Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

I would like to read some Zombie/Living Dead Horror Books.

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

I would like to read some Zombie/Living Dead Horror Books.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-05, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you liked The Rising you will love City Of The Dead. It's full of non-stop action and violence with plenty of good scares. Also you can catch Keene out on his book tour for City Of The Dead and his new novel Terminal.
http://www.briankeene.com/appearances.html

Last edited by travlr; 05-23-05 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-25-05, 02:25 AM

www.theinfected.co.uk this leads to a series of zombie books called autum by david moody nad the first is available to download and previews (the first 1/5th) of autumurification/the city/the human condition are available to as well as downloads called autum:echos which are short stories about people who survived and even a four part tale about ''amy steadman'' a zombie of no importance just tells the tale of an infected host.

the premise of the tales is that one day,for no apparent reason a disease hits causing people to be destroyed from the inside out yet the inner most portion of the brain survives then a few days later the bodys get up ,then they regain a little sight and evolve from there as the story continues.plus its set in england which makes a nice change of pace.

its easily one of the best zombie books i have read the second is resident evil:city of the dead by s.d perry a novelisation of resi 2 (duh!).

also if you like horror go to direct manga downloads .com and you can download free volumes of the manga hellsing which is my favourite manga right now (as well as bleach and naruto)
as for the walking dead the only major comics store near my area is forbidden planet but since the demand for comics here in england are low its slowly turning into a computer games store exclusively so they dont sell it and i dont have a credit card to buy it off the internet so does anyone know were you can read or download issue 1# for free.i sound like a greaser i know (slang in my area for bum) but i cant get it anywhere and ive heard great things about it and from the covers i've seen the artworks looks good.

on a lighter note how come when the zombocalypse (hey i just made that up!?!) strikes they never find a cow and instead ''venture out to look for food'' think aboout it...
Old 06-01-05, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Giantrobo - Thanks for the recommendation and the heads-up about The Rising's being republished. I'll likely just get it from the library today or tomorrow, but thanks anway.

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
Don't know if someone already said it but The Walking Dead comic book is pretty good. It has a Dawn of the Dead feel to it. The classic version not the remake.
I just finished the first book last night (got it from the library). Good stuff. How many books are there? From the introduction, I took it as the story was going to continue indefinitely.
Old 06-06-05, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Woo hoo! Just picked up a copy of The Rising from the library. Can't wait to start reading this baby tonight. It's been a long time since I've read a horror book - probably The Shining in the mid-90s.
Old 06-10-05, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just finished The Rising earlier this afternoon. I swear, I haven't read a novel that quickly in a long time. Completely engrossing. And I wasn't really pissed at the ending. I like how it was ambiguous and abrupt. My take was that,
Spoiler:
based on the *gunshot*scream*gunshot* I thought that Danny turned out to be a zombie, so Jim shot him and then turned the gun on himself; then I figured that Frankie and Martin were doomed because of the approaching zombies.

Then I read an Amazon review of City of the Dead and discovered my interpretation was incorrect. Oh, well. I'm still pysched to read the new book (should arrive at the library any day). Also based on an Amazon review, it seems that the whole
Spoiler:
demons vs. God thing is fleshed out more
which pleases me since I thought The Rising lacked that.
Old 06-10-05, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by DJLinus
Giantrobo - Thanks for the recommendation and the heads-up about The Rising's being republished. I'll likely just get it from the library today or tomorrow, but thanks anway.

I just finished the first book last night (got it from the library). Good stuff. How many books are there? From the introduction, I took it as the story was going to continue indefinitely.
The walking dead will go on as long as possible judging from the letter pages. He actually has one of the best letter pages in a comic. I didn't think they would have comics a the library. I haven't been to library in over 10 years, oh wait I guess I lived in the library in college but that doesn't count.

Is it still possible to reserve books online?
Old 06-10-05, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
Is it still possible to reserve books online?
I do it all of the time. You can reserve a book/CD/DVD from any of the Columbus metro area libraries and then have it delivered to whatever library branch you choose. It's great. I'm sure Seattle, being a bigger city, would have something very similar to this.

As for comics, our library system doesn't have individual, monthly titles, but they do have a bunch of graphic novels. I've gotten plenty from there: Hellboy, The Punisher, Daredevil, Batman, Sin City, etc.

I guess maybe it's just more mainstream titles, but they did have The Walking Dead. Just the first volume, I think.

Last edited by DJLinus; 06-10-05 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-12-05, 07:33 PM

holy crap i got a tenner off my mom for doing some shit around the house and i whent to the local city centre looking for a copy of max payne 2 ,since i finally had enough to get it .... well first off i bought a ''mr.t in your pocket'' which is a keyring which yells stuff like ''I PITY THA FOOL!'' ect. and then whent to a shop called games station and this thread got me thinking about buying a comic for the first time since i collected a few issues of dragonball a few years ago. and in the corner of the room barely visible behind a box of ''bobby feet'' trading cards was issue 19 of the walking dead and the first volume of it :days gone by.. i think and the actual issue only costed 85p which is about $1.70 ,but dont qoute me on the american as i'm only guessing. and the first volume was only £3.85 there was only one copy of the volume as they said there was no demand for it and they only got three issues of 19 to see if they sold fast or if they'd stay there for weeks.
all in all its not bad , allthough on the net the writer said that he wants to keep the series going into at least triple figures and honestly i dont think they can keep rick alive that long or they can but people will get bored i think around issue 75 they should end up with the cast getting killed by the zombies and then people will be like ''what thats the ending!?!''
and then to continue the story they should release the next issue with the last page of the previouse issue at the start and it should just say something like ''meanwhile...'' and then switch to another group of survivors who are on the run from them and see how others are coping as well.
though i would like to see a colectors issue like ''what happened to rick'' or something like that and it could show you what happened after he became a zombie, you know show the reader what its like from a newly risen bodys point of view, maybe hel'l end up like 'bub' from dotd (day,not dawn).

later
Old 06-13-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Met with Brian Keene and a few other guys at the Morris, IL book signing for "City Of The Dead" on Saturday. Had a great time. Very nice guy. And his books are great. "The Rising" has now been reprinted and should be available pretty much everywhere.
Old 06-20-05, 06:58 PM

http://www.ifilm.com/ads/asl/fullscr...02880/credits&
go to this address to watch P.M.A.C when zombies attack for free online its a great 25 minute indie film crossing dawn of the dead with cops.
Old 06-21-05, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That was pretty cool. Thanks for posting it.
Old 06-22-05, 02:09 PM

Has anyone read this?

Has anyone read this?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=UTF8&v=glance

Twilight of the Dead? Is this a legit book or just a ripoff? Can someone let me know before I buy it?
Old 06-23-05, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've never heard of it, but I'm only recently getting into zombie fiction (I've only read Brian Keene's two books).

I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover...but that cover looks kinda cheesy to me.
Old 06-23-05, 12:26 PM

Hmmm. I was hoping I could find someone who's read it. Oh well. I went ahead and bought it along with Max Brooks' book. (I used to have it but my dog ate it. Seriously.) I figured if I blew 25 bucks on Len Barnhart's books, I might as well take a chance.

Tomorrow. Land of the Dead. I can't wait.
Old 06-24-05, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Y'know as much as I enjoyed "The Rising" and "City of the Dead"(what a quick read) I wouldn't say either of them were scary.
Old 06-24-05, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Y'know as much as I enjoyed "The Rising" and "City of the Dead"(what a quick read) I wouldn't say either of them were scary.
I just finished both of those books and thought the same thing. Thrilling, yes. Scary, no.

I'm reminded of the "Kids in the Hall" sketch with the author who wrote scary books. One was simply called Boo! and only contained that word. Another just had the line "There's a spider on your shoulder".

Now, I'm not really much of a horror book reader, but the only book that I've read that gave me chills was The Shining.
Old 06-25-05, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Really? Well the 1st book had me totally on edge. But you have to understand that my love of the Living Dead Genre comes from my absolute fear of the concept. So far the "City" is less scary but reading it still has me kinda weirded out.

The funny thing is it seems that "Smart Zombies" are a tad less scary to me than their more primal "Dumb Zombie" cousins. This is probably why "Land of the Dead" has me kinda half ass about seeing it. Speaking of "Land" is it me or does "City of the Dead" seem to be very similar to the what's in "Land of the Dead"? Granted I haven't see "Land" yet but the whole
Spoiler:
crazy guy lording over survivers like god
Old 06-25-05, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Really? Well the 1st book had me totally on edge. But you have to understand that my love of the Living Dead Genre comes from my absolute fear of the concept. So far the "City" is less scary but reading it still has me kinda weirded out.
Dude, you and me both. But I think you hit the nail on the head, "smart zombies" aren't really scary. What is scary to me is the persistent, relentless, and infinite numbers of dumb zombies that aren't fast or quiping with you...they just want your braaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiins. That's why the Night of the Living Dead and the whole premise behinds it freaks me the fuck out. Also all the stuff with (The Rising Spoiler)
Spoiler:
Ob and the siqquism (I know I spelled that wrong) made it a little less horror and a little more end of the world/biblical for me and maybe that's why I feel the way I do.
And speaking of the book.

(City of the Dead ending spoilers)
Spoiler:
I cannot believe Keene killed the entire fucking world. I kept reading thinking, ok how are they going to get rid of all these zombies and make things right in 30 pages?...20 pages?....15?....5?...oh, damn.

Is everyone who read the two books satisfied with how things ended?

Last edited by boredsilly; 06-25-05 at 07:05 PM.
Old 06-25-05, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Dude, you and me both. But I think you hit the nail on the head, "smart zombies" aren't really scary. What is scary to me is the persistent, relentless, and infinite numbers of dumb zombies that aren't fast or quiping with you...they just want your braaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiins. That's why the Night of the Living Dead and the whole premise behinds it freaks me the fuck out. Also all the stuff with
Spoiler:
Ob and the siqquism (I know I spelled that wrong) made it a little less horror and a little more end of the world/biblical for me and maybe that's why I feel the way I do.
And speaking of the book.

Spoiler:
I cannot believe Keene killed the entire fucking world. I kept reading thinking, ok how are they going to get rid of all these zombies and make things right in 30 pages?...20 pages?....15?....5?...oh, damn.

Is everyone who read the two books satisfied with how things ended?

I just started reading City of the Dead. damn spoiler. Naw, I'm cool. The spoiler didn't bother me.
Spoiler:
I kinda had a feeling Keene would go that way because he was killing off characters left and right in the 1st book. But I'll see how he does it when I get there.

I also dug Ob
Spoiler:
and the different kinds of beings. one for humans, another to take over plants and insects, and another to burn the earth.
Old 06-25-05, 05:48 PM

Hey, I know I'm new here and all, a longtime lurker, but I just received Twilight of the Dead and blew through it... I honestly think it was the best zombie book I've read. The way the book was put together was the most creative and imaginative I've ever seen. The author uses the Romero-esque "Legion" style of zombies. (Just thought I'd share that.)

I agree with your opinions on the endings of Brian Keene's books. It just didn't feel... right. You're supposed to feel a certain sense of "completion" when you finish a book (unless its intentional on the author's part that you don't, i.e. Stephen King's "The Long Walk") but I just wasn't satisfied when I put the book down.

Don't get me wrong; I like stories that stay with you after you've read them, but I don't like stories where I turn up my lip and go "blah."

Has anyone read Max Brooks' book? I'm re-reading it now.
Old 06-25-05, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I just started reading City of the Dead. damn spoiler. Naw, I'm cool. The spoiler didn't bother me.
Aw shit dude, my fault just the same. I threw spoilers on there not even thinking of the people that read one book and hadn't finished the other.
Old 06-26-05, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Aw shit dude, my fault just the same. I threw spoilers on there not even thinking of the people that read one book and hadn't finished the other.

I'm cool. It didn't cause any problems.
Old 06-28-05, 06:50 AM

I had no problem with the ending of City. I actually thought it was refreshing to see and end of the world novel without a happy or optimistic ending. I mean everyone bitched that the end of The Rising was left up to the reader now people don't like that City has a very definite ending. I do know that we will see atleast one of the characters from The Rising/City in one of Keene's upcoming books.

On a lighter note here's why Keene is a writer not an artist.
Zombie Stick Figure Theater
Old 06-28-05, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah i've skimmed Brian Keene's Forum on his website and he seems to have a great sense of humor.
Old 06-28-05, 02:05 PM

Cool I post there with the user name Tomokat0.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.