Reload this Page >

Places to sell back college textbooks?

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 08-11-04, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My summer session ended and i'm wanting to get rid of a couple of my graduate textbooks and i was wondering if anyone knew of a place that would give you decent cash back for them other than going the ebay route? I looked at Amazon but i just feel a bit uncomfortable giving them my bank account number to let them handle the payments.

And in case anyone is curious why i'm not selling them back to the college bookstore the reason is my classes this summer were web based classes so the drive to the bookstore would be around an hour and a half one way. In case it matters these are texts for masters level education classes.
Old 08-11-04, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
Try half.com
Old 08-12-04, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Half or ebay will get you the most cash. I'm just outside a University, and here they have vans that are parked around campus that buy back books, but they only offer about the same as the bookstore,which is crap.
Old 08-13-04, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Places to sell back college textbooks?

Originally posted by xmiyux
My summer session ended and i'm wanting to get rid of a couple of my graduate textbooks and i was wondering if anyone knew of a place that would give you decent cash back for them other than going the ebay route? I looked at Amazon but i just feel a bit uncomfortable giving them my bank account number to let them handle the payments.

And in case anyone is curious why i'm not selling them back to the college bookstore the reason is my classes this summer were web based classes so the drive to the bookstore would be around an hour and a half one way. In case it matters these are texts for masters level education classes.
I sold mine on Amazon, they deposit the payments twice a month. I haven't had any problems with giving them my bank account information.
Old 08-16-04, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does the college have some sort of message board? Try posting them on that. When I was a college I put up messages and also the paper flyers and ended up selling my old books for a good amount more than I would get at the bookstore.
If the course is being taught again and using the same book, you will probably get more of a response than other routes. Then just send the books to the person.

You'll get more than at the college store and whoever buys them will get books cheaper than the store (remember not to try to get what the store sells them for or nobody will want them)
Old 08-20-04, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xmiyux: this may be a dumb question, but is your school also located an hour and a half away from you? I'm thinking it probably is but if there's a school near you that offers similar classes or uses the same textbooks it may be worthwhile posting up signs that you have these books for sale. Especially with a new fall semester coming up, you should get at least a few calls. You could also contact your professor to see if he's willing to announce to his new class that you have the course books available for sale... Good luck...
Old 08-20-04, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by sexymama
xmiyux: this may be a dumb question, but is your school also located an hour and a half away from you? I'm thinking it probably is but if there's a school near you that offers similar classes or uses the same textbooks it may be worthwhile posting up signs that you have these books for sale. Especially with a new fall semester coming up, you should get at least a few calls. You could also contact your professor to see if he's willing to announce to his new class that you have the course books available for sale... Good luck...
Yeah my school is that distance from me and unfortunately none of the schools near me offer a Masters in Education so they don't use any of the books i have. I figure i'll have to make the trip down to my school to pick up a book for my fall class (assuming i can't find it online in time) so perhaps i can sell my other books back then.
Old 01-10-06, 09:09 PM

^ bump

Anyone have suggestions?
Old 01-10-06, 09:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RevLiver
I sold mine on Amazon, they deposit the payments twice a month. I haven't had any problems with giving them my bank account information.
I did the same. Sold about two dozen texts soon after I graduated and didn't have any problems.
Old 01-10-06, 09:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xmiyux
Yeah my school is that distance from me and unfortunately none of the schools near me offer a Masters in Education so they don't use any of the books i have. I figure i'll have to make the trip down to my school to pick up a book for my fall class (assuming i can't find it online in time) so perhaps i can sell my other books back then.
And FWIW, most of the books I sold on Amazon were texts for my MA in Education. Pretty good market for used Ed. texts on Amazon, I found.