Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code - opinions / thoughts ? [merged]

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-03, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FYI, there's a new webquest on Dan Brown's site and apparently it contains codes to what his next book is gonna be about. But get this, the clues for the codes are actually on the cover of the Da Vinci Code. How cool is that? I'm still stumped at the first code.
Old 11-12-03, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Kal Jedi
FYI, there's a new webquest on Dan Brown's site and apparently it contains codes to what his next book is gonna be about. But get this, the clues for the codes are actually on the cover of the Da Vinci Code. How cool is that? I'm still stumped at the first code.

I finished the webquest already.

Here's the new webquest that Kal Jedi is talking about:

http://www.randomhouse.com/doubleday/davinci/

Kal Jedi, the answer to the first code is:

Spoiler:
Kryptos

Old 11-12-03, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks! I should really frequent this forum more. Sorry I missed that thread.
Old 01-16-04, 09:38 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what is the Da Vinci Code about?

I'm curious to find out what the book Da Vinci Code is about. I see it on the best-sellers list and the top seller on amazon.com. If anyone could shed some light, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 01-16-04, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Basically a murder mystery thriller with lots of history tossed in.
Old 01-16-04, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

About the true meaning of the Holy Grail. The Sangreal.
Old 01-16-04, 06:42 PM
Banned

I didn't read it, but my girlfriend highly recommends it (except for me because it's apparently very anti-Catholic)
Old 01-16-04, 07:23 PM

Good stuff. Check out the book jacket print from amazon. Good art history as well. I like it, and the rest of the stuff Dan Brown writes because the heroes are the smart guys. But yes, very critical of the Catholic Church.
Old 01-16-04, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
I know someone reading it now and she can't put it down. The book is apparently anti Catholic. She's an Italian Catholic and an art historian but she says it's an awesome book.
Old 01-16-04, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I'm no theologian but don't almost all versions of Christianity stem from Roman Catholocism? I just don't get all the hatred for the Catholic faith.
Old 01-17-04, 02:08 AM

murder mystery, and in the course of solving the murder the main character discovers shocking evidence that goes against typical christian (catholic) teachings.

average FICTION book, overhyped because the author claims at the beginning of the book that the evidence against church doctrine is fact.
Old 01-17-04, 10:20 PM
Banned

Is this book in the same vein as Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco?
Old 01-18-04, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by jayson1017
The plots are in a similar vein (historical mystery involving secret Catholic societies), but Eco's writing is light years ahead of Brown's.* If you dig Eco, you may find it hard to stomach Brown. I know I did.

DJ

* In the essence of full disclosure, I've not read Brown's "The Da Vinci Code," but rather the earlier "Angels & Demons." From the browsing through of "Da Vinci" that I did, I'd be incredibly surprised if his writing developed even a tiny bit. For example, an Amazon.com reviewer quotes the following improbable piece of awful writing: "Everyone in the reception area gasped in wonderment at the sight of the half-naked albino offering the bleeding clergyman..."
Old 01-19-04, 12:29 PM

As someone who just read it with little knowledge of the book going into it (I knew the barest of outlines) and who typically doesn't read these types of books, I was mildly entertained. The first third of the book is very entertaining, but the rest was so-so. I can certainly see how a devout Catholic could potentially be offended by the book. (Note: I have no idea how loose Brown plays with the facts here.) The plotting is good, the writing isn't very good. Personal pet peeve -- Brown's use of constantly ending/starting chapters to develop false sense of suspense.

YMMV, of course...
Old 01-19-04, 06:14 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by djtoell
The plots are in a similar vein (historical mystery involving secret Catholic societies), but Eco's writing is light years ahead of Brown's.* If you dig Eco, you may find it hard to stomach Brown. I know I did.
I'd also recommend Michael Baignet's Holy Blood, Holy Grail, which is a non-fiction* exploration of this topic. The truth is sstranger than fiction; why read a hack reintepretation of the evidence wrapped around a B-list murder mystery when you can read about the real deal.

*Assuming you can call any examination of an alleged 2000-year-old secret conspiracy implicating whole govenrments and churches "non-fiction".
Old 01-20-04, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think it's Anti-Catholic. And I consider myself a very devout one at that. Still the best book I read last year. Can't wait for his next one.
Old 01-22-04, 12:36 PM
Suspended

I thought DaVinci Code had a better body, but Angels and Demons had a better ending. IMOP.
Old 02-20-04, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Da Vinci Code was really dissapointing. How the hell are they going to make a movie out of this? Two hours of people standing, driving, and flying while playing word games and puzzles. It was completely ludicris.
and...

Spoiler:
The knights templar gathered and hid the grail for hundreds of years, all while despising what the Catholic Church had done to thier faith, just to bury it where no one would find it?!?!?!?!?! Ever?!!?!?!? And then HAVE to reveal the secret to another FOR WHAT?!?!?!?
And Sofie's grandmother and brother are 'hidden' next door to a famous templar church?!?!?!
Give me a break!
And dont get me started on that 'the grail lives through song and poem speech the old lady gave at the end...what the f* *k is this? A Viking epic?

What this book was is an excuse to take conspiricy theories that are the beliefs of some of the most un-credible characters in the world and transform them into credibile through clever use of fiction. Look at the people who really espouse these myths on the grail. You wouldnt buy a pencil off of them on the street. But make a novel where Langdon and Sophie and other powerful people believe it and viola!

Plus Dan Browns writing has no style. He's a well educated dime store novelist

Last edited by Tommy Ceez; 02-20-04 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-24-04, 11:55 AM

Hey guys I am new so bare with me How do you read the spoilers that are covered up?
Old 02-24-04, 12:44 PM
Uber Member

Use your mouse to highlight the text in the black areas, or just triple-click on the black spoiler area (triple-clicking is just like double-clicking, only you do it 3 times.)
Old 02-24-04, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by Blade
Use your mouse to highlight the text in the black areas, or just triple-click on the black spoiler area (triple-clicking is just like double-clicking, only you do it 3 times.)
AWESOME! THANKS!
Old 02-25-04, 03:20 AM

OK, you got me.
Ordered it today.
Old 02-25-04, 09:12 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by jayson1017
I never heard of this book (or author), but based on the little research I just did, I'm definitely going to check this book out!
Old 02-26-04, 12:00 AM

Umberto Eco also wrote Name of the Rose. I own both and both are on my to be read list.
Old 03-03-04, 05:54 PM

...a lot of parts reminded me of 'Raiders of the Lost Ark'

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.