Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Anyone read The Rising by Brian Keene?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-04, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone read The Rising by Brian Keene?

I finished it about 2 weeks ago and found it to be one of the best apocalyptic type novels I have ever read. It is also already in my top ten favorite horror novels. With a fast pace, great characters and an interesting ending, I was only sorry when I was finished with it.

For those of you who read it, what did you think about the ending?

I personally liked it because

Spoiler:
You had to come to your own conclusions (until, at least, the sequel. Far too often authors spoon feed you everything, but not in this case.

Old 04-19-04, 01:24 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I haven't read it, but if it got Laymon's approval, I'll have to add it to my list.
Old 04-19-04, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read this in a night, very small book, & while I am a fanatic for anything with zombies or post-apocalyptic, I though the book was very boring & didn't really dig it too much. My main problem with it was the characters were all so bland. They were just cookie-cutter horror stereotypes.
Old 04-19-04, 07:19 PM

i agree with Sessa17 on every point. although i think keene is a competent writer i found this book to some moments were the dialogue was dull and a little embarrassing. additionally, some sequences didn't really flow very well and seemed kind of silly (the part where the two men go out hunting and what happens after comes to mind). as i am usually willing to overlook such flaws, the book is entertaining but not as great as many people claim it to be. so far i've only read this and Mark E. Rogers' "The Dead" and Rogers' book is the better of the two by far.

the ending was decent but i think i already knew

(possible spoilers)

that keene was making a sequel to the story and continuing the characters adventures.
Old 04-19-04, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I loved the book. I loved the characters. I think the only thing the book suffered from was it was not big enough. I wouldn't exactly call it small (it is over 300 pages), but I think
Spoiler:
a sequel is great because it can help develope the characters more

I believe two of the major reasons I enjoyed the book are
Spoiler:
Keene had no problem killing off likable characters (something that isn't done often) and the ending. The way it ended was brilliant. Sure, you figure a sequel was coming, but if it didn't, so what? Let the reader come to his or her own conclusions.

For a relatively new author, I think it is a strong start.

Claweight, is "The Dead" similar?
Old 04-20-04, 03:10 PM

Actually there was no plan for a sequel when The Rising was written. This is straight from the Brian. As far as what happened at the end if anyone would like to see the original ending drop by BrianKeene.com and sign up for his fan club. The original ending will be mailed out with next months newsletter. Knowing how the book was supposed to end I'm not really sure if people would like the book more of less if it had the original ending. Also check out Brian's new short story collection Fear Of Gravity it's will worth the price and includes so very kick ass stories. Also it's very to cool hear that someone else read The Dead.
Old 04-20-04, 04:07 PM

yeah i really enjoyed reading The Dead. Alien Redrum, there are a few similarities between this and the Rising (the undead stalking the living, civilization turned upside down, etc) but Rogers book goes further at a different angle. this is about an apocalypse as inspired from the bible. the characters who question religion (namely catholicism) are addressed in more detail than what Keene touched on in his book. The Dead is interesting in that it you really get caught up in the characters plight. it really feels like a hopeless situation because its basically the end for all those left behind after Judgement Day. i think being raised as a catholic (presently non-practicing) kept me reading because i related to what some of the characters were feeling. i highly recommend this book even to those who may be scared off by some of its theogical themes which are handled quite well.