DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 08-21-16, 10:38 PM   #426
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: A song of ice and fire [potential spoilers if watching tv show or partway thru bo

Anyone planning on going to the Con of Thrones next year?
Old 08-24-16, 02:29 PM   #427

Re: A song of ice and fire [potential spoilers if watching tv show or partway thru bo

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentbob007 View Post
Anyone planning on going to the Con of Thrones next year?
yes I think so
Old 07-23-17, 01:20 AM   #428
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

GRRM with an update:

Winds is still, you guessed it, months away from being finished.

He's apparently been so busy working on just the WoW that his book on the history of the Targaryen kings has become so big that it will be split into two volumes with volume I possibly out in 2018.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

My Countdown Counting down to: Summer Vacation
Old 08-12-17, 06:24 PM   #429

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX View Post
GRRM with an update:

Winds is still, you guessed it, months away from being finished.

He's apparently been so busy working on just the WoW that his book on the history of the Targaryen kings has become so big that it will be split into two volumes with volume I possibly out in 2018.
Volume 2 to be released in 2043
Old 08-13-17, 05:16 PM   #430
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone else ready for this guy to just give these duties to ghost writers who work from his outlines?
Old 08-13-17, 05:49 PM   #431

I think he will just end up dying like Robert Jordan and then someone will finish off the series from his notes. He already shared his ending with the television show creators. Football season is starting now, so he won't get anything done for the next 5 months on the main stuff. He will work on side projects like Wild Cards or his history book. February he will say h the Winds of Winter will be ready by the end of the year 2018 and it won't.
Old 08-14-17, 03:36 PM   #432
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
Anyone else ready for this guy to just give these duties to ghost writers who work from his outlines?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonG617 View Post
I think he will just end up dying like Robert Jordan and then someone will finish off the series from his notes. He already shared his ending with the television show creators. Football season is starting now, so he won't get anything done for the next 5 months on the main stuff. He will work on side projects like Wild Cards or his history book. February he will say h the Winds of Winter will be ready by the end of the year 2018 and it won't.
While I wouldn't want to see this pimped out to hired hands like Tom Clancy or what Brian Herbert did with Dune, I really don't see Martin finishing out the seven book cycle. He might get Winds of Winter out in three or five years, but he's taking longer and longer between books (five betwen ASOS and AFFC, six between AFFC and ADWD, and now 6+ between ADWD and TWOW). The Red God only knows how long it would take him to complete the final book.

I would not object to having a ghost writer complete the series if Martin is unable to do so, however.

And, unless something has changed, this is all academic anyway, because Martin has said that, upon his death, all of his notes and unpublished/uncompleted manuscripts are to be destroyed.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 08-15-17, 05:40 PM   #433

Well unless he burns his stuff as he is dying, I can't see his family passing up the chance to make millions off of his stuff, last wishes or not. Tolkien's family has been mining his notes for decades for some good money.
Old 08-16-17, 06:08 PM   #434

Just got an email about a forthcoming anthology called Book of Swords which contains a new GOT story. So I guess he side tracked himself again on another project before finishing Winds.