Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

A song of ice and fire [potential spoilers if watching tv show or partway thru books]

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

A song of ice and fire [potential spoilers if watching tv show or partway thru books]

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-11, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
re: A song of ice and fire [potential spoilers if watching tv show or partway thru books]

Tried getting back into Thrones. I really need to get it in nook format as I am growing accustomed to reading in that format. However, I do enjoy having the appendices, character lists, and maps only a turn away. Will probably keep the book for that reason and then read on the nook itself.
Old 04-11-11, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts
re: A song of ice and fire [potential spoilers if watching tv show or partway thru books]

I don't know if this has been asked yet...since Feast and Dance are the same timeline but for different set of characters, will it matter what order they're read in?
Old 04-11-11, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard that Dance will actually include some chapters that continue the Feast storyline, so I would stick to the publishing order.
Old 04-27-11, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

http://grrm.livejournal.com/212603.html

Old 04-27-11, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
YES!!!

Now another 6 years for the next and by the time my son graduates high school I can finish the series. I would love HBO to green light the entire series provided GRRM finishes the last book in 6 years time to coincide with 7 seasons of the show.
Old 04-28-11, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Dammit, dude, spoilers! I haven't watched that version yet!

Great news. I need to get books 3 & 4 and get to reading. I want to get my wife into this series, she seems interested in the show now.
Old 05-05-11, 06:58 PM

I eagerly look forward to Dragons. I only finished Crows about a year ago, so my wait hasn't been as epic as those who read the books as they were published.
Old 05-08-11, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The more I think about it, the more I worry that GRRM might kill off one or more fan-favorite characters in this book just to get back at the never-ending grief and hostility that a vocal minority of people have subjected him to over the past several years.

Then again, that'd be awfully petty and short-sighted in the grand scheme of things.
Old 05-08-11, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Martin would never kill off a fan favorite! Have you even read the books?
Old 05-09-11, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Are there any characters left? I thought he killed them all off in the first three books.
Old 05-16-11, 02:57 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts

Sorry if this was posted, I searched and it didn't come up, but Martin mentioned on his blog yesterday that
Spoiler:
Ser Barristan Selmy

will be a POV character is ADWD.
Old 05-16-11, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Xander
Are there any characters left? I thought he killed them all off in the first three books.
I heard in the first 3 chapters, Jon dies when he is on watch on the wall and a fierce storm comes along and freezes him instantly, Tyrion finds Dany but they are both killed in a revlot by the former slave owners and Arya is murdered when she is outed as a Faceless Man.
Old 05-17-11, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by MrX
Sorry if this was posted, I searched and it didn't come up, but Martin mentioned on his blog yesterday that
Spoiler:
Ser Barristan Selmy

Old 05-17-11, 02:12 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by MrX
Spoiler:
Ser Barristan Selmy

It's been so long that I barely remember who this dude is.
Old 05-29-11, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Philzilla
It's been so long that I barely remember who this dude is.
Hes the dude

Spoiler:
that was the commander of the kingsguard but got dismissed for being "too old" by Jeoffrey and made his way eventually to serve Dany in her Queensguard
Old 06-13-11, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished the series again, and the wait for the next one is going to suck worse than this current wait. This next book is only suppose to be the other half of characters from AFOC and we will get no updates to King's Landing. I hope he changed his mind on this as I really want to see the Freys and Cersei dig their own graves a little deeper.
Old 06-16-11, 08:12 PM

I believe Dance is also supposed to conclude some of the events from Feast.
Old 06-16-11, 09:52 PM

Well, I pre-ordered it, goddammitsomuch.
Old 06-20-11, 09:41 AM

I'm going to bitch just a little bit more, sorry.

If you've been buying each book as it is released in hardback, you've got at least four different cover styles. I only have books 1, 3, 4 and 5 in hardback (next month in hardback for Dance), but I believe that the cover art for books 2 and 3 is the same style (yet different than book 1), book four is different than 1,2, and 3, and book 5 will be different than all of the others.

Last edited by Alvis; 06-20-11 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-20-11, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I am totally with you, it is annoying how they keep changing. I really wish they would have stuck with the style of book 2 & 3.
Old 06-20-11, 04:46 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Suckers. I sold my physical copies a while ago because I ran out of room. I now own the books on Kindle only, so I don't really care about the trade dress.
Old 06-20-11, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Maybe when the final book is released they'll do a run of hardcovers in matching set.
Old 06-21-11, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Maybe when the final book is released they'll do a run of hardcovers in matching set.
And when that happens our children's children will say, "What are these 'print books' you speak of, old man?"
Old 06-22-11, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Maxflier
I am totally with you, it is annoying how they keep changing. I really wish they would have stuck with the style of book 2 & 3.
I feel the opposite of you. I HATE the 2 & 3 covers above. These type of covers remind me of all the crappy fantasy books out there.
Old 06-22-11, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

At least they didn't plaster HBO logos all over the hardcover like they've done with the MMP of the first 4.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.