Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

I never knew reading was fun!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-04, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never knew reading was fun!

Lately, I have been reading a lot. It's really fun. Never thought it would be. Sometimes the endings piss me off in some books, but it's something i deal with. I suggest you pick up a book and read. I think I want to be one of those poster guys in the library saying reading is fun.
Old 04-06-04, 10:17 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Glad to hear it...reading is fun and highly underrated!

In this day and age of television and pop culture in general, the thought of one having to use his/her imagination to follow a story is almost a non-existent thought.
Old 04-06-04, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,465 Likes on 932 Posts
You need to change your sig line to "I never knew reading was so fun!"
Old 04-06-04, 01:58 PM

lol yea thats not a bad idea *considers, but decides not to coz the one i have rocks!*
Old 04-07-04, 08:23 AM

Originally posted by Geofferson
Glad to hear it...reading is fun and highly underrated!

In this day and age of television and pop culture in general, the thought of one having to use his/her imagination to follow a story is almost a non-existent thought.
see in college, i would never read a book, let alone the thought would bore me...so i just drank beer and vegetated in front of the TV...now that i have a job, i commute to work via train (20-30 min) so rather than just sitting there, i read now...and i didn't realize i was as fast as a reader....i thought it would take me like a month to read a 500 page book....it actually takes me less than a week, it probably is the norm, but i like to make myself think that im special
Old 04-07-04, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jadasion
see in college, i would never read a book, let alone the thought would bore me...so i just drank beer and vegetated in front of the TV...now that i have a job, i commute to work via train (20-30 min) so rather than just sitting there, i read now...and i didn't realize i was as fast as a reader....i thought it would take me like a month to read a 500 page book....it actually takes me less than a week, it probably is the norm, but i like to make myself think that im special
Exactly! I did the same thing in college. Even though I graduated with my degree and a decent GPA I never read. I was partying, drinking, and playing video games.

But, now I'm in graduate school where you are required to read alot of books to stay in the program. Hence, I've sold my gaming systems (PS/2 and GC), and am picking up books to read for pleasure. Reading is great because it trains your mind in a certain way to think and use your imagination, which is essential in professional school because you need to learn to think.

What books do you read?
Old 04-07-04, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
And knowing is half the battle!
Old 04-07-04, 01:47 PM

I love to read but I am a slow reader. I am constantly looking forward to see how much of a chapter is left. I can only read 10-20 pages in a sitting. 20 is about all I can take. I have never read a book in a day or stayed up all night so I could see what happens next. But I love holding a hardback in my hand and reading if just for a little bit. I think TV and movies have hurt my attention span. I can't even sit through 2 hours of a movie without looking at my watch any more.
Old 04-07-04, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I always tell people who sometimes feel discouraged by reading that they may not have found the stuff they really like to read yet. Some authors are one's you can read fast and not put down, whereas some are slow reads that you need to stop and take time to digest.

I think that English class in school does a disservice to reading since many times books that are stylistically difficult are pushed on students. This tends to cause people to think "if this is what reading is like, I don't want it."

Letting people find what excites them and building on that will always be more successful in my eyes.
Old 04-07-04, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good points, Kevin Dean. I think in choosing a book it's good to have some inherit interest in that type of story. For example, as ceece stated earlier, movies, TV, and games will hurt your attentin span. When I decided to find a book to read, I decided to incorporate something that interests me like a movie would. For example, I just got done (a month ago), watching the HBO miniseries "Band of Brothers". Now, I was sort of on this war kick, and wanted to learn/read more about stories pertaining to war. So, I noticed in my house we had "Johnny Got His Gun" by Dalton Trumbo, and I've been reading it for a few days and am at chapter 11, and it's a great book! Now, this book isn't like Band of Brothers, but in a way it sort of is, in that it's about war, violence, and why people fight.
Old 04-07-04, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to never read and was a big TV junky. Seems all the shows I like are getting cancelled, so now I have all this free time and I started reading again. I even look forward to it.
Old 04-08-04, 11:56 AM

I used to read so much in high school and the first couple years of college. Lots of Stephen King and Michael Crichton. Then I just got out of the habit for several years and I'm still finding it hard to start reading again.

Recently I bought "Bringing Down the House" because the premise was so intriguing and I got through it in no time. So in that same vein I just got "Positively Fifth Street" and will hopefully start it soon. I never really read non-fiction before, but it can be a lot of fun.
Old 04-08-04, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by ceeece
I love to read but I am a slow reader.
I'm a slow reader too, but I think that helps me enjoy a book longer. Some books I just never want to end, so being a slow reader comes in handy then. Yeah reading rocks hard. I love tv, movies, and video games plenty, but I'll take a good/great book over them anyday.

It's a shame more people don't do it.
Old 04-08-04, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by NaturalMystic79

What books do you read?

Mostly Mystery/Adventure/Thrillers

So far the books I have read:

The Alchemist (this book got me to start reading)
The Testament
Angels & Demons
Da Vinci Code (currently reading it)

I couldn't put The Alchemist or Angels & Demons down. I got Angels & Demons on Sunday and I am done. Just picked up Da Vinci Code. I hope it's as good as everyone says!
Old 04-10-04, 09:42 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
I discovered reading when I was 7. I'm 35 and haven't stopped yet.

It always seems so foreign to me when people say, "I don't read". They wear it like a badge of honor.

Sign of the times?

Last edited by Eric F; 04-10-04 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-11-04, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Reading is fundamental. Couldn't resist.

I've loved reading ever since I was a kid - my mom read to me in the womb, and I could follow along when she read to me by the time I was 18 months old. I was reading on my own not too long after that, and haven't stopped since. Well, I had a hiatus while in grad school because my eyes were shot by the end of the day from reading so much for class, but as soon as I graduated I returned in full force. I read for about 1-3 hours per day, but I still love tv and movies.

I've never believed the tv was an idiot box any more than books are boring - in both instances it's people who imo have not yet been exposed to "the good stuff." Find a subject you're interested in, whether it be in print or on celluloid, and you'll pay attention. It's as easy as that. Well, finding quality programming or a good author is just as key.

And staying up way too late to find out what happens next - that's my downfall. But I wouldn't give up that eager anticipation for anything in the world - it's like Christmas Eve and all you have to do is keep reading for the presents to be opened.
Old 04-13-04, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by jadasion
Mostly Mystery/Adventure/Thrillers

So far the books I have read:

The Alchemist (this book got me to start reading)
The Testament
Angels & Demons
Da Vinci Code (currently reading it)

I couldn't put The Alchemist or Angels & Demons down. I got Angels & Demons on Sunday and I am done. Just picked up Da Vinci Code. I hope it's as good as everyone says!
Very good points in this thread, something that got me started reading before was Palahniuk, after reading the book Fight Club for a report I did, I kept reading all of his stuff., and it just kept going.

Now I'm actually on a Dan Brown wave, just finished Angels & Demons, and loved every page of it. Someone needs to turn that into a movie(doubtful). But now I'm reading Da Vinci Code and it seems great.

Good luck all and spread the word.
Old 04-13-04, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by Eric F
I discovered reading when I was 7. I'm 35 and haven't stopped yet.

It always seems so foreign to me when people say, "I don't read". They wear it like a badge of honor.

Sign of the times?
Same deal here. I loved to read as a kid, and still do. I just can't picture myself without a book in progress.

I do also agree with K.M. Dean regarding forced reading in high school. Something like Silas Marner or Return of the Native can make for a dull read and may turn someone off from reading.