Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

A song of ice and fire [potential spoilers if watching tv show or partway thru books]

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

A song of ice and fire [potential spoilers if watching tv show or partway thru books]

Old 11-18-11, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,429 Likes on 1,043 Posts
re: A song of ice and fire [potential spoilers if watching tv show or partway thru books]

Originally Posted by burnside986
I think it generally takes about a year for the paperback version of a book to get published. And youre right about FoC and DoD being concurrent up till say the last 5th(?) of the book takes the story further along (i.e. you get some POV character chapters that tie up was was in FoC and sets up more clifhanger type things)
Thanks for the info. I think I'll wait for the Dance paperback, I've got plenty of other books to read in the meantime.
Old 12-28-11, 07:12 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 269 Likes on 204 Posts
re: A song of ice and fire [potential spoilers if watching tv show or partway thru books]

GRRM posted a sample chapter from The Winds of Winter today

It's from the POV of
Spoiler:
Theon

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/if-sample.html
Old 12-28-11, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Good to know he's working on book six.

(Unless this is one of the chapters from ADWD that was taken out of that book and pushed into TWOW.)
Old 12-29-11, 09:30 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just hope MArtin lives to write the rest of these books. He doesn't look like the healthiest of dudes s o it would suck if he isn't able to finish these beasts
Old 12-29-11, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Years ago I bought the first book and loved it so I went looking for more. Sadly, there were no more. Over the years I collected the books but experience taught me not to read more until he finished the series. Exactly when is that expected? Is he pulling a Jordan?
Old 12-29-11, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by MrX
GRRM posted a sample chapter from The Winds of Winter today

It's from the POV of
Spoiler:
Theon

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/if-sample.html
i am just starting book three, and like an idiot clicked the spoiler.

well i guess i know who will be around for awhile longer now.
Old 02-20-12, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 162 Posts

Just started book three. These are quite addictive and I would love to power on through. However, the fact that he, unlike JK Rowling, takes so much dang time to write his books means I run a great risk of forgetting what happened from book to book. I try to pace myself, but once I'm in the state of mind to visit Westeros , I tend to want to stay there.

I guess I could power through and hope the HBO series keeps going to act as my refresher.
Old 02-22-12, 03:17 AM
Mod Emeritus

Apropos of the last post...

... based on Book Talk recommendations I bought the first four or five of these a few years ago and lined them up to read once the series was complete.

I'm now actively contemplating repeating what I did with the "Wheel of Time" series i.e. passing them on to a nephew and spending my resources on authors more willing/able to work to a schedule...
Old 02-23-12, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Checked out that summary site and while I did not really read any spoilers, it does inform me of which characters POV are used for upocming chapters. Seems the Martin starts to try and incorporate very random ones in FoC and carries on into Dragons. The first two books were pretty good, and the third seems fine right now, but these chapters seems to indicate he is turning this into a plodding mess with no end in sight; like he stopped making decisions on what would and wouldn't fit and just started putting everything in despite its relevance to the plot.
Old 02-23-12, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Yeah, that is a concern.

There aren't a lot of multi-book epics that are actually great. Most of the time it seems like the stories start to spin out of the writer's control and turn into a big mess. Also, most writers change over time, and they're not the same writer they were ten years ago, so book four/five/six/seven will be a completely different animal than book one.

Really, are there any four-plus book series that maintain their quality over a decade? Not Dune. Not Hyperion. Not Moorcock's endless "eternal champion" bullshit. Anne Rice's vampire chronicles turned to shit. Asimov's revisited robot/foundation universe wasn't the same as the originals.
Old 02-24-12, 09:18 AM
FM

It's not that Martin throws in random people; he simply started calling some chapters a sort of nickname of the character from whom the perspective is given. Rather than use the character's name, he uses the nickname as a sort of calling card of their role in the story.
Old 02-24-12, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Some might argue JK Rowling was able to maintain quality with Harry Potter , but since that was for kids, at least initially, it may not count.
Old 02-24-12, 02:24 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Checked out that summary site and while I did not really read any spoilers, it does inform me of which characters POV are used for upocming chapters. Seems the Martin starts to try and incorporate very random ones in FoC and carries on into Dragons.
By the time you get to Dragons, the scope of the story is much bigger and almost all the characters that have POV chapters are in different parts of the world. Martin's at his best IMO when he's writing the smaller characters because he has to make their chapters matter. A lot of the fat that can be cut from the books is found in the central characters, in the case of Dragons that would be
Spoiler:
Tyrion, Jon, and especially Dany
Old 03-01-12, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

In regards to Jeyne

Spoiler:
Is Jeyne pregnant with Robb's child?
Old 03-01-12, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished A Feast for Crows and I didn't think it was as bad as everybody makes it out to be. It obviously wasn't as good as A Storm of Swords but it was still pretty good. Some of the Cersei chapters kinda drag on. Of course I'm saying this not having to wait 5 years for it to come out and another 6 for the other half of the story. I can see how that might be infuriating Looking forward to reading A Dance With Dragons, but I'm gonna catch up on some other books first. I'm hesitant to hurry and plow through ADWD because then I'll have to join the wait like everybody else and who knows how long that will be.
Old 03-01-12, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MrX
By the time you get to Dragons, the scope of the story is much bigger and almost all the characters that have POV chapters are in different parts of the world. Martin's at his best IMO when he's writing the smaller characters because he has to make their chapters matter. A lot of the fat that can be cut from the books is found in the central characters, in the case of Dragons that would be
Spoiler:
Tyrion, Jon, and especially Dany
Sad part is is that two of those characters people have been waiting for years to see what happens. It was kinda sad what we got.

Spoiler:
Jon being an ineffectual leader and Tyrion turned into a fucking jester macking on an apparent retarded midget.
Old 03-02-12, 10:41 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
In regards to Jeyne

Spoiler:
Is Jeyne pregnant with Robb's child?
That's one of the most debated questions that we don't know the answer to yet.
Old 03-17-12, 06:54 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QlJblxV3QHQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

About 30 minutes in GRRM reads another chapter from the WoW.

This time it's a POV from
Spoiler:
Victorian
Old 03-18-12, 12:46 PM

Wonder why The Chronicles of Amber are rarely mentioned. At one time, it was considered one of the best alongside LoTR and the Foundation series.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, that is a concern.

There aren't a lot of multi-book epics that are actually great. Most of the time it seems like the stories start to spin out of the writer's control and turn into a big mess. Also, most writers change over time, and they're not the same writer they were ten years ago, so book four/five/six/seven will be a completely different animal than book one.

Really, are there any four-plus book series that maintain their quality over a decade? Not Dune. Not Hyperion. Not Moorcock's endless "eternal champion" bullshit. Anne Rice's vampire chronicles turned to shit. Asimov's revisited robot/foundation universe wasn't the same as the originals.
Old 03-21-12, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Re: Apropos of the last post...

Originally Posted by benedict
I'm now actively contemplating repeating what I did with the "Wheel of Time" series i.e. passing them on to a nephew and spending my resources on authors more willing/able to work to a schedule...

The final book in the Wheel of Time comes out Jan 13th 2013. So dust off and start reading

While it sucks that Jordan died before finishing, he wrote/dictated a wealth of notes and sometimes full chapters for the conclusion of the series. Brandon Sanderson has done an excellent job with the last 2 books and I assume the final one will be just as good.
Old 03-22-12, 03:14 AM
Mod Emeritus

Re: Apropos of the last post...

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
The final book in the Wheel of Time comes out Jan 13th 2013. So dust off and start reading
The time has come and gone for that particular chore as the eight or nine volumes I possessed now reside with my nephew 100+ miles away and my current to-read shelf contains probably a year's worth of reading.

What I may do, after that final volume is published, is simply to read the Sanderson instalments so I can get a sense of closure - having read the first four or five multiple times back in the day.

But, especially now that I'm moving house and reviewing my overall collection for any "fat", said nephew will very soon receive the G Martin works about which this thread is mainly concerned. And I'll stick with more focussed authors in future to avoid disappointment.
Old 03-25-12, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Steven Erikson's Malazan empire series.

10 books series, some books are obviously better than others, but overall, he was able to maintain the quality he set. It is very dense and not for everyone, but if you can get into it, it is amazingly deep and some of the most memorable characters.

Unlike GRRM, he also wrote 3 (maybe 4) shorter novels in the same universe, and he just completed book 1 of another trilogy that deals with one of the main characters in the original series.
Old 04-23-12, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just read a significant event in Storm of Swords.
Spoiler:
Does GRRM have something against women? He seems to have them suffer a lot in his books and when they die it is in a very brutal manner. Granted, the same happens with the men, but he seems to like going into more detail when it's a female character. Catelyn's death was brutal to read, as she is reflecting on the fact that her husband is dead,has just seen Robb murdered, and is under the impression all her children save for Sansa are dead as well. All of this after pleading for her and her son's life. The description of her lying on the ground succumbing to her wounds while she mentally begs them not to cut her hair before slitting her throat was wrenching. Q: were there actually ravens tearing at her face, or was that just the pain she was feeling? In this universe it's hard to tell metaphors from real things sometimes.
Old 04-23-12, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Just read a significant event in Storm of Swords.
Spoiler:
Does GRRM have something against women? He seems to have them suffer a lot in his books and when they die it is in a very brutal manner. Granted, the same happens with the men, but he seems to like going into more detail when it's a female character. Catelyn's death was brutal to read, as she is reflecting on the fact that her husband is dead,has just seen Robb murdered, and is under the impression all her children save for Sansa are dead as well. All of this after pleading for her and her son's life. The description of her lying on the ground succumbing to her wounds while she mentally begs them not to cut her hair before slitting her throat was wrenching. Q: were there actually ravens tearing at her face, or was that just the pain she was feeling? In this universe it's hard to tell metaphors from real things sometimes.
You definitely aren't the only one to notice that.
Old 04-25-12, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by birdseye
I just finished A Feast for Crows and I didn't think it was as bad as everybody makes it out to be. It obviously wasn't as good as A Storm of Swords but it was still pretty good. Some of the Cersei chapters kinda drag on. Of course I'm saying this not having to wait 5 years for it to come out and another 6 for the other half of the story. I can see how that might be infuriating Looking forward to reading A Dance With Dragons, but I'm gonna catch up on some other books first. I'm hesitant to hurry and plow through ADWD because then I'll have to join the wait like everybody else and who knows how long that will be.
I began the series about a year ago. I have 20% left in Feast. I too have mostly enjoyed it. I wonder how much I would have like it if I waited over 5 years for it and than another for Dance.

Reading Amazon customer reviews. Many people dislike Feast, but they really hate Dance. It's like they slogged through Feast, after a long wait, only to wait another 5 for another rambling book adding many minor charactors.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.