Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Stephen King's "Storm of the Century"

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-03, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stephen King's "Storm of the Century"

Does the book form read like a novel, or does it read like a screenplay? I know it was obviously written in screenplay-fashion, but was it later rewritten to be in novel-fashion?

If you were to compare the screenplay to the finished film, what criticism would you have, if any? Do you feel the actors did justice, or that they couldn't possibly fill the shoes to the characters in the screenplay?

Personally, I think Tim Daly did a great job (judging him from the film and by not reading the screenplay yet, of course).
Old 08-19-03, 05:49 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's only available in screenplay format; hence, it reads very screenplay-ish, not at all novel-ish.

In my opinion, every miniseries ever released (except arguably ROOTS) comes out of the proverbial gate with a limp, due to being limited in budget, visual scope and caliber of talent, but having said that, STORM OF THE CENTURY was one of the most adept I've ever seen at working around its limitations and providing quality performances, decent production design and effective chills...if only they could just convey the palpable feeling of wintery frigidity found in say, the Kubrick film THE SHINING. STORM OF THE CENTURY looks cold...THE SHINING makes me actually feel cold...