Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Grail / Knights Templar suggestion/discussion thread [Feb '06: Steve Berry's latest]

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Grail / Knights Templar suggestion/discussion thread [Feb '06: Steve Berry's latest]

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-03, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

well I'm halfway through The Da Vinci Code, by, Dan Brown.

Fascinating stuff.

Of course now I'm interested in the history of the Knights Templar.

Can anyone suggest a good book to read on the Knights Templar?

Spoiler:
And, has anyone read Holy Blood, Holy Grail? Can't remember the authors name, but, it proposes the same theories that is in The Da Vinci Code, only it's supposed to be NON-fiction. Put this in spoilers because I don't want to give anything away from Dan Brown's book,

Thanks
Old 05-03-03, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you looking for conspiracy theory stuff or origin stuff about the history of the crusades and the like? You know they were a military order like the Hospitalers (recognize the name?) and other groups.

My art history prof. (Dr. Jaroslav Folda), an authority on the Crusades thinks most of the stuff about them being behind the creation of huge banks, illuminati and all that is pretty much pure bunk.

That said, I can't think of a book specifically about them that I've read, though Stephen Lawhead's "Celtic Crusades" trilogy mentions them among other groups. Haven't read the third book yet though and I hear they play a more prominent role in that one.
Old 05-03-03, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
The Trial of the Templars by Malcolm Barber

Holy Blood, Holy Grail by Michael Baigent

The Temple and the Lodge by Michael Baigent

The Hiram Key by Christopher Knight

The Second Messiah by Christopher Knight

...would be a good start. Look these books up on Amazon, and see if they're what you're looking for. Also be sure to check the Amazon recommendations and "customers who bought this also bought..." links.

If you're looking for actual factual accounts of the Templars, then Trial of the Templars would be a good place to start. There are tons of conspiracy theories attached to the Knights Templar, so you might want to take any outlandish claims about them with a grain of salt.
Old 05-03-03, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tuan Jim, Josh-da-man, thanks for the replies.

As to what I'm looking for, well, it's both.

I'd like to read a history of the Templars, and also read about the "conspiracy," even if it is bunk.

Some bunk, well written, is very entertaining.

Trying to sort out the bad from the good is going to be the problem.

Heading out to Borders today, so I'll look up some of those titles.

Hospitalers?

Who were they?
Old 05-03-03, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by smokedragon

Hospitalers?

Who were they?
N/P. Hospitalers were a military order of knights who also ran monasteries and retreats in the holy land during the crusades. Basically they had the first "real" hospitals. They were medically oriented and religious as well as fighters. Can't remember too much else at the moment. A lot of these different groups were all founded about the same time when the crusades started, for different reasons and purposes.
Old 05-04-03, 03:51 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Holy Blood, Holy Grail by Michael Baigent
Just to nitpick, I believe Baigent was assisted by Messrs. Leigh & Lincoln.

[I only know because it was mentioned quite recently in another thread].
Old 05-04-03, 12:20 PM
Mod Emeritus

Some general resources:I found a Usenet bibliographical FAQ that details numerous reference works as well as fictional material and a list that looks at Masonic and Grail type references etc as well as the Templar side of things.

This title came up several times during my cursory search:-

&nbsp&nbspThe New Knighthood
&nbsp&nbsp(A Historyof the Order of the Temple)
&nbsp&nbspMalcolm Barber
&nbsp&nbspCambridge, 1994 (paper).
&nbsp&nbspISBN 0-521-55872-7

But as for "good" books on the Knights Templar I couldn't honestly say! When it comes to fictive prose, Katherine Kurtz has written more than a few Templar-based tales and Lawrence Durrell wrote a series (the Avignon quintet) that may be of interest. I understand that "Foucault's Pendulum", by Umberto Eco, is another work that includes aspects of Templar lore. See also Oscar Cappelli's Rhapsody for a Unicorn.
Old 05-05-03, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I went to Borders and picked up Holy Blood, Holy Grail.

I would have looked around for more on the list, but, I stopped at the Horror section and picked up 3 books.

Thanks for the info, and links. Can't wait to get started.
Old 05-08-03, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've been reading Sign and the Seal: Quest for the Lost Ark of the Covenant by Graham Hancock. It has several sections on the Knights Templar, and is a quite interesting (albeit long) read.
Old 05-21-03, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To anyone else who's reading/read The Da Vinci Code, have you guys tried the "Challenge" over at dan brown's site? It's quite the pilgrimage and I'm upto the 6th gate right now and was wondering if any of you could help.

Thanks.
Old 05-22-03, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Holy Blood/Holy Grail" is probably the most on-point for a "Da Vinci Code" followup.

You might like Umberto Eco's "Foucault's Pendulum", which covers much the same territory and comes to a more philosophically interesting conclusion... not exactly a great read though. Maybe it's just me, but Eco's prose doesn't exactly leap off the page. I've never once felt like reciting a passage of his to my wife, for example. But if you can plow through his more turgid passages, it's every bit as fascinating as Brown's novel.

BTW, I'm certain the Da Vinci Club readers noticed a certain character by the name of Merovingian in "The Matrix Reloaded"!
Old 06-10-03, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Richard Malloy

BTW, I'm certain the Da Vinci Club readers noticed a certain character by the name of Merovingian in "The Matrix Reloaded"!
I noticed it because I studied a couple semesters of medieval art -- pretty weird to name someone that. Didn't make any connection myself.
Old 06-12-03, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 511 Likes on 353 Posts
A pretty freaky "conspiracy" novel to check out would be Flicker by Theodore Roszak.
Old 08-01-03, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by smokedragon
Well, I went to Borders and picked up Holy Blood, Holy Grail.

I would have looked around for more on the list, but, I stopped at the Horror section and picked up 3 books.

Thanks for the info, and links. Can't wait to get started.
Have you read HB,HG yet? I'm about half way through it. What do you think?
Old 08-02-03, 06:58 AM

Also, check "Foucault's Pendulum" by Umberto Eco, same guy who wrote "Name of the Rose". Haven't finished it yet, but the plot revolves around the Templar Knights stories.
J
Old 08-02-03, 07:38 AM
Mod Emeritus

Three times is the charm

Old 10-13-04, 09:09 AM

Holy Blood, Holy Grail

Has anyone read it? I found it to be a very interesting theory, perhaps one of the most important of our time. How much truth do you think there is to it?

Does anyone have any other recommendations along the same lines?
Old 10-13-04, 10:04 AM

I read it years a go and I thought it was interesting but I don't know how much weight to put into it. The most I can say is that reading it made the Divinci code less than thrilling.....
Old 10-13-04, 10:54 AM

well, i guess i won't bother reading the divinchi code then!
Old 10-13-04, 11:01 AM
Mod Emeritus

Here's what I wrote when smokedragon asked a similar question a while back:
Some general resources:I found a Usenet bibliographical FAQ that details numerous reference works as well as fictional material and a list that looks at Masonic and Grail type references etc as well as the Templar side of things.

This title came up several times during my cursory search:-

&nbsp&nbspThe New Knighthood
&nbsp&nbsp(A Historyof the Order of the Temple)
&nbsp&nbspMalcolm Barber
&nbsp&nbspCambridge, 1994 (paper).
&nbsp&nbspISBN 0-521-55872-7

But as for "good" books on the Knights Templar I couldn't honestly say! When it comes to fictive prose, Katherine Kurtz has written more than a few Templar-based tales and Lawrence Durrell wrote a series (the Avignon quintet) that may be of interest. I understand that "Foucault's Pendulum", by Umberto Eco, is another work that includes aspects of Templar lore. See also Oscar Cappelli's Rhapsody for a Unicorn.

Edited to delete duplicate following the merger and to add a link back to the dedicated da Vinci thread:

Last edited by benedict; 02-21-06 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-15-04, 11:17 AM

thanks for the info everyone
Old 02-21-06, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Steve Berry's "The Templar Legacy"

Anybody else picking this up today? I thoroughly enjoyed his last book, The Third Secret so I'll be buying this after work:

FROM THE PUBLISHER
The ancient order of the Knights Templar possessed untold wealth and absolute power over kings and popes . . . until the Inquisition, when they were wiped from the face of the earth, their hidden riches lost. But now two forces vying for the treasure have learned that it is not at all what they thought it was-and its true nature could change the modern world.
Cotton Malone, one-time top operative for the U.S. Justice Department, is enjoying his quiet new life as an antiquarian book dealer in Copenhagen when an unexpected call to action reawakens his hair-trigger instincts-and plunges him back into the cloak-and-dagger world he thought he'd left behind.
It begins with a violent robbery attempt on Cotton's former supervisor, Stephanie Nelle, who's far from home on a mission that has nothing to do with national security. Armed with vital clues to a series of centuries-old puzzles scattered across Europe, she means to crack a mystery that has tantalized scholars and fortune-hunters through the ages by finding the legendary cache of wealth and forbidden knowledge thought to have been lost forever when the order of the Knights Templar was exterminated in the fourteenth century. But she's not alone. Competing for the historic prize-and desperate for the crucial information Stephanie possesses-is Raymond de Roquefort, a shadowy zealot with an army of assassins at his command.
Welcome or not, Cotton seeks to even the odds in the perilous race. But the more he learns about the ancient conspiracy surrounding the Knights Templar, the more he realizes that even more than lives are at stake. At the end of a lethal game of conquest, rife with intrigue, treachery, and craven lust for power,lies a shattering discovery that could rock the civilized world-and, in the wrong hands, bring it to its knees.
Haven't had a chance to read his other two novels, "The Amber Room" and "The Romanov Prophecy".

Last edited by Kal-El; 02-21-06 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-21-06, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I enjoyed The Templar Legacy for the most part. The writing is okay and the story is entertaining, but the seemingly intentional blasphemy of the climax put me off. But if you have an interest in this subject, I think you'll enjoy it.

I haven't read his earlier books. Berry is now going to be writing several in a row featuring this latest group of characters.
Old 03-03-06, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just finished it.
I enjoyed the Third Secret much more than this. This one just dragged...and dragged...and then dragged on some more. And then that finale seemed incredibly forced and convenient.
Old 03-08-06, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

I read this over the winter - it's a short read that is fairly informative on the Templars, though it does not solely focus on them. It's a good start for anyone interested in the subject.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.