DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/book-talk-18/)
-   -   What Are You Reading Part 26 [August] (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/book-talk/377891-what-you-reading-part-26-%5Baugust%5D.html)

Sparrow 08-01-04 11:45 AM

Reading -

Eragon (Inheritance - Book 1) by Christopher Paolini - just started this one, kicks into high gear immediately, haven't been able to get into it just yet.

Just finished - The Juror by John Grisham - interesting read, I really enjoyed the pace and the characters, didn't get too muddled in the courtroom scenes.

lukewarmwater 08-01-04 10:54 PM

I'm in the middle of ANIMAL FARM

I'm also reading short stories from NIGHTMARE TOWN, by Dashell Hamet

Just starting war of the worlds and catch 22.

I also just bought kavalier and clay but the book is like 900 pages long and animal farm is like 90.

PorkChopExpress 08-02-04 01:53 AM

Reading Southern Fried Rat and Other Gruesome Tales by Daniel Cohen. It's a collection of spooky, gross urban legends--pretty cheesy stuff. Transports me right back to my childhood.

tofu 08-02-04 01:55 AM

Just finished "The Wind Up Bird Chronicle" by Haruki Murakami and I'm gonna re-read "Catcher in the Rye." Haven't read it since high school so I'm looking forward to it.

Geofferson 08-02-04 08:42 AM

Finished Dan Brown's Deception Point over the weekend...

...and started Thomas Perry's Death Benefits.

PalmerJoss 08-02-04 12:42 PM

Now reading Bone One Volume Edition, then I may move on to Anne Siddons' The House Next Door.

DJLinus 08-02-04 03:38 PM

I can finally resume reading for pleasure!

I'm about 1/3 of the way through David Sedaris's Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim. Funny stuff.

If I get bold enough, I'll tackle The Count of Monte Cristo (unabridge, 1500+ page version).

Edit to add that these were on my reserve list at the public library and just came in:

Give Our Regards to the Atom Smashers!, edited by Shawn Howe

Give Me a Break : How I Exposed Hucksters, Cheats, and Scam Artists and Became the Scourge of the Liberal Media... by John Stossel

RevLiver 08-02-04 03:41 PM

Almost done working my way through The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. This is the third time I'm reading them in the past 16 years (second time for Mostly Harmless). I'm on the last of the 5 books now.

Up next - Jim Crace - Being Dead

B.A. 08-03-04 08:29 AM

I'm in the middle of Ambrose's Pegasus Bridge.

mugwump 08-03-04 03:37 PM

I've been on a reading bender as of late. Here's what I've read in the past few weeks and what's on tap:

Sky of Swords by Dave Duncan -- Decided to finish up the King's Blades trilogy at long last. Decent enough book but the twist ending was a groaner.

The Red Hourglass by Gordon Grice -- A series of short articles about various dangerous creatures. Pretty interesting and very short.

Bringing Down the House by Ben Mezrich -- What a hoot! Almost made me want to start gambling.

The Fall of Berlin by Anthony Beevor -- An excellent, readable history about the end of World War Two and destruction of eastern Germany.

The Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson -- I'm trying hard to like this immense fantasy series and after importing the first five books from the UK I feel obligated to read the darn things. This is the second book and I just keep looking for excuses to read something else as evidenced by list above.

Beaver 08-03-04 10:41 PM

I'm reading the Bourne trilogy by Ludlum.

Braddok 08-04-04 09:09 AM

Blue Horizon by Wilbur Smith

Joem 08-04-04 11:44 AM

Just got 5 new ones:

Hidden Prey by John Sandford
Tietam Brown by Mick Foley
The Narrows by Michael Connelly (sp)?

And then 2 other books I checked out from the library, one called "The Codex" and another called just "Codex". Seem to have similar themes. Not sure if I'll get around to reading them.

wmansir 08-04-04 08:39 PM

I just finished Wolves of Calla by Stephen King and I'm 2nd on the reserve list at the library for Songs of Susannah. In the meantime I picked up Salem's Lot because it's one of the few classic King books I missed and one of the characters came on as a major character in Wolves and is going to be in SoS too.

I also got Asimov's Foundation and Foundation and Empire and I picked up The Year's Best Science Fiction 2002 which contians two dozen short stories. I haven't started them yet, but I plan to this week

costanza 08-04-04 09:09 PM

my dad had lonesome dove in his get rid of pile. so i'm checking it out.

jkester 08-05-04 05:07 AM

I read Chuck Palahniuk's "Non-fiction" in the first couple hours of flying from Kuala Lumpur to D.C. (It's called "Stranger than Fiction" here, but, being in Malaysia, they had the Brit edition). It was pretty great.

indiansbsa 08-05-04 07:59 AM

Brimstone by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child

Ironically when these authors write solo novels they tend to become predictable yet together they write brilliance...;)

FrankTheTank 08-05-04 12:36 PM

About half-way through Hannibal right now.

benedict 08-05-04 01:27 PM

Needed to read some shorter books to get my numbers up!

Nearly finished Fred Pohl's "The Cool War".

Tommy_Harn 08-06-04 09:46 AM

"Gone, Baby Gone" by Dennis Lehane

theneobez 08-06-04 10:18 AM

James Joyce's A Portrait of The Artist as a Young Man

BDB 08-07-04 12:35 PM

trying to read david sedaris - naked, not feeling it just yet

Anjanettea 08-08-04 05:36 PM

Finished <b> Mob Star: The Story of John Gotti - Mustain & Capeci</b> in 2 days.

Very interesting reading, especially since I was watching the <i>Gotti movies</i>, and the <i>Growing Up Gotti</i> within the past week.

I'm considering re-reading <b>Underboss - Peter Maas</b>.

rkndkn 08-09-04 05:43 PM

Just finished Lynne Truss' Eats Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation.

Tommy_Harn 08-10-04 01:11 PM

Originally posted by Tommy_Harn
"Gone, Baby Gone" by Dennis Lehane
I lied. Its really Darkness, Take My Hand, also by Dennis Lehane