DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Any Dennis Lehane fans?

Fixed.
Old 07-24-09, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finished Gone Baby Gone, and I preferred the movie. Granted, I haven't seen the movie in quite a while, but when I did see it, I loved it. The book seemed to have too many twists and turns for my liking.
Old 08-07-09, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the order of the Kenzie/Gennaro books? I've read A Drink Before The War and Darkness, Take My Hand. Which one is next?
Old 08-08-09, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A Drink Before the War (1994)
Darkness, Take My Hand (1996)
Sacred (1997)
Gone, Baby, Gone (1998)
Prayers for Rain (1999)
Old 08-09-09, 11:06 AM

Sucks, you guys have me wanting to read the Kenzie/Gennaro series but the first one is not available on the kindle...
Old 10-05-09, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

From today's Boston Herald:

Boston mystery man Dennis Lehane is going back to the future. His next book is a sequel to his 1999 best-seller “Gone, Baby, Gone,” and is set 11 years after detectives Patrick Kenzie and Angie Gennaro’s toughest case.
Old 10-05-09, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh, cool
Old 10-05-09, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice. Glad to see the series will continue (I am assuming Patrick and Angie are in it). I've got to get around reading the first and third of the series.
Old 11-11-09, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Latest Dennis Lehane interview with Craig Ferguson a couple of nights ago. WARNING: CLIP CONTAINS SPOILERS FROM THE WIRE:

<embed width="560" height="340" embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ix2jKXNfc38&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" ></embed>
Old 11-12-09, 07:22 PM

How is The Given Day?
Old 11-21-09, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by witty alias
How is The Given Day?
Given the lack of replies to your question so far, maybe it's okay that I chime in with an unofficial reply. As of this date, I've made two attempts at reading THE GIVEN DAY but neither try made it past a hundred pages...and I like baseball too. Again, this is sort of off-the-record since it isn't fair to comment based on less than a hundred pages, but the first thought that springs to mind in regard to the book is "bloated"...lots and lots of words to say not so much...maybe you can say that the filler helps to create "atmosphere" but my preference is for writing that accomplishes the same with a well-struck single sentence as opposed to full paragraphs. I do own the book, so I'll take another swing at it sometime down the road, at the same time I'll have to really work up the interest to do so.
Old 11-25-09, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by witty alias
How is The Given Day?
I'm about 300 pages in, and I'm enjoying it. Though I guess I can sympathize with Flixtime, as the book takes a long time to unfold. The "Luther" character is just now starting to fit into the main crux of the story (the Coughlins) but it took a while for that to happen. I'm hoping the remainder of the novel is a bit more focused now that its happened.
Old 07-05-10, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

BUMP

Originally Posted by djmont
Boston mystery man Dennis Lehane is going back to the future. His next book is a sequel to his 1999 best-seller “Gone, Baby, Gone,” and is set 11 years after detectives Patrick Kenzie and Angie Gennaro’s toughest case.
Lehane's forthcoming Kenzie/Gennaro book - MOONLIGHT MILE - is releasing November 2nd, and is up for pre-order at Amazon. Following is a little about the new book (caution: don't read what follows if you haven't yet read GONE, BABY, GONE as it contains spoilers for that previous book):

Spoiler:
New York Times bestselling author Dennis Lehane delivers an explosive tale of vengeance and redemption in this brilliant sequel to Gone, Baby, Gone—heralding the long-awaited return of beloved private investigators Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro.

Amanda McCready was four years old when she vanished from a Boston suburb in 1997. Desperate pleas for help from the child’s aunt led savvy, tough-nosed investigators Kenzie and Gennaro to take on the case. The pair risked everything to find the young girl—only to orchestrate her return to a neglectful mother and a broken home.

Now Amanda is 16—and gone again. A stellar student, brilliant but aloof, she seemed destined to escape her upbringing. Yet Amanda’s aunt is once more knocking at Patrick Kenzie’s door, fearing the worst for the little girl who has blossomed into a striking, bright young woman who hasn’t been seen in two weeks.

Haunted by the past, Kenzie and Gennaro revisit the case that troubled them the most, following a 12-year trail of secrets and lies down the darkest alleys of Boston’s gritty, blue-collar streets. Assuring themselves that this time will be different, they vow to make good on their promise to find Amanda and see that she is safe. But their determination to do the right thing holds dark implications Kenzie and Gennaro aren’t prepared for . . . consequences that could cost them not only Amanda’s life, but their own.
Old 08-10-10, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Fantastic news. I'd call Moonlight Mile more of a follow-up to GBG than a sequel (that was Prayers for Rain) but it sounds like a can't miss.

And going back to The Given Day: while a departure from Lehane's previous work, I thought it was brilliant. As I mentioned in a previous post, things take a while to unfold. But I found it enthralling as things came together.
Old 08-10-10, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm a big fan of Lehane, but still haven't read The Given Day. Definitely have to get around to it though.
Old 08-11-10, 11:56 AM
Banned

As for The Given Day, I was a bit taken aback at first, but soon got into it, I think it;s a matter of being willing to accept the time period the book is set in.
Old 11-08-10, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm in the middle of Moonlight Mile right now and am really enjoying it. Things have definitely changed from the last book, but so far, it's a great read.
Old 11-12-10, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Finished reading MOONLIGHT MILE the other day. I thought it just okay...quick and harmless enough I suppose...not unenjoyable. While I didn't have grand expectations for this work, I was still hoping for better. I thought Lehane really lost the character of Patrick Kenzie...the whole time I didn't sense I was following an investigation with Patrick Kenzie but instead with Dennis Lehane. In the first half especially, there is just too much bitching and bellyaching from Lehane on every topic under the sun, and too much about children, and too much about the economy. I mean a lot of this type of material felt like I was reading a Dennis Lehane personal/social commentary/grumpy-old-man blog and not a mystery novel. All of this delayed the plot from really kicking into gear until later on. At only 25 chapters/324 pages (lots of short dialogue lines and last page of chapters ending with just a few lines at the top of a page), I will say it was a super fast read. MOONLIGHT MILE felt like something in the ballpark of early Crais or Coben except maybe with less humor and more whining. Keep in mind that I haven't read any of the Kenzie/Gennaro books in a long time...I read the last - PRAYERS FOR RAIN - when it first came out in hardcover and that was a long while back. Thus, I have no recollection really if the earlier books were of the same style/tone that I'm bemoaning now.

One point I found rather odd, followed by a couple of other thoughts on the book:
Spoiler:
Kenzie not being familiar with the Russian crime group Solntsevskaya Bratva. He's an experienced private investigator and yet he isn't familiar with one of the leading crime syndicates in the world? And didn't Angie somehow have a family connection to the Italian mob...I seem to recall that from an earlier novel...so that'd make me wonder even more why he was so unfamiliar with the Russian mafia.

MOONLIGHT MILE really felt like a rather disinterested effort from Lehane as if he were tired of all the "when are you going to do another Patrick/Angie book" questions and wrote it to bid fond farewell and close the door on that part of his past...unless of course he finds himself in need of cash sometime down the road in which case I'm sure he'd be grateful to have them return.

I will say that the Amanda McCready character is rather intriguing and it would be interesting to see her spun-off - along with the Russian mobsters - into a novel of her own. But I don't see that happening as I sense that Lehane has more highbrow literary aspirations, along with his continued TV/movie work.
Old 01-27-13, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.amazon.com/Live-Night-Nov...=live+by+night

Anybody pick up "Live By Night" yet? As soon as I get some extra money next week or the week after, I'm on this one.
Old 08-24-16, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
http://www.amazon.com/Live-Night-Nov...=live+by+night

Anybody pick up "Live By Night" yet? As soon as I get some extra money next week or the week after, I'm on this one.
I liked Live by Night quite a bit. For those who didn't like/finish The Given Day, its not really a prerequisite to move ahead in the Coughlin series. Ben Affleck has shot the film version of Live by Night and is due out late 2016/early 2017.

I'm about 100 pages in on World Gone By-- the follow up to Live by Night-- and its decent. Stephen King calls it "the best gangster novel since the Godfather." I'm not so sure about that.

The Drop was okay, it was based of the movie screenplay and reads pretty much the same. I thought Moonlight Mile was fun enough, but definitely seems like a money grab. I read an interview from Lehane who said he may revisit those characters again at some point.

He also says his next novel (which I assume will be released next year) is about a marriage where the wife is convinced that her husband is living a double-life.