Reload this Page >

Hemingway and Steinbeck starters?

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 12-05-03, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am wanting to partake in some Ernest Hemingway and John Steinbeck lately. I've never read anything by either or them and was just curious what I should introduce myself to them with. I just took East of Eden out from the library, but I haven't started it yet. Is that not a good starting off point?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

Last edited by cokeguy; 12-05-03 at 01:04 AM.
Old 12-05-03, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,818 Likes on 1,937 Posts
Steinbeck - either "East of Eden," "Grapes of Wrath," or "Of Mice and Men." The latter two are probably his best known works.

Hemingway - I'd suggest "The Old Man and the Sea," then either "A Farewell to Arms," "For Whom the Bell Tolls," or "The Sun Also Rises."
Old 12-05-03, 01:35 PM

I'd recommend "Of Mice and Men" for Steinbeck. It's one of his earlier works, it's short, and it's excellent!
Old 12-05-03, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Definitely "Of Mice And Men" by Steinbeck, one of my all-time favorite books.
Old 12-05-03, 04:51 PM
Cool New Member

East of Eden, in my mind, is where you want to end with Steinbeck. After you've read the labor trilogy (In Dubious Battle, Of Mice and Men, The Grapes of Wrath) especially. Some starting points could be The Red Pony, Tortilla Flat, The Pearl, and Cannery Row. I think they introduce Steinbecks themes in a manageable manner and make the experience of reading East of Eden that much richer.

Though, really, you can't go wrong with Steinbeck.
Old 12-06-03, 09:49 AM
Banned

Start off with the greatest American novel of all time, "Grapes of Wrath", you wont regret it.
Old 12-09-03, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd read Cannery Row, then Of Mice And Men, then launch into some of his meatier stuff. It's all great stuff, though.
Old 12-09-03, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agreed. Cannery Row is a good starting point. I read it in Monterey, so that was a bonus.

Not too bad a writer if you can get past the whole commie thing.
Old 12-09-03, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
The only Steinbeck that I've read is Of Mice and Men and I enjoyed it a lot. My brother loves his books, so I'll have to ask him about recommendations.

As for Hemingway, I'd say A Farewell To Arms. I had to read it in 11th grade, waited to the last minute and finished in a day. Turns out that I loved it and it's probably my favorite fiction book. Or you may want to pick up some of his short stories to test him out.
Old 12-09-03, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,430 Likes on 1,044 Posts
Originally posted by DJLinus
The only Steinbeck that I've read is Of Mice and Men and I enjoyed it a lot. My brother loves his books, so I'll have to ask him about recommendations.

As for Hemingway, I'd say A Farewell To Arms. I had to read it in 11th grade, waited to the last minute and finished in a day. Turns out that I loved it and it's probably my favorite fiction book. Or you may want to pick up some of his short stories to test him out.
Steinbeck never did much for me, real "icepick thru the skull to stop the hurting" kind of stuff.

Hemingway, though, I loved a Farewell to Arms, but I wanted to jump into the boat with the old man at sea, beat the damn fish off with an oar, then take the old man to Long John Silver's. Yeah, that bad.