Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Any suggestions for books similar to Jody Lynn Nye's Mythology series?

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-04, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This weekend I read Jody Lynn Nye's Applied Mythology and I have on order the fourth book in the series. Can anyone recommend any books that are similar?
Old 04-13-04, 02:58 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just based on the Amazon.com summary, you might try Terry Brooks' Magic Kingdom of Landover series. Theme is a lawyer in our "real" world who buys a "magic kingdom" only to be transported to another land where magic is real. Unfortunately, his kingdom is a bit of a fixer upper and he has to work hard to get things in shape before he gets killed in a duel he can't win.

I read it when it first came out ('86), but I thought it was pretty funny, as well as being quite an adventure.

Ms. Nye has also started collaborating with Robert Aspirin of they Myth series. His earlier solo works in the Myth series may be similar in tone and humor to Ms. Nye's (though I've never read here work, so I can't really say).
Old 04-13-04, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Esther Friesner has a couple of series, including the Magyk series (although this may be more plain fantasy,) as well as Gnome Man's Land, Harpy High, & Unicorn U. Then there is Demon Blues, Here Be Demons, and Hooray for Hellywood. She also has a few that are more serious, like New York by Knight and Elf Defense.

Craig Shaw Gardner has a few series, as well. The Ebenezum Trilogy and the Ballad of Wuntvor are just humorous fantasy, but he also has the Cineverse Cycle, as well as a couple of Sinbad books.

Lionel Fenn has some similar books, including the Kent Montana books.

Leo Frankowski has some books about a modern man getting sent back in time to 1300s Poland.

Rick Cook has a series about a computer programmer who becomes a wizard in an alternate world. Gordon R. Dickson's Dragon series is similar, although I don't recall if there is magic in that world.

The Castle series by John DeChancie has people from our world going to an alternate world with 144,000 different portals to other worlds, including magical ones.

There is Knight Life and Howling Mad by Peter David, which are set in New York.

I think the Robert Asprin/Jody Lynn Nye series starts with License Invoked, although there may be another series as well. Nick Pollotta has a series called Bureau 13 that is similar to License Invoked.

Diane Duane has a Wizardry series, starting with So You Want to be a Wizard.
Old 04-13-04, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by littlefuzzy
I think the Robert Asprin/Jody Lynn Nye series starts with License Invoked, although there may be another series as well.
License Invoked is a standalone novel. The Myth series is the one that they're currently collaborating on.
Old 04-13-04, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks guys that will give me a place to start. Some of them I think I have read such as The Myth series but I haven't read any of the new ones. The same goes for the Terry Brooks series. I will have to see if I can tracj down Esther Friesner's stuff, which I have read what I can find so far.
Old 04-13-04, 10:22 PM

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Originally posted by Kevin M. Dean
License Invoked is a standalone novel. The Myth series is the one that they're currently collaborating on.
Hmm, I haven't read Myth Alliances yet... Is this the newest book in Asprin's Myth series, or is it something different?
Old 04-14-04, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmm, I haven't read Myth Alliances yet... Is this the newest book in Asprin's Myth series, or is it something different?
Myth Alliances is the latest novel.

Basically if you hadn't read any myth books in a long time, RA picked up again with Myth-ion Improbable which takes place earlier in the series. Then he released Something M.Y.T.H. Inc. which resolves the cliffhanger he left with Sweet Myth-tery of Life. RA then started collaborating with JLN with a short story collection called Myth-told Tales and followed that with the aforementioned Myth Alliances.

The next book "Myth-taken Identity" is due out at the end of this year.

If you haven't yet, check out RA's Phule series (later cowritten with Peter J. Heck), which also had a recently released book "No Phule Like and Old Phule", and RA's and Linda Evans' Time Scout series. These aren't fantasy based, but they're still lots of fun.
Old 04-14-04, 05:48 PM

I just re-read all of the Phule books and Myth through Something M.Y.T.H. Inc., and I have Myth Alliances on order from the library.

I have Time Scout, Wagers of Sin, and Ripping Time in the Time Scout series, but I haven't read them recently.
Old 04-14-04, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have Time Scout, Wagers of Sin, and Ripping Time in the Time Scout series, but I haven't read them recently.
Definitely get "The House That Jack Built" since it's the second half of "Ripping Time", otherwise you won't have the whole story.