Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Is Davinci Code better then Angels and Demons ?

Old 12-01-04, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is Davinci Code better then Angels and Demons ?

I started Angels and Demons with much anticipation, as many of my friends had been raving continuously about this man´s books...but....

To be honest...I laughed out loud as I started reading his contrived and forced narrative introduction. The inner thoughts of the main character are ridiculous, and I felt like he was talking down to me the whole time. I read ahead to some of the scenes with the assasin, and again felt ridiculed by the writing style with its reliance on cliche and tired ¨action english.¨

I have heard he is quite good at using historical legend and fact to bolster his stories, but if I can´t get past the scribe I won´t be able to hear the story. To be honest I read the first 15 pages, and couldn´t read anymore.

Should I try Davinci Code ? Is it more of the same ? Do any of you also feel this way about Dan Brown´s writing style ?
I have read genre fiction in the past, such as Stephen King, John Grisham, and Clive Barker but have never been so take aback by such poor writing. Am I alone in this world ?
Old 12-01-04, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Feel free to merge me with the other thread, as I have just found it and some basic answers to my questions.
Old 12-01-04, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I actually liked Angels and Demons better than DaVinci Code. However, neither are really expertly written...
Old 12-01-04, 07:57 PM

Re: Is Davinci Code better then Angels and Demons ?

Originally posted by darkessenz
I have read genre fiction in the past, such as Stephen King, John Grisham, and Clive Barker but have never been so take aback by such poor writing. Am I alone in this world ?
Definitely not...

DJ
Old 12-01-04, 10:09 PM

Ugh. I've been trying to finish "Angels and Demons" for the past two months. I dread reading "The Davinci Code" if the writing is as equally pedestrian, but my wife is encouraging me to read since we just visited the Louvre a couple months ago.

"Action English." I like that description.
Old 12-01-04, 11:58 PM

DaVinci Code is better, IMO. It has a better plot and most importantly is missing the utter stupidity that's in the finale of A&D.
Spoiler:
the helicopter escape
But... if you can't past his writing style, might as well hang it up now. I've read all 4 of his books and the style is the same in all of them. Also all use the same basic formula.
Old 12-02-04, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I read the first fifty or so pages of "Angels and Demons" and absolutely loathed it.

The writing is pedestrian and the characterization is atrocious.

The concept behind "Da Vinci Code" sounds intriguing (and I am interested in such things) but I find Brown to be such a shitty writer I don't want to even bother.
Old 12-02-04, 10:05 AM

I actually preferred Angels & Demons over The DaVinci Code. That being said, Dan Brown is the best dime store novelist out there.
Old 12-02-04, 10:42 AM

I tried reading Angels & Demons when Da Vinci Code first took off because it was the first book to feature the Robert Langdon character. I couldn't really get into it and gave up after about 150 pages. Even so, after all the hype, I eventually had to give Da Vinci Code a try. I loved it; couldn't read it fast enough. So, I decided to give Angels & Demons another shot, picking it back up where I left off. After another 100 pages, I gave up again, this time for good. It seems like Angels & Demons has more action, but the "historical" speculation is far less interesting and far less prevalent than in Da Vinci.

The short version: just because you hate Angels doesn't necessarily mean you'll feel the same way about Da Vinci.
Old 12-03-04, 12:24 AM
Retired

I liked both, but enjoyed A&D more. Just more exciting.

Both are pretty shallow action adventure novels. DaVinci just got a lot of press over uproar from Jesus freaks.
Old 12-03-04, 08:59 AM

I liked both books and found them to be an easy read. I don't care for his writing style, but the history angle kept me hooked. If it wouldn't have been for that, I never would have finished either book.

Brett
Old 12-06-04, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
I enjoyed A&D more than DaVinci Code, but IMO the writing style is the same for both books.
Old 12-06-04, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I enjoyed Da Vanci Code a little more than Angels and Demons, but found both books very good easy reading. My husband also gives DC a slight edge as well based on his recent travels to Paris and a tour that he took while there, he found it fun to trace the sights in the book.
Old 12-07-04, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I liked A&D more (until the end...cause seriously wtf?) but also found the books to read very much the same.

My biggest complaint with Brown's books (and I hope this changes as I like his popcorn style of writing with facts spinkled on top ) is that they follow the same patterns. A&D, Digital Fortress, and Da Vinci code even have the same exact "cat & mouse" story, a very similar romance story, and a similar "mega" twist in all of them (ones you can call after reading any of the books). The hero in DF also reads just like Langdon. But whatever, I should stop complaining since they're fun books. You should probably look elsewhere though since its more of the same IMHO.

Here's hoping Deception Point is a bit different.

Last edited by boredsilly; 12-07-04 at 02:38 AM.
Old 12-27-04, 08:11 AM

I just finished Angels and Demons over the weekend and I really liked it (even though there was the one part in the end that I agree was WTF?). It's been a year since I read TDC so I have a hard time saying which I liked more so I will call it a tie.

Not sure if this will ever be made into a movie (likely will if TDC does well) but while I was reading this book, it made me think about the movie Se7en quite a bit. If they didn't pull any punches in making this into a film, this could be one kick ass thriller of a movie.
Old 12-27-04, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Newsweek has a speical out right now all about the Davinci Code. Haven't sat down to read it yet but it looked good. It had images of the pictures talked about in the book at least.
Old 12-29-04, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk God

I hate most all history. Having said that, the only history I have studied and liked is Biblical history. I kind of enjoyed DaVinci but it required too much suspension of belief. It would be like watching Raiders of the Lost Ark and all of the Nazis being African American. It is still a great show, but you know there are problems that make it tough to truly enjoy. If you don't know much about the history of the Council of Nicea, various early church leaders, etc. then you will probably enjoy it. Especially if you enjoy a good "conspiracy" read. A&D was more exciting, but I would say I prefered DaVinci. It is like reading a good novel wrapped around how we didn't land on the moon. You can still enjoy it if you don't mind suspending belief to various degrees, or especially if you believe the conspiracy, I suppose.
Old 12-29-04, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I liked A&D better than DVC. they, as well as Digital Fortress, are the same basic plots/books. Not great lit, but fun to read.
Old 10-17-05, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

read A&D 6 months ago and just finished da vinci code

they are both about the same. in both cases it seems the enemy is the catholic church and after reading a few scholarly papers i think he takes some liberties with the way he presents his research. I was surprised that he actually revealed what he thinks the Holy Grail is since if it is ever revealed it may turn out to be something else.

The weakest puzzle was newton's orb. I guessed APPLE a few pages before he revealed it.
Old 10-17-05, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by al_bundy
I was surprised that he actually revealed what he thinks the Holy Grail is since if it is ever revealed it may turn out to be something else.
So what? He's laughing all the way to the bank.
Old 10-21-05, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
dime store novels that have hit it big.

in a nutshell.

I liked them both - but when you read even more Brown, you realize he only writes one story type.
Old 10-23-05, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

thought DaVinci was pretty good, but loved the shit out of Angels & Demons...although, being a Catholic, maybe I was more invested...

MATT
Old 03-09-06, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just wanted to discuss A&D since I just read it. I liked the book quite a bit. That being said I really liked the set up more than the resolution. There were quite a bit of WTF kind of moments. I also think that it required more suspension of belief than I initially suspected it would have. He seemed to have a lot of his research down pat on history and art but failed miserably at the science. I guess I am just spoiled with Chricton's mastery of basing fiction on science. I too found his writing style a little odd. Very uneven. Some of it would read great while other parts were quite childish and too "set up" for the audience.

The ambigrams are amazing though. The artist who came up with those is quite talented.
Old 03-09-06, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I rank them equally because A&D has some parts that are as good, if not better than DVC, and vice versa. When the fuck is Solomon Key coming out?????
Old 03-10-06, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I REALLY dislike DaVinci Code & found Angels and Demons to be readable. If you didn't like A&D though, I wouldn't bother with DaVinci.