Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Buffy novels any good?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-03, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Buffy novels any good?

Are any of the Buffy novels any good? They're in the Juvenile section at Borders, but I realize most mass market retailers aren't too hip with some of their classifications.

One in particular is called The Lost Slayer, about an alternate future where vampires have taken over the earth.

anyone?
Old 11-22-03, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
I've also been curious about the Buffy novels.

It's kind of hard to figure out what is what, because some novels are written for the YA market, and others seem to be geared to more adult readers. Since Amazon lists all of their Buffy-related books in the YA section, they're no roadmap, either.

Generally, I try to avoid novel tie-ins to things like Star Trek and Star Wars because there's really no attempt to keep the things in continuity. But I find myself jonesing for a Buffy fix.

Some of the Buffy books that I've heard were good were "Pretty Maids All in a Row" (a Spike and Dru book), "Lost Slayer," "Book of Fours," and the "Tales of the Slayers" books. But I've yet to actually read any of them. I think "Lost Slayer" might be the book you're thinking of.

I did read through one of the Buffy Comic books a while back. It was a short story in of DH's Annuals -- it might've been their first Buffy story -- and was really put off because it was fairly obvious that the artist had never seen the show. The whole thing took place in Buffy's house, but looked nothing like the one on the show. Kind of pulls you out of the story when a bunch of little demons are chasing Buffy around her house which actually isn't her house. I've since flipped through a few of the graphic novels at Borders, and the art for these books is generally kind of blah.
Old 12-06-03, 06:08 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had never thought about Buffy books as a fix for the withdrawal. That could be the perfect solution. God, while I’m not looking for The Great American Novel, if they are poorly written that would be a drag. Of course on the plus side, if Dawn is in any of them you can just skip over her whines.