Reload this Page >

LOTR: ROTK book question (spoilers) [Movie question, actually]

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

LOTR: ROTK book question (spoilers) [Movie question, actually]

Old 12-01-03, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 196 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally posted by Giantrobo
The two Hobbits that went to Treebeard's home and drank his liquid also grew taller than normal Hobbits right? This made them brave enough to kick ass in the Shire didn't it?
Merry and Pippen both grew at least three inches from drinking the ent-draught.

I don't think drinking the ent-draught made them brave enough to kick ass in the Shire. I think all four hobbits' experiences during their incredible journey enabled them to kick ass in the Shire. After all they went through, it wasn't really a whole hell of a lot, just a little test to see how much they had grown.
Old 12-01-03, 11:52 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Nick Danger
Calling caligulathegod -- since you have an electronic version, can you please cut and paste the paragraph from the introduction where Tolkein specifically says that LOTR is not an allegory on WWII?
Just because it's not an allegory doesn't mean that you can't draw parallels or find support for a particular course of action in a historical or future event.

It was meant to be a new myth for England, and like any myth it reflects and comments on the times it was created in, and endures only so long as it continues to be relevant to issues of the day.
Old 12-02-03, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,885 Likes on 1,162 Posts
Originally posted by B.A.hist
Merry and Pippen both grew at least three inches from drinking the ent-draught.

I don't think drinking the ent-draught made them brave enough to kick ass in the Shire. I think all four hobbits' experiences during their incredible journey enabled them to kick ass in the Shire. After all they went through, it wasn't really a whole hell of a lot, just a little test to see how much they had grown.

Ok Fair enough.

I couldn't remember the name of the draught and I couldn't remember if it made them more bold.
Old 12-02-03, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,885 Likes on 1,162 Posts
I have another question....

When Gandalf was falling with the Balrog where did they land? Is there a name for that place?
Old 12-02-03, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 162 Posts
In terms of trying to tie LOTR into WWII, it can be done. However, if you try hard enough one could also tie the events of 9/11 and Iraq to it as well, and some actually have done such.
Peter Jackson made note of this and said it more or less proved Tolkien's point that despite all that is done, evil will persist in the world. Basically, LOTR can be related to many events throughout time as was intended by the author, not limited to one event in particular.

In terms of the scouring, it would only get a good reaction from the Tolkien fans. Critics and mainstream audiences alike would bemoan it as anti-climactic. I actually feel that the scouring should have been left out of the book and placed in the appendices as a little extra story, because it is very good on a stand alone basis IMO.
Old 12-05-03, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, Gandalf wasn't involved in the Scouring, which is kind of the whole point.

All of the advance reviews of ROTK have pointed out that it suffers from the classic "too many endings" problem, and that a few grumbles about this were heard from audience members who hadn't read the books. There's so much that happens after Mount Doom, which is the real climax of the movie anyway, that to have a 5-10 minute Scouring sequence in there too would have really killed it for a lot of viewers. PJ was right to leave it out.

There will be an epilogue, similar to the prologue of FOTR, with narration by Galadriel.
This is not in the theatrical version of ROTK. No voiceover, no epilogue. It ends, shall we say, just like the book.

That was the one thing I didn't understand about Fellowship (movie)- why Sam wasn't summoned to Galadriel's pool, as well as Frodo.
If you watch the movie closely, there are strong hints that the Mirror scene is a dream of Frodo's, at least, that has always been my interpretation. But that's beside the point. PJ & Co. changed this scene from the book; in the movie, it is basically the point at which Frodo decides what he has to do, with the help of Galadriel. There's a lot more to it in the book, but I think the film version works too.