Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Book 6 Finished + Release Date Confirmed !!

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Book 6 Finished + Release Date Confirmed !!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-05, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fun crossword ... 13 min for me. Only got stuck on Draco's mother's name ....

I'm defnitely ready for the new book. I'll probably read it all next Saturday ... the real question will be when to go to sleep. Last time I read a couple of chapters, went to sleep, then woke up early and finished it. Maybe I'll repeat that this time.
Old 07-10-05, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The only thing that got me were a few spelling pieces.
Spoiler:
penseive and grimmauld

Last edited by Daniel-A; 07-10-05 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-10-05, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=rvi:1:1v_home

First leak. Authentic. Some store in Canada stocked them early. Booyah.
Old 07-11-05, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel-A
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=rvi:1:1v_home

First leak. Authentic. Some store in Canada stocked them early. Booyah.
Argh. As if I wasn't paranoid enough about spoilers. Maybe I should just stop going on the internet starting now, lest I be spoiled.

What kind of hole was the person who put them out living in? I mean, really. They track the trucks shipping them using GPS, put everything under lock and key and make the stores sign contracts, just to have some clueless idiot stick them out

I didn't realise the release date was so close until last Saturday, so I won't have enough time to read all 5 books again because of work, so I'm just going to read the last two.
Old 07-11-05, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I reserved my copy at B&N the other day. A little late, but not too late. Main reason for waiting is that I'm unsure I'll have time to read it given the huge number of other books I'm currently reading. Also, though I got Order of the Phoenix hardcover when that one came out, I never actually read the book until the softcover edition came out. It's just hard for me to read hardcover books. I prefer to be able to carry the entire book in my hand, to read it with one hand, etc. Hardcovers, especially for long editions such as the HP books are just awkward to carry around/read....imo. But I will try to read this once I get it, after I finish The Magician's Nephew.
Old 07-11-05, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I emailed the auctioner saying that he lowballed the auction with a $250 bin when the first stolen copies were being sold for 50000 pounds. Here is his response
50000 pounds!!!!!!!!!! Holy !@%# Thats crazy. Oh well, I couldn't have sold it anyways, ebay cancelled the listing, as well as I had some guy report me to the publisher. I had to return the book though, cause I paid by debit card and they tracked me down and said I could be sued if I didn't return it. This is so crazy, It's only a book!!! It's been fun though, seeing all the response I got from my auction! Thanks!!!
Old 07-11-05, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I work for a company the distributes magazines and books and when I got to the warehouse today there were 5 pallets of the new Harry Potter books. I so wanted to just take one home and read it.
Old 07-11-05, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No way could they sue someone if they didn't return the book. The book was put out so it was legally for sale (as far as the customer goes). The bookstore is the one that violated the rules, not the customer. What if the person had lost the book or sent it as a birthday present to a relative 3000 miles away, are they going to get arrested since they can't produce the book? I don't think so. As I heard, it, they were offering an incentive to return the book. Something signed by the author.

What I would do would be to read the book (some seem to be able to read these in a day or so), then return it for the incentive and just get it again on release day.
Old 07-11-05, 09:47 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, that's odd.

I could see them suing it for putting it up on eBay since he was selling it before the street date.

Not sure how they could sue him for not taking it back after taking down the auction.
Old 07-11-05, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

He may have been overexaggerating. From the sound of the notices up on the HP fansites there was no way for them to force it back. They only offered incentives in exchange as well as their copy of the book.

As for being sued for selling it early, the distributors/retailers have to go through contracts and agreements regarding those things. He had no contract with anyone. What he buys is perfectly legal to resell.
Old 07-12-05, 10:45 AM

But look at how they got his info... He paid by debit card. So his bank sold him out. If my bank gave away my personal info, I'd be suing them.
Old 07-12-05, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
I need to get on the ball and order the book...Im skeptical about Amazon as well, but I will just go ahead and do it through them. I dont think Ive ever been this excited over a book before, but I did just start reading and getting into HP last year so.
I did Amazon for this last time. It got there when they said it would.
Old 07-12-05, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I went Amazon on this one. Didn't want to bother with going to the store and its craziness. Figured 12-17 hours longer wait after years won't be a problem.
Old 07-12-05, 05:47 PM

Reported chapter titles:

Spoiler:
1-The Other Minister
2-Spinner's End
3-Will and Won't
4-Horace Slughorn
5-An Excess of Phlegm
6-Draco's Detour
7-The Slug Club
8-Snape Victorious
9-Half-Blood Prince
10-The House of Gaunt
11-Hermione's Helping Hand
12-Silver and Opals
13-The Secret Riddle
14-Felix Felicis
15-The Unbreakable Vow
16-A Very Frosty Christmas
17-A Sluggism Memory
18-Birthday Surprizes
19-Elf Tails
20-Lord Voldemort's Request
21-The Unknowable Room
22-After the Burial
23-Horcruxes
24-Sectumsempra
25-The Seer Overheard
26-The Cave
27-The Lightning-Struck Tower
28-Flight of the Prince
29-The Pheonix Lament
30-The White Tomb
Old 07-12-05, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Must....not...read Spoilers....must Not....
Old 07-12-05, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Kal-El
Must....not...read Spoilers....must Not....
/me agrees. Must not read spoilers, must not read spoilers.
Old 07-12-05, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I went with Amazon as well. Plus, they seem to guarantee that you'll recieve it on Saturday or you get your money back. So it's pretty much win win, as far as i'm concerned
Old 07-12-05, 08:49 PM

Ugh, I suck at staying spoiler free. I spoil every single show I watch on TV, but I will not read those titles. I began highlighting them, but then somehow stopped myself.

Ok, fine, I read the first few.
Spoiler:
Snape Victorious?
Hmmmmmmm.

Why is it not Saturday yet?
Old 07-12-05, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I went with Amazon as well. Plus, they seem to guarantee that you'll recieve it on Saturday or you get your money back. So it's pretty much win win, as far as i'm concerned
That's what I figure. I did it for the last book & got it about noon on the release day. That's good enough for me. I don't need it at 12:01. If for some reason it fails to arrive I'm sure I'll be able to find one somewhere in town.
Old 07-12-05, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Scarecrow
I'm sure I'll be able to find one somewhere in town.
I don't know... There are only 10.8 million copies to go around.
Old 07-12-05, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think it may actually be difficult to find if you haven't preordered it. The 10.8 million is worldwide, not for the US alone. OotP wasn't easy to come by for a while, and there wasn't as much hype over it as this one, but there were less copies overall. I'll be happy with Amazon if they guarantee it, I believe it.
Old 07-12-05, 10:47 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I imagine there will be plenty around. Maybe be slight scarce for a week or two if you dont' get one the first couple days.

I'm in no rush, I just started re-reading the whole series, and I'm only 2/3's through book 2 now. I'm planning to order it from Amazon when ever I get my next GC for my credit card reward. Probably be sometime next month.

Though if I get through the books before I get the GC I'll just pick one up at Target or Wal-mart and use the GC on something else.
Old 07-12-05, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I imagine there will be plenty around. Maybe be slight scarce for a week or two if you dont' get one the first couple days.

I'm in no rush, I just started re-reading the whole series, and I'm only 2/3's through book 2 now. I'm planning to order it from Amazon when ever I get my next GC for my credit card reward. Probably be sometime next month.

Though if I get through the books before I get the GC I'll just pick one up at Target or Wal-mart and use the GC on something else.
I don't know when I'll get around to reading it (yeah right Ill probably drop what I'm doing to read it when it comes), but I wanted to make sure I bought it release day for that 1st edition feel. I like my books to be first editions. Understandably there will be over 10 million firsts, so it won't be so precious, but I still like it.
Old 07-12-05, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Daniel-A
I think it may actually be difficult to find if you haven't preordered it. The 10.8 million is worldwide, not for the US alone. OotP wasn't easy to come by for a while, and there wasn't as much hype over it as this one, but there were less copies overall. I'll be happy with Amazon if they guarantee it, I believe it.
You may be right, but I know when OotP came out it was everywhere I went for about a week. It then was scarce for about another week or two & was again everywhere. I guess we'll see. I'm not worried about it though, I'm sure my Amazon copy will arrive as scheduled.

I'm sure I'll spend most of the weekend reading the entire book, just like last time.
Old 07-13-05, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm figuring on strolling into Walmart at about 12:30 on Saturday morning ... hopefully enough time for the crowd to thin out.

BTW, I read that the incentives for returning the already-bought copies of the book to the publisher were a HP gift pack and a copy signed by Rowling ... not too shabby.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.