Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Book club question / discussion thread [ inc. QPB, SFBC etc.]

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Book club question / discussion thread [ inc. QPB, SFBC etc.]

Old 11-07-02, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just wait until they tell you that "oh that book is out of stock" ..it seems most of the more expensive books that you get a good deal on they never have..I would just find myslef a good online diso**** bookseller ..I was in that club until I met my obligation then I quit
Old 11-07-02, 02:10 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[Methinks the software censor caught out a mistyped *discount*!]

Old 07-12-03, 07:22 PM

Good Book club that is similiar to Columbia House

Anyone know of a good book club that is similiar to Columbia house where you get some good books for a cheap price and then buy so many over the next few years. I tried googling it, and only came up with individual reading book clubs. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-12-03, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I really like the Quality Paperback Book Club (www.qpb.com). I tend to find the other clubs such as "Book Of The Month" and so forth have a lot of crap, John Grisham novels and romances. QPB has a nice selection of everything IMHO, very diverse.

There's also a lot of speciality clubs out there -- just got some junk mail the other day from the "Military Book Club" and I know there's a sci-fi/fantasy one, history book club, etc. And if your tastes are more mainstream the book of the month club is probably OK then.
Old 07-12-03, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,876 Posts
There is the Doubleday Book Club, of which the Science Fiction Book Club is a sub-club.

They are pretty much what you describe, get about six books free of for a dollar with an obligation to buy four at regular price over the next two years.

Be advised, however, that 1) Their shipping charges tend to be high, 2) Their selection is somewhat limited, and 3) They print their own books, so the books are not exactly like the ones you would get in a bookstore.

By (3), I mean that all of their books are a single standard size, and the jackets tend to be printed on a lighter weight of paper, and without any embossing or special inks like metallic colors.

On the plus side, they do print up exclusive hardcover editions of paperback originals and offer nice omnibus editions that aren't available elsewhere.
Old 07-12-03, 08:14 PM

I've used QPB as well. It's a good way to get books cheap. Not much of a commitment once you join IIRC.

From their site:

Begin by selecting your 5 books for $5 . You will be billed (including $14.25 shipping and handling) when your membership has been approved. BEN All we ask is that you agree to buy just 1 more book at regular club prices during your membership. Take up to 1 year! That's the extent of your commitment. If you decide to cancel your membership at that point, just notify us.
Old 07-12-03, 08:45 PM

Thanks so much !!! I appreciate it. Looks like QPB for me, as I think my wife is already a member of doubleday
Old 07-19-03, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Doubleday is much more mainstream than Book of the Month Club. BOMC has a good selection of harder to find titles and classics. I think BOMC considers themselves more of a "prestige" book club.

Anyway, I think they're all part of the same group now. There used to be 2 different competing mail order book club companies - one included BOMC, QPB, Stephen King Library, and the other included Doubleday, Literary Guild, Mystery Guild, Science Fiction Book Club, Military Book Club, etc. I believe they all merged recently and it's one big company now.
Old 08-10-03, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Quality Paperback Book Club....

Every once in awhile I get some mailing that if from these guys and it is a no commitment mailing. Anyone have the code, etc. for that, I can't find it.

I have joined before and that is why they send it, I think.
Old 08-29-03, 07:50 AM

Question about QPB

I have been trying to join QPB through their website for the last week or so and it never allows me to complete the registration. After entering my name and address is takes me to a screen that says my membership is being reviewed but doesnt ask for a credit card or anything.

Does anyone know how to actually join this club?
Old 08-29-03, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just joined it yesterday and I didn't have any trouble. I picked my 5 books, entered my name and address, and I had the choice of having them bill me or paying by credit card. I submitted it, and got an email a minute later confirming my enrollment, and a list of what I ordered.

I'm not sure why it's not working for you. Sorry, I guess I'm not much help.
Old 09-20-03, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Science Fiction Book Club Code

The regular deal is 5 books for $1 plus shipping (4 more to buy). Use the code 33131 and you will get 6 for $1, plus another book for $4.98, plus a SFBC T-shirt (plus s/h) with 4 more to buy.
Old 09-20-03, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmmmm. I entered the code, but it's only letting me choose 5 books, and then it takes me to the sign up page then the payment page. It won't let me get more than 5 books. Is this code active yet? Has anyone else gotten it to work? Did I do something wrong?

Last edited by greatjedi; 09-20-03 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-23-03, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Odd. Me too. Stupid book club
Old 12-13-03, 01:14 PM

Any good book clubs to join?

I am just wondering if there are any good ones out there that people have used. I do remember seing a flyer once for a club that sent a classic book each month. Does anyone know what company that is? The books looked very nice, hard bound, gold trim, etc.
Old 12-13-03, 03:49 PM

I've joined Quality Paperback Bookclub a couple of times. It's a really good deal.
Old 12-13-03, 06:39 PM

I second quality paperbackclub is the best.you can get tons of books.my first membership I fullfilled with Davinci Code(best book I ever read),then cancel,then enrolled again,fullfilled with Moneyball,cancelled,enrolled and fulfilled with seabiscut.also while your a member you can refer 2 friends and you will get 5 more free books.something like columbia house dvds,you get your books,fullfill,then cancel,then join again. Its great that you only have to buy 1 book to fullfill.I got like 10 dummy books basically real cheap for doing this.
Old 12-14-03, 12:52 AM

thanks, I actually just signed up for that club now. Does any one know about the club that would send you one book a month. The book was one of the 100 greatest books and was hardbound with gold lettering and gold edges. Just wondering if any one had signed up for that one.
Old 12-14-03, 07:06 AM
Mod Emeritus

Dont forget the Free DVD / Incentive Clubs forum

Some useful book club information: here.
Old 01-23-04, 11:35 AM

For the Science Fiction Book Club, are there a lot of books that you can choose for membership fulfillment that aren't available for enrollment as the first 5 (or 6 with code "33131")? I just want to get some Heinlein HCs and I'd like to know if they have more than the 7 books you can pick for your enrollments. Does someone keep a data miner site for the SFBC like that Columbia House data miner site for a list of all available titles?

Any info is appreciated.
Old 01-23-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do any of these bookclubs actually give you the same book that you can acquire at retail?

I'm not a fan of odd-sized reprints.
Old 01-24-04, 11:39 PM

how is Science Fiction Book Club.com??

I'm debating getting into the sfbc..
how are the books dift. from book stores??

good & bad stories pleaze

thankz
Old 01-25-04, 04:32 AM
Mod Emeritus

KVRDave's SFBC code from last year [earlier up this thread]

Originally posted by cloudnin
it works now haha
Originally posted by greatjedi
All Right!!! I'm glad the code works now. I guess it's time to finally catch up on my New Jedi Order books.
Originally posted by MrBob
It's a great club I've been a long time member, (though I haven't bought anything in a couple of years), best part is that they don't send out a book every month like columbia house does.
Originally posted by travlr
Cool deal picked up 4 Preacher TPB and a few other books
When merging I couldn't get these these posts in without messing up the continuity so I've just quoted instead.
Old 02-21-04, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

SFBC question...

So, has anyone ever had success with multiple accounts? I was planning on cancelling my sub and reupping right away, but two of my books are on backorder.

They've got free shipping (after initial sign-up order) until the 24th of Feb. so I was hoping to reup and take advantage of that again, but I can't meet my enrollment obligation with the books I've ordered not being processed yet.

Did that even make sense?
Old 03-03-04, 08:00 AM

QPB question

I've fulfilled my obligation (but haven't received the shipment yet) and I was wondering what do people recommend doing with the account. I assume that I would benefit more from quitting and joining again. Does anyone know if it's tough to do this (I wouldn't go crazy with it, but would probably join again in a month or two)? Are there any sales, etc that they have during the year that make it worth it to hold onto my membership?

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.