Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

A song of ice and fire [potential spoilers if watching tv show or partway thru books]

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

A song of ice and fire [potential spoilers if watching tv show or partway thru books]

Old 08-09-13, 12:11 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: A song of ice and fire [potential spoilers if watching tv show or partway thru books]

Its almost like he gets writers block and tries to distract himself with other projects. There really isn't any other reason, that I can think of, for stretching things out so far between books. Especially knowing that your age and health are issues, you'd think you would want to get things written before it resorts to another author trying to complete your work through notes you left.
Old 08-19-13, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts
re: A song of ice and fire [potential spoilers if watching tv show or partway thru books]

It's especially frustrating that the last two books weren't really self-contained, and ADWD ended on multiple cliffhangers. While the previous books did end on a couple of cliffhangers there was still a much stronger sense of closure for most of the characters. I would hate to see the show be forced to end the story before the books. I want to read the ending from George, but even if I refuse to watch the final season I feel like it would be impossible to avoid spoilers considering how popular the show has become.
Old 08-19-13, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

I still have a feeling that it's going to take more than two books to finish the "Song."
Old 08-20-13, 01:38 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Canis Firebrand
Its almost like he gets writers block and tries to distract himself with other projects.
This is pretty much how I see it: somewhat akin to a certain Mr Ellison but probably with more overall success and somewhat less prickliness.
Old 12-07-13, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 275 Likes on 177 Posts

Started reading the novels after season 3 ended. Loving it, fantastic stuff.

I'm a little over 200 pages into "A Feast for Crows". Believe I'm on a Brienne chapter in her search for Sansa.

My only gripes are the songs and dream sequences (especially of Bran), don't like reading those. Hell I just skip over any lyrics now.
I really appreciate that the show has decided that fools and singers are not worth including.

Another thing I've noticed. A good portion of season 3 was dedicated to Theon's torture at the hands of Ramsey Snow. That hasn't been mentioned once yet, and I'm 25% through book 4. I guess that part of the story is in book 5?

Tyrion chapters are my favorite. Jon's are pretty good too.
Old 12-08-13, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Osiris3657

I'm a little over 200 pages into "A Feast for Crows". Believe I'm on a Brienne chapter in her search for Sansa.

My only gripes are the songs and dream sequences (especially of Bran), don't like reading those. Hell I just skip over any lyrics now.
I really appreciate that the show has decided that fools and singers are not worth including.

Another thing I've noticed. A good portion of season 3 was dedicated to Theon's torture at the hands of Ramsey Snow. That hasn't been mentioned once yet, and I'm 25% through book 4. I guess that part of the story is in book 5?

Prepare to be disappointed. AFfC and A Dance with Dragons run semi concurrently with ADoD running a bit after the events of AFfC. They were split up by character chapters. So no Tyrion and Jon until the next book. Theons "adventures" likewise take place in ADwD.
Old 12-08-13, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pay attention to the songs and lyrics, they are often foreshadowing big events and provide historical background to events as well. Especially the singers, they are very important and there are theories that one of them can see the future.
Old 12-08-13, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I should pick up the audiobooks of these, I have to get into GOT one of these days, and I want to read the books first. That is if Martin ever finishes them.
Old 12-23-13, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Who is everybody rooting for to take the Iron Throne? My answer:

Spoiler:

Old 12-23-13, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Every time this thread gets bumped I think that Martin has announced he's finished Book Six.

Then I remember that that ain't gonna happen during football season.
Old 12-23-13, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 168 Likes on 119 Posts

I thought there would be an announcement of yet another side project to further keep him from finishing Book Six -- he's made me as cynical as the world that he writes about.
Old 12-23-13, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I gave up a few years ago. Only the excellent TV adaptation has brought my interest back, and I can't wait for it to overtake his books in a few years.
Old 12-29-13, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Who is everybody rooting for to take the Iron Throne? My answer:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I believe will actually turn out to be Shireen
Old 12-29-13, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm only halfway through the first book, but I think it's pretty obvious that Ned Stark is going to be the next King.
Old 12-30-13, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I'm only halfway through the first book, but I think it's pretty obvious that Ned Stark is going to be the next King.
spoilers!
Old 12-30-13, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
spoilers!
DO NOT READ BELOW IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE BOOKS

Spoiler:
Posts like Josh Da Mans are so great, because you know the complete and utter shock there will be when the "main character" in Ned loses his head. Such a great moment in fantasy literature. Other moments in ASOIAF are unpredictable, gut wrenching and emotionally devastating events, but nothing hits as hard as Ned when it happens and especially when you realize a couple chapters later Ned is truly dead and no fantasy resurrection is coming. Then you know that truly anything can happen in this series. (unfortunately, GRRM did bring the magic resurrection card into play in the books, the one area I truly wished he had not gone, and looks like Jon will be miraculously saved next book as well)
Old 12-30-13, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
DO NOT READ BELOW IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE BOOKS

Spoiler:
Posts like Josh Da Mans are so great, because you know the complete and utter shock there will be when the "main character" in Ned loses his head. Such a great moment in fantasy literature. Other moments in ASOIAF are unpredictable, gut wrenching and emotionally devastating events, but nothing hits as hard as Ned when it happens and especially when you realize a couple chapters later Ned is truly dead and no fantasy resurrection is coming. Then you know that truly anything can happen in this series. (unfortunately, GRRM did bring the magic resurrection card into play in the books, the one area I truly wished he had not gone, and looks like Jon will be miraculously saved next book as well)
Easy reason why
Spoiler:
Jon has to die and be brought back so he can leave the Night's Watch and not be an oath breaker.
"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death." I assume GRRM has bigger plans for fan favorite Jon Snow than commander of the Night's Watch as people speculate what his fate will be.
Old 12-30-13, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by chowderhead
Easy reason why
Spoiler:
Jon has to die and be brought back so he can leave the Night's Watch and not be an oath breaker.
"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death." I assume GRRM has bigger plans for fan favorite Jon Snow than commander of the Night's Watch as people speculate what his fate will be.
Spoiler:
I understand the reason (to free him of the NW when Mel resurrects him) but I actually hope he is just dead. I think it would be a good twist.
Old 01-01-14, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
I believe will actually turn out to be Shireen
Spoiler:
If she can escape Val and the wildlings. They seem to be terrified of greyscale, and right now all hell is about to break loose on the Wall. That's what I'm looking forward to the most in TWOW, seeing the aftermath of Jon's assassination.
Old 01-08-14, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 275 Likes on 177 Posts

Finished "Crows" tonight and starting "Dragons" tomorrow.

I liked "Crows". Sure, nothing as dramatic as the events in the previous 3 books happens, but there are interesting things taking place.
Spoiler:
Arya on the way to becoming a Faceless Woman, Sansa not being a meek little baby anymore, Jaime becoming kind of a good guy, Cersei getting busted by the High Septon for her plotting and scheming, the drama between Doran Martell and his daughter and brother's bastard daughters, Brienne being sent to kill Jaime who she has developed feelings for, etc. It was a nice read.
Old 01-08-14, 11:33 PM

Finished "Crows" tonight and starting "Dragons" tomorrow.

I liked "Crows". Sure, nothing as dramatic as the events in the previous 3 books happens, but there are interesting things taking place.
Spoiler:
Arya on the way to becoming a Faceless Woman, Sansa not being a meek little baby anymore, Jaime becoming kind of a good guy, Cersei getting busted by the High Septon for her plotting and scheming, the drama between Doran Martell and his daughter and brother's bastard daughters, Brienne being sent to kill Jaime who she has developed feelings for, etc. It was a nice read.
Spoiler:
That's what makes Jamie such a great character because you could (and in my view should) that Jamie was the only person who truly acted nobly in Robert's rebellion, yet he is the one scorned and ostracized and Robert and Ned received all the glory.
Old 01-09-14, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Spoiler:
That's what makes Jamie such a great character because you could (and in my view should) that Jamie was the only person who truly acted nobly in Robert's rebellion, yet he is the one scorned and ostracized and Robert and Ned received all the glory.
Spoiler:
We heard his side of the story which may or may have gone down exactly as he claims. He is still reprehensible for shoving Bran off the window.
Old 01-09-14, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by chowderhead
Spoiler:
We heard his side of the story which may or may have gone down exactly as he claims. He is still reprehensible for shoving Bran off the window.
Spoiler:
No doubt that is unforgivable. But it doesn't really address the fact that he acted correctly in terms of Aerys, and pretty decently after that
Old 01-10-14, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
GRRM definitely telegraphed that one, and also how Ned's eldest son Rob would succeed him to the throne.
Old 01-10-14, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Lastblade
GRRM definitely telegraphed that one, and also how Ned's eldest son Rob would succeed him to the throne.
Spoiler:
That's cruel.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.