Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

I would like to read some Zombie/Living Dead Horror Books.

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

I would like to read some Zombie/Living Dead Horror Books.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-05, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ethan Cooke
I agree with your opinions on the endings of Brian Keene's books. It just didn't feel... right. You're supposed to feel a certain sense of "completion" when you finish a book (unless its intentional on the author's part that you don't, i.e. Stephen King's "The Long Walk") but I just wasn't satisfied when I put the book down.

Don't get me wrong; I like stories that stay with you after you've read them, but I don't like stories where I turn up my lip and go "blah."

Has anyone read Max Brooks' book? I'm re-reading it now.
You've mistaken me, I had no problem with the ending of City. I was just assuming things would be set right again and was surprised when what I assumed would happen didn't. I liked it as it made sense.
Old 07-02-05, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Just finished City of the Dead. Wow...just wow.

Like i said in the Land of the Dead thread, I wonder who ripped off who in terms of story here. Intelligent dead, Zombie leader, Crazed Billionaire, Building full of survivors, and etc.
Old 07-04-05, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
personally I'm not very interested in serious-minded zombie books, but the other day I noticed a zombie survival book in the comedy section at Barnes & Noble (forget the title though).

good premise but what little I read didn't immediately impress me enough to warrant a purchase.
Old 07-05-05, 10:51 AM

You're talking about Max Brooks' "Complete Protection from the Living Dead" It's hard to review this book... you'll have to make up your own mind about it... I like it though.
Old 07-07-05, 10:55 AM

Anyone read Twilight of the Dead yet?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...85666?v=glance

Also anyone else reading The Walking Dead comics? What's with the delay?

Old 07-07-05, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I've been waiting for "Dead World" #1 for some time now. It was on my comic store's "order list" a few months back. Anyone heard anything about this? What's the delay? Is it something new or a reprint of the original Dead World from the 90's?
Old 07-07-05, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I've been waiting for "Dead World" #1 for some time now. It was on my comic store's "order list" a few months back. Anyone heard anything about this? What's the delay? Is it something new or a reprint of the original Dead World from the 90's?
Your store sucks man, there is no delay on this, Deadworld #1 came out about 6-7 weeks ago. #2 should be out next week. The comic is new material & picks up where the last series ended off.

I run a comic book store, if you are ever in need of anything, hit me up with an email, I don't charge for shipping.
Old 07-08-05, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Your store sucks man, there is no delay on this, Deadworld #1 came out about 6-7 weeks ago. #2 should be out next week. The comic is new material & picks up where the last series ended off.

I run a comic book store, if you are ever in need of anything, hit me up with an email, I don't charge for shipping.

What!? Are you serious? Figures, I went to pick up this week's order Thursday and the guy "underordered" and stopped ordering Firestorm because "no one was buying it" He-looooo!!! I'm buying it!! Shit, the only reason I patronize them is because they're close to were I work and it gives me something to do when I get into the area early. There are places by my house but they don't have a "weekly checklist" for me to order from.
Old 07-23-05, 02:34 PM

Anyone read Twilight of the Dead yet?

Also anyone else reading The Walking Dead comics? What's with the delay?

i just got issues 18 and 20 and its pretty cool but compared to the first trade its kinda tame and the characters dont seem the same.
Old 07-24-05, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
You're talking about Max Brooks' "Complete Protection from the Living Dead" It's hard to review this book... you'll have to make up your own mind about it... I like it though.

I bought it on a whim and so far I think it's hilarious. I don't like that he demistifies it by adding (what I believe) is his own story to it, but that's a minor quibble.
Old 10-04-05, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great thread! With halloween upon us, I was searching "zombie" topics here at the forum and found this thread. I've already started reading "The Rising" and it's entertaining as hell. Very creepy. I love it. Thanks to everyone who recommended it. I'll be sure to read the sequel as well.

Originally Posted by exocel
www.theinfected.co.uk this leads to a series of zombie books called autum by david moody nad the first is available to download and previews (the first 1/5th) of autumurification/the city/the human condition are available to as well as downloads called autum:echos which are short stories about people who survived and even a four part tale about ''amy steadman'' a zombie of no importance just tells the tale of an infected host....
Wow, free zombie book download. Thanks for the link exocel!
Old 10-04-05, 07:59 PM

this thread just won't die
Old 10-19-05, 08:39 AM

While not a book, those who enjoy zombies may want to check out this week's The Onion (the online humor site) for its main story: "Study Reveals Pittsburgh Unprepared for Full-Scale Zombie Attack". Zombie fans should recognize most of the references made.
Old 10-19-05, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Ms. M
While not a book, those who enjoy zombies may want to check out this week's The Onion (the online humor site) for its main story: "Study Reveals Pittsburgh Unprepared for Full-Scale Zombie Attack". Zombie fans should recognize most of the references made.
That sounds cool.
Old 10-19-05, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by custom001
Definitely "I Am Legend" by Richard Matheson.
A classic.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...21742?v=glance

Damn, you took mine!

I would also reccomend Rick Hautala's Moonwalker, but I think it's out of print. Rick is/was a horror novelist from Maine, very much in the vein of Steven King. This book is about zombies in Northern Maine, with a pretty novel twist as to how they came about. Haven't read it in over 10 years, but now that I've mentioned it, I might have to dig it out for a read again.

Just did a quick check about,and it does appear to be oop, but there are some cheap copies avaialble on e-bay.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 10-19-05 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-19-05, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Finished the Rising and City of the Dead (just an hour ago.) I enjoyed The Rising, finding it to be decent. Well decent enough to go out and try to find the City of the Dead the next day. Had to order it from B&N. I got it late thursday night and that's the fastest i've ever read through a book. It also was a decent read. The idea of of intelligent zombies annoyed me at first, i guess it was never mentioned or i never regestered it. So it was unexpected at first... i preffer my zombies slow and dumb, i guess. anyway i quickly got over it enjoyed the books.

Anybody know if Keene wanted to write City of the Dead? I mean it was his own motiviation more so than fans demands? I liked the book as i said, but some of the characters were very annoying at times. Frankie got on my nerves often and Jim and Danny's relationship felt very forced. And Danny pissed me off too, I haven't been around 6 year olds in a long time, but was he slow or what? The dreams the characters were having at the end also seemed out of place; and Martin's full explaination about what was going on was fully explained a bit before by Ob.

So, was Keene not trying hard, just trying to shut up the fans and be able to move on and close this door (the ending of City) or was it just some poor writing or am i just being a stick in the mud?

I'm not trying to bash the book or be too hard or Keene, i kept turning the pages all the way until there weren't anymore, but some of the things i mentioned seemed glaring and curious if anyone thought the same or what their take on some of it is.

Also, i want to mention again J.L. Bourne's "Day by Day Armaggedon" Aka www.raptorman.us . I ordered the book with The Rising from amazon. (i had already read the journal when it was all online free but wanted a hard copy as well as lend some support to get the story finished) I really can't recommend that book enough. It's all presented as a journal so it's not as detailed as most books. but it is very captivating. The zombies strenghts are in numbers. They aren't fast nor intelligent. The jounral begins shortly before the zombies arrive (i saw in another thread someone interested in books or movies that deal with the beginging instead of jumping right into it.) The book unfortunately ends short of what i read online first. Maybe by a month or a few journals. But the government launchs nukes into many of the larger cities after they are lost to the zombie horde. (a cool detal...atleast a few pilots decide against this as the character over hears the pilots radio transmission, so, some cities are still intact.) But the radiation mutates the zombies to be faster. I found that to be a really cool way of starting with the normal zombies that we expect and then making them deadlier for the home stretch with a reasonable reason of why. But the book ends prior to all that ...they might still be online though.
Old 01-26-06, 08:43 PM

i just bought the complete autum series off the infected site and got a free magnet (wooo magnet, yeah!), some postcards and all four books signed by the auther. and they are well worht £30 for all four and a fith book is currently in devlopment!
Old 02-07-06, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Venom, I just finished Rising and plan on tackling City next. I'll post my thoughts on both here when I've finished.

As for Rising, I picked it up based on the many recommendations in this thread. Fun read. Only took me a couple of days to finish. While I was initially skeptical of the possessed-by-demons angle (am so used to the meteor/virus causes), I kind of liked the novel twist. A little sappy at times and the dialogue was often stilted and sometimes annoyingly over-dramatic (A LOT of excalamtion points here), but I like Keene's writing style. His characters are suitably fleshed out and the action is well-written and suspenseful. Didn't mind the ending at all.

Not sure if there are any Firefly fans here, but I thought the reverend sounded exactly like Book. Was a perfect visual for me as even their roles were sort of similar.

Oh, and one annoyance: The MANY typos.

Otherwise, pretty solid.
Old 07-06-06, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Reading Steven Kings CELL, really enjoying it alot cant wait for the movie.

Ordered The Rising, City of the Dead, Day by Day Armaggedon from amazon.com
Old 07-13-06, 12:22 PM

For those of you that enjoyed Brian Keene's The Rising and City Of The Dead, you have something to look forward to in 2007. Brian has a third zombie novel coming which is tenatively titled Dead Sea. This will be a seperate novel from The Rising/City and will feature classic Romero style zombies with a bit of a twist.
Old 07-14-06, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's awesome news! Keene seems meant to handle the un-dead. I just started his Terminal, but I haven't been able to get into it yet.
Old 07-16-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Good news
Old 07-19-06, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

cool, despite a few flaws (see my earlier post) i still dug his zombie work. i'm definitely excited more so to see "romero" type zombies.

anyone have thoughts on "Wet Work?" i forget the author. i want to read it, but would have to get it online, worth the money?

also seems to be some zombie book series called autumn? ??? any thoughts?
Old 07-19-06, 08:31 AM

Wet Work was written by Phillip Nutman an is imho a classic of zombie fiction. For any East Coast zombie fans looking to have some fun this summer you should consider coming to Horrorfind Weekend.
http://www.horrorfindweekend.com/state/maryland/celebrities.html
Romero will be there along with people from all the Dead movies. So will some writer named Keene. Seriously though this is one of the best cons I've ever had the pleasure of attending.
Old 07-19-06, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
Philip will be hanging out at DragonCon (he lives in Atlanta) again this year. I usually find him in the Hyatt bar and chat with him for a bit. A very pleasant fellow indeed. That Horrorfind weekend looks great! I have to pass.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.