DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/book-talk-18/)
-   -   What's the longest you've gone without reading a book? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/book-talk/276645-whats-longest-youve-gone-without-reading-book.html)

Captain Harlock 03-07-03 11:46 AM

What's the longest you've gone without reading a book?

The longest span I've gone without reading a book has probably been about 5 years. Then I saw Fellowship Of The Ring and that compelled me to read LOTR ( which I still haven't finished).

Before that I think the last book I read was Robotech: End Of The Circle.

I still think the reason alot of people like myself don't read as much as they should is partley the fault of the public schools. I kept saying I was into sci fi and fantasy and they kept shoving more of the so-called "classics" in my face. The prevailing philosophy was "No no. Don't read that. More Dickens. More Shakespeare. More Arthur Miller. More Edith Wharton. If it's not tedious and boring you're not learing."

gutwrencher 03-08-03 04:21 PM

maybe a week...if that. it all started around the age of 12, and now I'm 39!

muggins 03-08-03 05:03 PM

I would have to say probably about 6 weeks. Though, if I were to measure it only by books I chose to read, instead of books that I am required to read for classes, it would probably be almost a year.

Holly E. Ordway 03-08-03 06:24 PM

It's possible to *not* be reading a book at any given moment in time??? Heh.

I always have a "book in progress" - I might read only a few pages a day, if I'm busy (usually before I go to sleep) but I still make some progress. I usually choose a new book as soon as I finish with one... at most, the lag time is only a couple of days.

Then again, I'm the kind of person who reads the cereal boxes at breakfast, so no surprise that I am always reading something! :)

I was an English major in college, so I had plenty of assigned reading, but I always had a "fun book" apart from the books I had to read for class. I enjoyed doing the assigned readings, for the most part, but it's just not the same thing as reading a book *just because you want to*.

So many books, so little time...

darkside 03-08-03 07:47 PM

A couple of weeks at most and that was a long time ago.

alyxstarr 03-08-03 09:30 PM

ordway, my sentiments exactly! From the time I was four until high school I was always, always reading. A math teacher I had in middle school once told me I was the only student he ever let get away with reading books in the middle of his class. :lol: Since high school, I've slowed down a little (though I did my fair share of reading in college), but I still read a little of something every day. Usually I have several books in progress.

Geofferson 03-08-03 10:43 PM

About 4 years. While in college, I did not read a single book for pleasure - read textbooks for 4 years.

Anyway, over the past 2 years I've been making up for lost time averaging a book a week. :)

schizopak 03-10-03 12:20 AM

about a month. any longer than that and i feel that i get stupider. i have a very tenous grasp on my mental faculties as it is right now. :D

woofman 03-10-03 11:35 AM

Several years. In my early to mid 20's I was so active in the outdoors skating and biking that I rarely had the time or desire to read. The last year or two I've begun reading a lot more. After seeing LOTR:TTT I got the whole book set for Christmas and read all four books in two months. I think it's safe to say I'm back in the mode; however having just purchased a house that needs serious renovations, that free time may disappear again soon.

Charlie Goose 03-10-03 08:47 PM

Maybe over the course of a summer when I was a kid. I've always enjoyed reading and can't imagine giving it up.

http://charliegoose.homestead.com/files/goose.jpg Honk!

Giantrobo 03-10-03 11:16 PM

Originally posted by ordway

http://www.conelrad.com/mutatedtelev.../mutv_tz01.gif

BoatDrinks 03-11-03 06:11 PM

Even through some years of reading no fiction I was reading some non-fiction books, but...

Embarrassing as it is, I figure I went about 4 or 5 years without reading any fiction. Maybe one in that time.

God, when I think back and realize that there's another 50-200 books I could have read... :(

Shadow77 03-20-03 10:00 PM

Originally posted by ordway

I always have a "book in progress" - I might read only a few pages a day, if I'm busy (usually before I go to sleep) but I still make some progress. I usually choose a new book as soon as I finish with one... at most, the lag time is only a couple of days.

Then again, I'm the kind of person who reads the cereal boxes at breakfast, so no surprise that I am always reading something! :)

I was an English major in college, so I had plenty of assigned reading, but I always had a "fun book" apart from the books I had to read for class. I enjoyed doing the assigned readings, for the most part, but it's just not the same thing as reading a book *just because you want to*.

Ditto, my friend. I always read something every day. If I sit down to a meal, I'm reading. I even read when I listen to music or watch TV, sometimes. Always drove the ex-wife crazy.

mhg83 12-31-11 11:23 AM

Re: What's the longest you've gone without reading a book?

A few years ago i was reading two-three books a week. Last year i stopped completely but this year i finally got back into reading. Only 5 this year but i'm hoping to increase that number in 2012.

gutwrencher 12-31-11 11:48 AM

My last "book" post up above was when I was 39. I'm almost 49 now. still reading....a lot. Now that I have a Kindle....I read even more. Mostly history and bios......but at least one a week. I prefer a physical book and library....just like with dvds...but sometimes technology really pays off.

movie diva 01-01-12 12:56 PM

It has been a year, I have been in school, so no reading for pleasure, but I will be finished with school in 2 months, and I can start working on the large stack of unread books that I have. Can't wait.

Coral 01-02-12 08:24 PM

Probably about 8 years.

I recently bought a Kobo Touch and so far I've read 4 books in the last 3 weeks - which is pretty rare for me.

maxfisher 01-02-12 09:23 PM

I've used my lunch breaks for reading since my first job in high school, so I always have a book going. Depending on my schedule and its length/how good it is, I'll go through a book in anywhere from a day to two weeks. I almost exclusively read fiction.

Nick Danger 01-03-12 01:39 PM

It's a gutwrencher sighting!

starseed1981 01-03-12 01:56 PM

9 Years (Undergrad - Grad - Post Grad).

danfindlay 01-03-12 02:26 PM

The 4.5 years right at the beginning before I learned how. I'm always reading something.

milo bloom 01-06-12 09:21 AM

Maybe a day or so?

BobO'Link 01-08-12 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Holly E. Ordway (Post 3398526)

Couldn't have said it better. Other than being an English major and the possibility of a couple of days lag between books that describes me exactly. I *always* choose and start a new book as soon as I finish one, if not before, with no lag.

Nick Danger 01-08-12 10:04 AM

For a while I got so busy that I didn't read books. I cruised the internet and watched TV and DVDs. After three or four years, I realized that I had lost the habit of reading books. I had to learn the habit again.

The Bus 01-15-12 02:43 AM

I would say a few months, maybe longer. If I go into a bookstore, I usually walk out with a bunch of stuff to read.