Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Wanted: where to find some old Conan books

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-04, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
Wanted: where to find some old Conan books

I have an original collection of Conan stories by Robet E. Howard stashed somewhere, but it is only one book.
I am interested as to where I can find some of his works with the character or by L. Sprague DeCamp. I am only interested in the earlier works, not the stuff written in the past two decades. Thanks!

P.S. In terms of where, I would really appreciate some websites, as used bookstores aren't producing much for me.
Old 02-02-04, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe there's a complete original Conan (i.e. Howard only, no de Camp) in the Gollancz Masterworks series in Britain.

In the U.S., a collection (maybe not complete?) of original Conan stories was just released, titled The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian. Search for it by that title on Amazon and it'll come up. Seems to be a BIG paperback, oversized and 500 pages.
Old 02-03-04, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

virtually all of those books are out of print, so you are going to have to search for them. They can be found at used books stores, I've seen them at a couple of 1/2 price book stores, and at 1 local bookstore I saw all of them for sale. I picked up bran mak morn for 3 bucks there. On the internet Ebay is probably your best bet.
Old 02-03-04, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I came across this book on Amazon:

The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian

It's the first of three planned volumes which will contain all of the original stories Robert E. Howard wrote.
Old 02-03-04, 02:02 PM
Mod Emeritus

As others have said, the tales are available as two volumes in the UK and will become available in three volumes in the US.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

I don't know what postage from UK to US would set you back if you find you just can't wait for the "local" publisher!

Last edited by benedict; 02-03-04 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-03-04, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know you're not looking for comics, but Dark Horse has a new Conan series starting this month that is supposedly based on the original Conan. Great looking art too.

One thing I would suggest in looking for books is to try abe.com. They have just about everything. And in about every condition. If you think the prices are high, use what you find (titles, authors, publishers, etc) to find stuff on ebay.

Last edited by James W. Powell; 02-03-04 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-03-04, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by RichardW
The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian
Was looking at this at Borders just a few minutes ago. It certainly seems to be what the Dr. ordered. I may even have to get it myself - I've got about half of the Ace paperbacks, and they're getting harder and harder to find around here (and we have oodles of Half Price Books, as well as other second hand shops here).
Old 02-03-04, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Whoah...

Erm, uhhh...

Well, do you want a hardback copy? One is available...

Click the pic

Only $195.00 - cheap!

This is the original version of the Coming of Conan book, from Wandering Star. I'd like a hardback, but dayyyamn! And there are two more even fancier versions (more extras, one's leather) for even more money. Knock yerself out.

Last edited by Mutley Hyde; 02-03-04 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-04-04, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I saw that, Mutley. What the website doesn't say is if or when the second and third volumes are coming out.
Old 02-04-04, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know! Frustrating, ain't it?

Guys, I also saw that the SFBC book club has this as one of their offerings. The publisher's paperback is 14.99, where SFBC's hardback is 12.99. Granted, the paper and printing in book club editions is traditionally inferior to the publisher's counterpart, but hey, at least the covers won't get all dog-eared.

A proposal;

I'm thinking about signing up for SFBC and ordering 5 copies, and then I'll eBay the extras. If any of you want to go in with me on this, I'll let you have first dibs, say, at $12 a pop, shipped. I've seen them sell for $27 (yes, the book club edition) on eBay, and was thinking of putting them up on a dutch auction starting at $12 - my hunch is that they may go a little higher than that, having sold two already in the past month at $27 each.

Anyway, I haven't really made up my mind on this yet. If I do it, I have to order 3 more books from them over two years at regular price, and I rarely ever, ever buy book club editions, so I'm really undecided about this still. In this case though, as this is the only reasonably priced Conan hardback, I'm very tempted.

Any takers? Comments?
Old 02-05-04, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by James W. Powell
I know you're not looking for comics, but Dark Horse has a new Conan series starting this month that is supposedly based on the original Conan. Great looking art too.

I read the preview and enjoyed it, so I broke down and bought a Limited Ed (100 only) #1 signed by Kurt Busik. Also if anybody is curious about the series, the preview issue is only 25 cents and can still be found pretty easily.
Old 02-06-04, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
I picked up "In the Year 2000" and "If they Mated" for $1 each at Half Price Books.
Old 02-06-04, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
I got the first volume by Howard from Amazon, thanks for the help.
Old 02-08-04, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,461 Likes on 930 Posts
I got my Robert E Howard books through used bookstores. Your best bet now would probably be ebay. Donald M Grant publishers printed the complete Conan in several hardcover illustrated volumes, but they were expensive when new. They would probably cost a fortune now.

An awful lot of writers wrote Conan stories, some excellent, some pretty bad. Try to begin with the original Howard stories.