Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

The Official Dark Tower Discussion & Questions Thread [SPOILERS!]

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-04, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by collven

Also, did anyone else notice King slipping up a couple of times regarding Susannah. Here is a part of one line, "... Susannah leaped to her feet and began to scream again." And a few paragraphs later, "...and once more slipped to her knees...". I'm suprised the editor didn't catch that. It jumped out at me when I read it.
I didn't notice that, but yeah, it's a pretty major flaw!
Did anyone else think at the end that
Spoiler:
when Susannah told Patrick she wanted him to create something, that she'd ask him to add legs on to her picture? That would have been a perfect thing to add to the ending, IMHO.
Old 10-05-04, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by collven

Also, did anyone else notice King slipping up a couple of times regarding Susannah. Here is a part of one line, "... Susannah leaped to her feet and began to scream again." And a few paragraphs later, "...and once more slipped to her knees...". I'm suprised the editor didn't catch that. It jumped out at me when I read it.
Spoiler:
I think this was intentional, and was used to illustrate Susannah's grief at discovering that Eddie had been shot.
Old 10-06-04, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by plasmar
Spoiler:
I think this was intentional, and was used to illustrate Susannah's grief at discovering that Eddie had been shot.
I don't think so. He could have said she leaped up or something instead of specifically saying she leaped to her feet. I'm not positive, since I haven't read the whole series in a long time, but I think King slipped up in one of the earlier books, too, and mentioned something about Susannah standing up or having feet. Again, I'm really not sure though.
Old 10-06-04, 07:47 PM
BVS

I finished this a few days ago, and now that I've had some time to reflect upon it, I'd like to share my thougts on a few things.

1. I REALLY liked this series

2. I didn't like how everyone in novels 5, 6 and 7 picked up the Calla way of speaking. It jarred me out of the story. For the first four books I got used to a certain mid-world culture, dialect, and way of speaking, and all of the sudden I get a completly different version. I was fine while the ka-tet was in the Calla, but as soon as they left I don't get while everyone continued to speak with the "if it does ya" and "do ya ken" and I don't see any reason for some of the characters they met who had never been to the Callas to be speaking that way.

3. Concerning the ending:
Spoiler:
I have some mixed feelings about it. It's certainly not what I expected, but after letting it soak in I'm starting to think it's pretty cool. King actually set it up pretty well with the mentions of deja vu and the constant references to ka being a wheel and to 19. But it still caught me off guard. I believe that this is Roland's 19th trip up the tower. (hence the 19) King calls it a "curse" I'd like to know why he's cursed to do this, and what could break it... but I sort of think he's doomed to repeat the search for the tower until he doesn't let the quest totally consume him and he's able to attain the tower while still holding on to his humanity (and he came damn close this time) The fact that Roland has the horn when he starts out across the desert this time gives me hope that this is the time he'll make it. I actually think that maybe Browning's poem that inspired this story "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came" is the story of Roland's 20th and final trip to the tower. (read it, you'll see) So all in all... I don't hate the ending. I think it has it's own merits... but I really question if this is the ending that King had in mind when he wrote that infamous first line, if he had one in mind that is.

4. I would have loved to see how this series had been different if King had never been in that accident. (I don't think he'd be in it for one)

5. Having King be a character in it was different, but I didn't really like it. I didn't see it as neccessary. *shrug*

Spoiler:
The "Dues Ex Machina" moment made me cringe

7. I know I'm in the minority here, but I greatly prefered the style of the original (unedited) version of "The Gunslinger" I think the sparse style was a better fit for the Gunslingers world than King's normal style, which he wrote the final 6 books in.
Old 10-08-04, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just finished it about an hour ago and I'm still digesting it.

Here are some random thoughts, including some agreement with previous comments.

After reading what I wrote below, I should say I focused on the negative, but I liked much of the book, particularly the adventurous story telling, which has been King's strength. The faults I see are mostly plot related.

Spoiler:
I was satisfied with the ending in the Tower and I would have been pissed if King had left it out. And believe me I was when I though he might have. It's true that the meat is in the journey, but King has been dangling the carrot of Roland reaching the tower for 20 years. To abandon the story there would be criminal.

The deaths were sad and hard to get thru. Eddie's was obscenely drawn out. Jake's was diminished because it came so close on Eddie's shadow, and partly because of the whole King as character plotline which overshadowed it too.

I still don't like how King made himself a character. I think it destroyed a hell of a lot of the atmosphere by being distracting and unnecessary. It also stunk of ego, even though he denies it in the afterward. (He also comes off as a bit of an ass in the afterward when he talks about keeping his life private, don't call me and I won't call you etc.)

On the subject of King as character I'm reminded of the Buffy:TVS line "The subtext is rapidly becoming...um, text." Only King goes ten steps beyond this and grabs hold of the reader with a funnel, a push rod, and a bucket full of text.

Not having read Insomnia I thought I may have missed some subtext or even potential plot. Does Roland ditching the book have any significance? Could it have derailed him from his endless task? Which leads to...

The introduction of Patrick felt forced and an obvious deus ex machina. King seems to think that he can excuse that with a wink at the reader. Maybe reading Insomnia first would have softened the blow. Regardless, it made the confrontation with the Crimson King a letdown, as was the CK himself. I was much more disappointed with this aspect of the story than anything inside the Tower itself.

Susan's ending was also disappointing. Not that she left the quest, or even how she left the quest (although slightly that too), but the epilogue. It seemed to remove much of the sorrow from Jake and Eddie's deaths. In a way I wanted the relief, but more so I didn't want that. The magical fairytale quality of it wasn't very satisfying. Again, I think King knew he was blowing it by saying "I would like to say the lived happily ever after, but..." He knows that's exactly what he is giving us, but thinks by saying it's not, it won't be so.

It seems to me on many front's King knew the story was weak, and so he tries to excuse them. "I don't like endings, but they are traditional so here's one you probably won't like...", "He's a note that says Deus Ex Machina. See it's so obvious that I admit it so we can move on..." "I know I said that death was final for Eddie and Jake, but guess what...THERE BACK!, oh and this isn't a fairy tale ending."

As a result of stuff like this, I really felt the story was just King's ramblings. As much as his character was suppose to be relaying a real world, I felt much of the plot was a paper thin story, spun in whatever direction King felt like going. King's character/afterward just reaffirmed that feeling of a wandering storyline. Which is kind of sad because there is an awful lot of meat there in terms of character and atmosphere. I just don't think it was focused well.

I know some of you might be thinking "but it is just his story/ramblings" and I know that, but I shouldn't think that when I'm reading. Not if the story is good. And I didn't get that feeling all the time, just much more often than I should have.

EDIT: I wrote "I should think that", but I meant "I shouldn't think that".

Last edited by wmansir; 10-09-04 at 01:06 AM.
Old 10-08-04, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with a lot that's already been said, so I'll skip all of that and move to
Spoiler:
Mordred. I was expecting him to be more of a challenge and a threat. SK made such a big deal about Susannah and Mia's "chap" and his White Daddy and Red Daddy, that I thought he was going to play a much bigger part. There were only two things that I can think of that even made him a relevant character...he killed Walter (RF) and Oy. Everything else was just him following Roland and Susannah, thinking of how great it was going to be to kill his White Daddy...but then he was killed with a billybumbler bite and a few bullets. I always assumed he was going to die, but I thought he would put up more of a fight.
Old 10-08-04, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Spoiler:
Just finished this morning. I loved book 7 and thought it was a fitting conclusion to the series. Bittesweet, but satisfying.

That being said, I agree with some of the other points made here:

Mordred & CK seemed like were due more epic battles and grandiose deaths. Mordred basically just spent his entire life (literally) chasing Roland until Roland turned around and killed him.) CK's death was not the grand battle we were due.

Jake's death taking place so soon after Eddies made it seem like an afterthought. Roland seemed more upset over Eddie than Jake, his "true son". Did Jake really need to die again. He should have accompanied Roland to the Tower.

Cool to have Patrick from Insomnia but he should have been introduced earlier in the story. Perhaps an earlier book. It seemed odd that he walk the final miles with Roland after his entire ka-tet who had been with him forever were gone.

Damn, Oy dying and losing Jake were sad.

The "happy ending" in NY with Susannah was bittersweet. After all, even if she grows old with this Eddie and Jake, they ARE NOT the real Eddie and Jake. This is basically her just finding happiness with a new man that looks like her former love.

But all in all, I loved DT7. I can forgive the small things. Even King himself as a character. I really think just could have used another 500 pages.

I loved the ending. Roland will always be searching for his Dark Tower. But he is one step closer.

Oh yeah, good call to whoever above pointed out that this was perhaps Roland's 19th shot at the tower. Very interesting answer to the 19 question.
Old 10-10-04, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I finished the book and feel as if i have been anally raped. Jesus Christ! I could not believe
Spoiler:
that the Crimson King turned out to be so lame. That there was no duel between Flagg and Roland (same way I was pissed because there was no fight between Bruce Lee and Bolo in Enter The Dragon). That Mordred went out lamely. I mean WTF?!!
Since I didn't read Insomnia, I didn't know Patrick Danville and couldn't give two fucks about him. He erases the Crimson King('cept for his eyes)? That's it, that's all it took? Man, Ck was like a boss in the first level of a game.

The ending I didn't mind. Maybe(or, mayhaps) Roland will get it right the next time and just save the beams and forget about going into the Tower. Although someone in another thread theorised(sp?) that the poem the books were based on IS the actual ending.

Very emotinal when Eddie, and Oy were killed. Wasn't too teary eyed when Jake bought it.

I wonder how the books would have turned out if King didn't get run over?

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Old 10-10-04, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by smokedragon
Spoiler:
I wonder how the books would have turned out if King didn't get run over?
Spoiler:
Your not alone there. I doubt very much that he would have made himself a character if that were the case, but I'm not sure how much it would have effected the other aspects of the story. Based on the forshadowing of the pre-accident books I think the results would have been much the same, with Roland approaching the Tower without his Ka-tet, but beyond that I couldn't guess.

Of course, without the accident I don't know if we would have ever seen the end of the series. Surely it wouldn't be finished this soon.
Old 10-11-04, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by wmansir
Spoiler:

Of course, without the accident I don't know if we would have ever seen the end of the series. Surely it wouldn't be finished this soon.
Spoiler:
And there's the rub. People say that King rushed the books because the accident made him hyper aware of his mortality. He had to finish the books before he died, and, that his demise just might be around the corner.

Maybe he already had the ending thought out. I mean, it's a good ending. But, to build up Flagg, and the Crimson King as the BIG BAD's and then have one taken down by a were-spider, and the other taken down by a character that King just sort of threw in there as if to point out that he just really, honestly did not know how the fuck Roland would kill the Crimson King and just came up with something on the fly.What's it called again?Deus Ex Machina?

A thought just occured to me.Why didn't Patrick just draw his tongue back in his head, or give Detta her legs back, or Roland his fingers back? I mean he had the gift. Man, if I had that gift, I'd draw me a bigger....

Well, enough of that, I'm sure I'll get over the disappointment. Truly it was a good series, but, I think that I was so pumped up for big battles with the big bads that it has dampened my enthusiasm.

Let's just hope that George R R Martin doen't get run over.Hear me George?Take your damn sweet time!
Old 10-11-04, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by jay77
Spoiler:

Mordred & CK seemed like were due more epic battles and grandiose deaths. Mordred basically just spent his entire life (literally) chasing Roland until Roland turned around and killed him.) CK's death was not the grand battle we were due.

Spoiler:
On the subject of Mordred, didn't he kill Walter by paralyzing him with some control of his mind? That's what I thought anyway. If so, why couldn't he do any of that against Roland?

I definitely think the series was cheapened by the introduction of King to the story and the introduction of Patrick Danville right at the end to save the day.

Also, too many times I felt like King was just trying to increase sales in his other books by talking about them as being important. Desparation and Insomnia in particular. This is really cheap. How rich is he already? If the back story of characters from those stories is going to be important, just summarize it here or introduce them sooner.

Finally, I loved the ending. I think there was no better way to end it than Roland having to begin again but the reader having a glimmer of hope that it would be different next time. The last 200 pages or so were mostly heartbreaking. I had to put it down several times, especially with Oy's demise.
Old 10-17-04, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
BTW...did anyone see King during Sat. Red Sox Yankee game? When asked what books he had out, he mentioned 'The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon' pop-up version...is he embarassed about the Dark Tower, or is he such a schill that he pumped the book without the built in audience?
Old 10-17-04, 09:55 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by Tommy Ceez
BTW...did anyone see King during Sat. Red Sox Yankee game? When asked what books he had out, he mentioned 'The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon' pop-up version...is he embarassed about the Dark Tower, or is he such a schill that he pumped the book without the built in audience?
Yeah, I saw that. He talked about that book during his Good Morning America interview a few weeks back as well. Not sure why he didn't pump DT7 as it's his best work in years, IMO.
Old 10-21-04, 11:55 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Has anyone read the short story, "The Little Sisters of Eluria" from King's Everything's Eventual?

Last edited by Geofferson; 10-21-04 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-21-04, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Geofferson
Has anyone read the short story, "The Little Sisters of Eluria" from King's Everything's Eventual?
Yes, and I liked it a lot. It really has no impact on the Dark Tower series, but it's an interesting read.
Old 10-24-04, 08:44 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with many of the observations made here already, especially the rushed nature of this final trilogy. That said,

Spoiler:
I enjoyed the ending very much. For me that was beautiful irony that the line that opens the series, in fact, ends it - sweet! The death of Oy truly broke me up. More so than any of the others. Everyone Roland loves must eventually die.
Old 10-26-04, 10:07 AM

Spoiler:
Your not alone there. I doubt very much that he would have made himself a character if that were the case, but I'm not sure how much it would have effected the other aspects of the story. Based on the forshadowing of the pre-accident books I think the results would have been much the same, with Roland approaching the Tower without his Ka-tet, but beyond that I couldn't guess.

I know I read somewhere (maybe the Wizard and Glass afterword?) that King said that there was going to be 3 more books and one of them would occur in the past. I think he originally intended (pre-accident) for one of the books to cover the events of Jericho Hill, and I was a bit disappointed that we never got the details of that.

As for the the Insomnia mindtrap, I think that was just his explanation to get himself out of having to fulfill the prophecy as written in Insomnia.

While there were some disappointing elements to this book (CK, Mordred, and Walter), I still found it to be an enjoyable read, and I just glad we finally got an ending...
Old 10-26-04, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by hardcore
I know I read somewhere (maybe the Wizard and Glass afterword?) that King said that there was going to be 3 more books and one of them would occur in the past. I think he originally intended (pre-accident) for one of the books to cover the events of Jericho Hill, and I was a bit disappointed that we never got the details of that.

As for the the Insomnia mindtrap, I think that was just his explanation to get himself out of having to fulfill the prophecy as written in Insomnia.

While there were some disappointing elements to this book (CK, Mordred, and Walter), I still found it to be an enjoyable read, and I just glad we finally got an ending...
I thought what he said in the wizard and glass afterward was that 2 books would be in Roland's World primarily and 1 book in our world primarily.
Old 10-26-04, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by kcbrett5
I thought what he said in the wizard and glass afterward was that 2 books would be in Roland's World primarily and 1 book in our world primarily.
I think this is correct, although, I too, would have liked to read more into Roland's backstory.
Old 10-27-04, 09:41 AM

Now that you mention it, that does sound familiar... Well even though he's finished, maybe he'll find time to go back a do a short story to cover those events. Something like "The Little Sisters of Eluria"... I'd much rather see that than a revised Drawing of the Three/The Wastelands.
Old 10-27-04, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by Geofferson
Yeah, I saw that. He talked about that book during his Good Morning America interview a few weeks back as well. Not sure why he didn't pump DT7 as it's his best work in years, IMO.
Probably due to the fact that DT7 is book 7 in a series. Kinda hard to push people to go buy book 7 when they haven't heard of or read the first 6. The DT book is for the fans of the series, they are already there, no need for promotion.

The Girl who loved Tom Gordon book is pretty sweet. Checked it out at Target. Doubt I will buy it though.
Old 10-27-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah. TGTLTG pop-up sounds cool but I probably wont pick it up either. Who did the art? Pics?

(Probably the first time anyone has ever asked for pics in the book forum)
Old 10-28-04, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I finished the 7th book earlier this week and was disappointed with the ending. After having spent this much time and waiting so long for this book, I thought that there would be an ending but there isn't. It has made me question alot of things concerning the intent of Stphen King and the Tower itself.

If I could ask Stephen King just one question about this book, the question would be, Why do you hate the character Roland so much? I haven't read all of Kings books but all of them I have read, do have endings except for this one. King has cursed Roland to an eternal task that will have no ending, ever. He is like the character in Greek??? mythology that has to spend eternity in Hades pushing the boulder to the top of a hill. He gets the rock almost to the top and then it slips out of his hands and rolls to the bottom so he has to start all over again. The only difference between his eternal punishment and Roland's is that the greek guy remembers all of the attempts and thinks that he may make it this time and Roland has no/little memory of the tries before the current one he is on. Roland is just screwed. He has an irrational desire to achieve his goal of reaching the Tower at any cost and when he fianlly achieves what he thinks is the goal. Suprise Sucker, game reset. King has really got a hardon hate for Roland.

Other questions that occured to me are these. Is the Dark Tower sentient? Is it aware like the Beams are? If so, is it a force of good are evil? It seems to be using Roland rather poorly and I would say that is is an evil entity.

Could it be like/one of the machines that the ancients made and has since gone insane and uses Roland for sport to amuse itsself?

Why does it only send him back to the dessert and not all of the way back to Gilead? What did Roland do around the time he entered the desert that was such a crucial turning point that this is where his journey has to restart over and over again?

And for those of you that think that Susannah continued to live happily ever after when she left Roland. Why do you think that? The way I see it, is that everything resets. He has to do everything the same this time as in every time before. There can be no changes in the script or dialog. So when he reached the top of the Tower, everything everywhere reset back to where it was at that time and location when Roland was in the desert.

Which brings up another question. We have been told throughout this story that time only runs in one direction in the Keystone world and in Roland's world but with this info, we know that is not right. When Roland starts over again, he has to still draw the Three, he has to stop Sombra and North Central Positronics, he has to set up the Tet Corp to help save the Rose. He has to stop the breakers. All of this has to happen in the past if time only flows in one direction, therefore this is the classic paradox. Which means that the info we were fed was wrong.

I think King needs to go back to the drawingboard and rewrite a real ending to this story.

Just my two cents. But here is one more bit of food for thought. If Roland were real and if he read this story and if he were to meet Stephen King afterward. Stephen King would be one sorry person at that meeting.

Last edited by MScottM; 10-28-04 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-29-04, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by MScottM
And for those of you that think that Susannah continued to live happily ever after when she left Roland. Why do you think that? The way I see it, is that everything resets. He has to do everything the same this time as in every time before. There can be no changes in the script or dialog. So when he reached the top of the Tower, everything everywhere reset back to where it was at that time and location when Roland was in the desert.
That's not true
Spoiler:
When we are reading the story, Roland doesn't have his horn from Gericho Hill, but when he restarts his journey at the end of Book 7 he does have it. To me that means every time he has been to the Tower, he has realized something he has done wrong and somehow fixes it. He says something about it only would have taken a few seconds to have picked up the horn, and then he has it when he restarts.
Old 10-29-04, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by RaraFemina
That's not true
Spoiler:
When we are reading the story, Roland doesn't have his horn from Gericho Hill, but when he restarts his journey at the end of Book 7 he does have it. To me that means every time he has been to the Tower, he has realized something he has done wrong and somehow fixes it. He says something about it only would have taken a few seconds to have picked up the horn, and then he has it when he restarts.
Okay, I see what you are saying but you don't seem to get what I am saying. Maybe it doesn't have to be exactly the same in that he can turn rigth to scratch his butt instead of turning left. But the idea is the same. He has to reach the Tower every time. The Tower is an evil entity that is just playing with him. If there is no set goal other that getting to the top of the tower, (which he has done many times already), then there can be no possible change in the course of events or the inevitable outcome.

He needs to do everything exactly the same to get to where he got to all of the other times. Could he make it without drawing the three to him? No. Could he do it without saving the beam first? No. Could he do it without saving Stephen King in the book? No. All of the events would have to transpire the same way for him to achieve the goal of reaching the Tower.

As far as I can tell, the only way for him to win this game (because that is what this story is, one big video game with only 2 positions, start and wherever he may happen to be at the time in the game) is for him to die or give up his quest. He will never give it up if he doesnt realize what happens to him every time he reaches the Tower. And the Tower wont let him die. So he has no chance of winning without some outside intervention i.e. Stephen King character showing up at the tower and telling him what will happen when he reaches the top again.

Right now it is like an evil version of Groundhog Day (which was a great movie that I highly recommend). But even in Groundhog day the main character (Bill Murray) knew that there was a time loop. Without that knowledge, there is no way he can escape it. And what is more, there is no desire on his part to do anythig differently.

Each person is only the sum of all of their experiences. If you block out those experiences that explain what will happen when you do a certain thing, then you are destined to repeat the process over and over and over again.

How could there possibly be a different outcome without an outside influence?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.