Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

help--Has anyone read Clarissa by Samuel Richardson?

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 10-23-03, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 375 Likes on 242 Posts

I'm in homework agony right now. I wrote a 20 page paper earlier this week, and have two more to turn in tomorrow (only 2 and 5 pages--but it's the accumulation of all this that is beating me down). I haven't kept up on my reading for one of my lit classes and today I discovered that there are no cliff's notes. We're reading the abridged version (only 500 pages as opposed to 1500) but it's loooong and I haven't had time.

So could someone tell me how it ends?
Spoiler:
I know she dies, but why? I've read up to the rape (page 300 or so).

Thanks in advance and please, no sending me in to my quiz tomorrow with humorous stupid answers (Clarissa dies because she [insert a bunch of stuff that will amuse this forum but make me look like an idiot to my teacher.]

tasha
(Yes, I know I need to read this, but since I can't in time, I'm hoping that a basic plot and some gumption will give me enough tools to bs my way through some essay questions.)
Old 10-24-03, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't answer your specific question (can't, not won't - I've read other Richadson books but not Clarissa), but I do have a couple of suggestions for future reference. I was an English major myself, so I do feel your pain.

-- When you know you can't finish in time, try skimming/selective reading. Flip ahead through a scene, read enough to see what's going on, flip to the next scene. If you see something that indicates that something momentous has happened (like the main character's funeral!) then flip back a bit.

-- For future reading assignments, plan ahead IN DETAIL. Look at the page count, figure out when you need to have it finished by, and do simple division to figure out how many pages you have to read per day, minimum. Then stick to it (and get ahead if possible). Use the skimming method in conjunction if necessary. This was the only thing that saved me when I had 4-5 lit classes at once, all with heavy reading lists - if I didn't have an actual number of pages to get through, I'd get behind.

-- In your essay quiz, the best thing to do is to try to select questions (or focus your answers) that have to do with parts of the book that you have read. Generally speaking, the professor *will* know if you are bs-ing, so it's better to write a skimpy answer on something you don't really know, and a complete, well-thought-out answer on something you do know.

You could also try talking to the professor and admitting that you didn't finish, and ask for advice. I've been on both sides of the desk, so to speak, and in my view I'd look more favorably on the student who admitted falling behind, rather than the one who tried to fool me into thinking he'd done the work. You could suggest writing a short response paper on the ending, instead of taking the quiz, for instance.

Good luck!
Old 10-24-03, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 375 Likes on 242 Posts
Thanks ordway. I think I passed since I'd read 3/5 of the book (my teacher was nice and made most questions from the first half) but skimming doesn't work for me on tests that are solely based on short passages. On the down side, I ordered the dvd, and that won't help either--so I'm going to have to double up and finish it while I start the next book. I did admit on the test that I hadn't finished the book because I think you're right--better behind than a pretender.

tasha
Old 10-24-03, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you made the best of it! Hope you did OK (and that your next book isn't such a massive tome... I always did find 18th century literature to be a real drag, I admit.)