Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

thoughts on jonathan strange and mr. norrell?

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-04, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

surprised no one has been talking about this...

i went to a signing thurs. night because of the incredible buzz i'm hearing about this book. i was surprised (kinda) to see so many sci.fi enthusiasts at the signing. i swear the conversations and mix of people added some fascinating people-watching while we waited for suzanna clarke...mostly talk about tolkein (one guy was wearing a replica of the ring), michael gaimen, some sci.fi book convention, etc.

anyway, sounds very interesting and i can't wait to get into as soon as i'm thru with my current book. anyone here in it yet? thoughts?
Old 09-22-04, 10:39 AM

Hgar78, I'm also quite surpised that this hasn't featured (more prominently?). Officially, here in the U.K. it's not out until the 30th of September but I've manged to pick up an early copy and I'm a little over a third of the way through. The pace is leisurely to say the least. I was initially worried that the extensive footnotes would mar my reading pleasure but they're actually enhancing the whole alternate history. I really enjoyed the Napoleonic Wars section. I'm hoping it (continues to) live[s] up to my ever-increasing expectations. I'll get back to you as soon as I'm done
Old 09-22-04, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw it in the bookstore. It was wrapped in plastic, had no clue as to its contents aside from a Neil Gaiman blurb, so I promptly forgot about it. I'm not about to drop $30 on a book if I can't be allowed a peek inside. Jeez.

Later I stumbled upon it on amazon, checked out the synopsis, and ordered it yesterday.
Old 09-24-04, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
I started reading it this week and I'm finding it quite enjoyable. The pace is certainly slow but this is the type of book that rewards a careful read as the abundant footnotes not only flesh out the story but also hint at upcoming events.
Old 09-24-04, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heard about this book awhile back... forgot about until I saw this shrink-wrapped boat anchor in a Borders while browsing. It sure is a chunky sucker. Not exactly a mobile read...

With STL and the 40% off from Amazon, it seemed like a bargain for all that paper.

I look forward to its arrival.
Old 09-28-04, 04:24 AM

JS & MR

Right, finished this late last night. By necessity it's going to have spoilers and therefore my opinion will be concealed...

Overall, I was quite pleased with the book. The layering of the alternate history, the use of footnotes the general writing style (and for the most part, leisurely pace) was immensely enjoyable. It got off to a slow start but when the focus shifted to Dr. Strange the narrative picked up. As previously mentioned - the Napoleonic Wars interlude was immensely enjoyable.

However, the last 100 or so pages were it's 'downfall'. The pace picked up in what appeared to be an all-out too-fast attempt to wrap-up the plot. The interlude in Venice - especially the events leading up to the appearance of Dark Tower were badly drafted and uninvolving (although Lord Byron did make me laugh). The resolution was adequate - I did particularly like the fate of Lascelles but the fate of 'Thistle-Down' was almost an afterthought. And the ending was left too open-ended (paving the way for a sequel?) as regards the ultimate fate of Norrell and Strange.

Good, but not great - there's a fine dividing line. I'd cautiously recommend it bearing in mind the above