Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

"Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim" by David Sedaris

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
"Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim" by David Sedaris

David Sedaris's "Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim," which will be released on June 1st, is easily my most anticipated book that comes out this year. I saw him speak back in October and he read a couple of pieces from it and they were hilarious. Every book (and magazine essay, for that matter) of his is great.

I'm debating about whether I'll get it the day it's released or just order it online and wait a while. I'm currently studying for the bar exam, so I have little time for pleasure reading. And when I do have free time, the last thing that I want to do is read (damn you, law school!). But I may just have to grab it, since I absolutely love his work.

Anyone else picking this up?

Amazon/Borders has it for $16.97 (w/ free shipping if you spend $25 there). It is $17.46 at Barnes and Noble's site. Any chance the B&M prices will reflect the online ones on Tuesday? Any lower prices online?

Last edited by DJLinus; 05-28-04 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-30-04, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really looking forward to this, but I'll probably have to wait until Friday to pick it up. If you don't have it yet, I also recommend his recent "Live at Carnegie Hall" CD.
Old 06-09-04, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Surely DJLinus and I can't be the only Sedaris fans here?

Anyway, I'm about half way through and loving it.
Old 06-10-04, 12:47 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I'll be picking it up ASAP. I saw him last year as well, at the same time DJLinus did.
Old 06-12-04, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mrs. RKillgore here, I'm stealing his login (don't ban him, It'll never happen again!)

I bought Sedaris' new one last week and I loved it. It didn't give me the belly laughs like Naked or Me Talk Pretty One day, in fact, a lot of the story seemed really mournful. We saw him perform last night and the strange thing was the sad stories are much funnier when he's reading them aloud. It's a whole different take then what I read into them. YMMV.

But if you do have some free time after your finals, pick it up, it's a good read. And last night, he told us that the novel will be #1 on the NYT Best Seller list. You know what that means? Thirty percent off at B & N and Borders!
Old 06-12-04, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts
The first three books store I check for this were sold out, but I managed to get a copy yesterday. I read the first couple of stories and really enjoyed them. I've been getting a few big laughs out of it.

I'd like to be able to see Sedaris do a reading. The stories do seem to take on a different tone when he reads them. I have two of his audio cassests that I like to listen to at work. I find that even though I am very familar with the sound of his voice and intonations, I don't hear that in my head when I'm reading him. I imagine it sounding different.
Old 06-17-04, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Well, I bought it the day that it came out, but haven't read it yet (studying for the bar exam really sucks). Guess I could've waited a bit longer and saved an additional 10% or so. Live and learn.

Last weekend I drove down to VA for a wedding and listened to my "Me Talk Pretty One Day" CDs. Man, that was a great book. Can't wait to actually start the new one.

Originally posted by Gamblor187
If you don't have it yet, I also recommend his recent "Live at Carnegie Hall" CD.
That CD is EXCELLENT! "Six to Eight Black Men" made it onto my annual Christmas CD last year.

Originally posted by Crocker Jarmen
The stories do seem to take on a different tone when he reads them. I have two of his audio cassests that I like to listen to at work. I find that even though I am very familar with the sound of his voice and intonations, I don't hear that in my head when I'm reading him. I imagine it sounding different.
I agree. To actually hear him do the Billie Holiday impersonation on "Giant Dreams, Midget Abilities" is a hoot. I have his new book on CD on reserve at the public library.
Old 06-18-04, 10:09 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
I might pick this up, I have seen so many people reading it.
Old 06-22-04, 03:48 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I loved Me Talk Pretty One Day, at some point in time hope to get around to reading "Dress Your Family"
Old 06-26-04, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've had the advance reading copy of this for a long time and it's probably my favorite Sedaris book now. Someone else said that it was funny but also mournful and I would completely agree with that assessment.
Old 06-27-04, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Sedaris is going to be on Letterman's show this coming Friday.