Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

My Novel Is Released This Week: The Australia Stories

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-03, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Novel Is Released This Week: The Australia Stories

I'm a long time DVDTalker (since 2000, the initial year). My first novel, The Australia Stories, is coming out April 2. At least that's the official pubdate.

It's already starting to show up in Barnes & Nobles, as well as many independents and travel book stores. Every Barnes & Noble will carry multiple copies of the book. Depending on store size, your local Barnes & Noble will carry between 3-6 copies of the book as an initial shipment. Bookstar should be about the same. From what I understand Border's placement may be a little patchy--which is not unusual--but multiple copies should be in *most* Border's stores.

In short, The Australia Stories is the story of one man, Sam Browne, who returns to Australia in search of his family's history. Through seven chapters--a collage of stories--Sam is haunted by the deaths of his mother and grandmother, both of whom came to tragic ends while hiking across Australia's Blue Mountains.

I'd love for DVD talkers to pick up a copy. I'd also be curious to know how many copies are showing up at various Barnes and Nobles around the country. Post if you know. It should be stocked in one of the following categories (1) new fiction, (2) the new fiction display table, or simply (3) fiction and literature. Please post if you see them in a local store. If you like the books please post a quick review on Amazon. It would mean a great deal to me.

Also I'm at: [email protected]

You can get it for 30% off at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1931561281/

(Amazon coupons, from DVD Bargains--works on books, too!)
MAPAMEXCBLUE $5 off $35 03/31/03
MAPAMEXCARDS $10 off $75 03/31/03
MAPAMEXDELTA $5 off $35 03/31/03

Also, Canada Amazon Link:
http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/1931561281

If anyone can figure out a cheaper way to get copies of the novel, I'd love to know, as I'm sending out a lot of emails this month with links.
Old 03-23-03, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I see you got a blurb from Thomas Keneally. Well done!

Now maybe you can explain it to me....

"Todd James Pierce exploits a translucent style to tell stories of robust intention and emotional subtlety."

Does that mean he liked it?
Old 03-23-03, 12:15 PM

Yeah, actually I got very lucky with blurbs. As blurbs came in close to the date to print the dust jacke (the book and jacket, as usual, were printed on different weeks) only some blurbs were listed in the catelogue and, hence, only some were listed on Amazon. I received blurbs Robert Olen Butler (pulitzer prize winner for fiction), Jim Crace (finalist for the Booker prize), Mark Winegardner (the guy who just got the Godfather Returns contract), Bob Shacochis (finalist for the national book award), Janet Burroway (finalist for the national book award), and of course Thomas Keneally (winner of the Booker Prize).

Actually Tom's quote was much longer and was shortened to fit space on the back of the dust jacket. He liked the book a great deal. Tom has a very erudite vocab. I'm sure your question was half-ironic, half-in-jest, but the publisher chose to use that section of the quote because so many of the other quotes say things about being a first-time author (eg "...a brilliantly nuanced work of fiction by a young writer..." - Butler). The rest of his quote was about, an excellent book by a new writer, etc. But basically, in Tom's way, the quote means the novel is full of strong emotion and gets to the heart of the matter easily.

I'll try to upload a PDF of the entire jacket to my own site later today.

It's actually been a very interesting experience having a first novel come out. I've learned a lot about the ins-and-outs of the book business.
Old 03-23-03, 02:14 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Congrats on the novel!
Old 03-23-03, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats!
Old 03-24-03, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Congrats. I guess we'll have a famous DVDtalker (besides Geoff) in no time
Old 04-20-03, 10:19 AM

Hasn't this forum been around since 1999 at least?
Old 04-21-03, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Definite congratulations - even if you are a Seminole (from a "fellow" Gator)...

Can you describe the process you went through to get published? that would be interesting.

Sounds like an interesting novel!