Reload this Page >

Koushun Takami's Battle Royale

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 09-28-03, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought this book because the premise intrigued me.

Has anyone else read this book? What are your opinions? Did i make a good choice?
Old 09-28-03, 11:23 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Is this related to the movie in some way?
Old 09-28-03, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I do belive they made a movie based on the book, yep.
Old 09-29-03, 05:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought this was a really good book. Some people may be turned off by the violence or unable to keep up with the large list of characters though. I finished the book really quickly only took me a day or so. It's pretty much non stop action. I think it's better then the movie but I think the best version is the manga version but those arent all out in the US yet.
Old 09-29-03, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by travlr
I thought this was a really good book. Some people may be turned off by the violence or unable to keep up with the large list of characters though. I finished the book really quickly only took me a day or so. It's pretty much non stop action. I think it's better then the movie but I think the best version is the manga version but those arent all out in the US yet.
The manga version is being released in the US by TokyoPop. I think it is up to volume 3 or so. These are available in bookstores, comic shops & even amazon.com. Check 'em out.
Old 09-29-03, 10:52 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I didn't realize there was a book (I've seen the movie and liked it quite a bit). I'll have to check this out.
Old 09-29-03, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Got the first two volumes. It gets very repetitive and takes about five pages for stuff to happen.

If you've seen the film, you might have the same sense of "get on with it...".

Lots of stuff in the books that they left out of the film, though. Kitano's character is a hell of a lot nastier.
Old 09-29-03, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well I'm about 100 pages through it already.... And man oh man, Once it gets started it really doesn't stop.

The chapter with the two lovers jumping off the cliff together made me tear up. These words are really powerful. Amazing book so far. I look forward to finishing it.
Old 09-30-03, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Now I'm up to around page 300 or so, and my opinion has only gotten stronger. Definately one of the best books I've read in years. And certainly on my top five list.

Every chapter I just have to put the book down and breath and calm down. It's such an emotionally exhausting book, it's actually difficult to read sometimes...

As for the characters, I can't really like any of them. There's something about every single one of them that makes me want get over their and bitch slap them. Shuya is so naive, Noriko... Well I can't hate her... She's disabled. Shogo, he's cool and all, but there's something odd about him. He knows way too much about the layout of the island, and medicine, and cooking, etc etc and I get a strong sense that he's up to something. Mitsuki, her character hasn't really been developed much, but I can tell she's starting to become an evil selfish girl.

I'm actually suprised I'm keeping up with the characters so well.. I was really overwhelmed at first with the 40+ characters that were presented at the beginning of the book. Add the fact that their Japanese names confuse me occasionally. But I'm following it all really well.
Old 10-01-03, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

this book is easily THE BEST BOOK I've read in five years. Easily. Maybe even ten.

I ran through this book in less than three days.

This class has over forty students (42 to be exact)... and I was at first overhwlemed. Not only were there so many characters to keep track of, but being a Japanese book with Japanese names, they were confusing too!!! But I easily adapted and I gotta tell you, each and every single character is fleshed out, each one with his or her own back story. And you feel and sympathise with each and every one of them. This is easily the most gut-wrenching book I've read in a long time. I've cried several times, in public no less, reading this book I screamed out in excitement, and gasped in exhaustion often, most of the time after every single chapter (Of which there are many). You find out why every single character (Minor or major) does what he or she does, and you understand their fears, their trauma... I have to say this is the most emotionally and physically exhausting books I've read in a long time.

I had to go lay down after finishing this.

Such an amazing book.