DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/book-talk-18/)
-   -   Best / favorite detective / investigator in a mystery book / series ? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/book-talk/271106-best-favorite-detective-investigator-mystery-book-series.html)

Alien Redrum 04-29-01 11:03 AM

Without a doubt, my favorite is Harry Bosch in the books by Michael Connelly.

A close second is Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta, although her last 2 books lack the intensity/suspense of the past novels.

Bringing up 3rd is Repairman Jack in the F. Paul Wilson books. Although his Repairman Jack character seems to investigate more towards the paranormal, his character is very slick.

-Steve

BoatDrinks 04-29-01 12:33 PM

Well of course Harry Bosch! :)

I also like Terry McCaleb from Blood Work and Darkness....

I'm not a Kay Scarpetta fan. Don't know why. I like the writing, but not the character.

I like Jack Reacher from the Lee Child books, although he's not really an investigator per say.

Also, Lou Boldt from the Ridley Pearson books is good.

RDYoung 04-29-01 12:36 PM

I've not read many books with recurring investigative characters, but I have to say that I really kinda dig Kinsey Milhone from the Alphabet series by Sue Grafton. They're really pretty cool to listen to while driving, too.

robyn

battboyy 04-29-01 02:40 PM

I hate to mention this novel so much in this forum, but I just can't help myself. My favorite would be Lionel Essrog in Jonathan Lethem's Motherless Brooklyn. He's a Tourettic detective's assistant who is trying to solve the murder of his boss. It must be read to understand what a great character he is.

Chili Palmer 04-29-01 05:51 PM

Lucas Davenportin John Sanford's books

Mark Beamon in Kyle Mill's books

Alex Cross isn't too bad in Patterson's novels

Edited to add Stone Barrington from Stuart Woods

Alien Redrum 04-29-01 11:22 PM

Originally posted by BoatDrinks
Well of course Harry Bosch! :)

I also like Terry McCaleb from Blood Work and Darkness....

I'm not a Kay Scarpetta fan. Don't know why. I like the writing, but not the character.

I like Jack Reacher from the Lee Child books, although he's not really an investigator per say.

Also, Lou Boldt from the Ridley Pearson books is good.

I loved how he merged McCaleb and Bosch in A Darkness More Than Night. Reading it was like watching a crossover of your 2 favorite TV shows. (I'm still waiting for the Oz/Soprano's crossover :) )

I've never read Lee Child, but what you said about Jack Reacher peaked my curiousity. What do you mean "he's not really an investigator per say." ? Or is it something where I would have to read one of the books to find out what you mean?

-Steve

Scarecrow 04-29-01 11:39 PM

Encyclopedia Brown ;)

Sherlock Holmes
Sam Spade
Phillip Marlowe

Haven't really read much, if any, more modern type stuff.

[Edited by Scarecrow on 04-29-01 at 09:42 PM]

pagemaster7 04-30-01 01:09 AM

I've always liked Sherlock Holmes, in modern novels I like Alex Cross.

Startide 04-30-01 04:00 AM

A tossup between these two

Liam Rhenford in a series of fantasy books by Daniel Hood:Garrett in a series of "metal" books by Glen Cook:

cineman 04-30-01 07:14 AM

Lucas Davenport from John Sandford's Prey novels.

darkside 04-30-01 07:55 AM

The Late Inspector Morse from the Collin Dexter novels

Lucas Davenport from the Prey novels

Lord Peter Wimsey from the Dorothy L Sayers novels

Hercule Poirot from the Agatha Christie novels

and of course Sherlock Holmes from the Doyle novels

Charlie Goose 04-30-01 10:18 AM

I'm reading my first Jack Reacher book, Die Trying right now. So far, it's very good.

Why has no one mentioned Elvis Cole and Joe Pike from Robert Crais' novels or Archy McNally from Lawrence Sanders?

renaldow 04-30-01 11:44 AM

Gregor Demarkian from Jane Haddam's holiday murder series. Great series if you like mystery.

Gotta add Encyclopedia Brown to 'keep it real.' :)

BoatDrinks 04-30-01 12:28 PM

Originally posted by tictacboy
I've never read Lee Child, but what you said about Jack Reacher peaked my curiousity. What do you mean "he's not really an investigator per say." ? Or is it something where I would have to read one of the books to find out what you mean?
-Steve

Tictacboy,
Check out KILLING FLOOR by Child.

Here it is at Amazon, but MODS, can you make this a DVDTalk link, please? :)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...123447/dvdtalk

Reacher is this former military guy who is just happens to always find trouble, and then has to figure out "what really happened." He's very smart, and without a doubt, the toughest SOB I've read in a long time.

[Edited by gkleinman on 05-01-01 at 12:06 PM]

pelenor 04-30-01 04:06 PM

Wow. No one mentioned Boston's best, Spenser, by Robert Parker. Great reads!

junkie 04-30-01 06:23 PM

Henry Chinaski in Pulp by Charles Bukowski

Pmartyn 05-04-01 11:38 AM

Cole & Pike / Reacher

Originally posted by Zoomer

I'm reading my first Jack Reacher book, Die Trying right now. So far, it's very good.

Why has no one mentioned Elvis Cole and Joe Pike from Robert Crais' novels or Archy McNally from Lawrence Sanders?

Cole & Pike - superb choices.
Obviously (or not) Spenser & Hawk. - previously mentioned.
Harry Bosch used to be brilliant but I think he's taken a downturn since Angels Flight.
And let's throw in Stephanie Plum out of Janet Evanovichs series.

Pointyskull 05-04-01 12:34 PM

how about Andrew Vachss's anti-hero Burke?
Dark, dark, dark hard-boiled stuff.

JAA 05-04-01 01:06 PM

Lucas Davenport (MR. PREY)

tsohg 05-04-01 07:25 PM

Alex Cross is THE Man. :D

BoatDrinks 05-04-01 08:13 PM

Re: Cole & Pike / Reacher

Originally posted by Pmartyn
Harry Bosch used to be brilliant but I think he's taken a downturn since Angels Flight.
Actually, there hasn't been a Bosch novel since Angel's Flight.

Bosch was in "Darkness...," but that was a Terry McCaleb novel.

Rayman 05-05-01 12:11 AM

Alex Cross is great. Whats her butt Scarpeta is good. Although, Scarpeta is a little too good. Can she possibly be more un-real than she is? Lets tone her down a bit.

I like the Kinsey Millhone series. She is a "lite" read. I wish she was a bit more tougher. I have been reading her series since A is for Alibi.

rayman

darkside 05-05-01 06:24 AM

Re: Re: Cole & Pike / Reacher

Originally posted by Pmartyn
Actually, there hasn't been a Bosch novel since Angel's Flight.

Bosch was in "Darkness...," but that was a Terry McCaleb novel.

That was a heck of book though. I loved A Darkness More than Night.

dek 05-05-01 11:04 AM

Originally posted by 12thmonkey

how about Andrew Vachss's anti-hero Burke?
Dark, dark, dark hard-boiled stuff.

Amen, Burke is the baddest of the bad. Vachss pulls no punches and all of his books are great. I nominated 2 of his books, Born Bad and Hard Candy, for the May book club but no one seemed interested.

With people saying this :

"Burke would eat Spade and Marlowe for breakfast, not even spitting out the bones. [He] is one tough, mean, pray-god-you-don't-meet-him...hombre." -- Boston Herald

Burke is my obvious choice :D

BoatDrinks 02-13-03 04:01 PM

Detective/Mystery series investigators - who's the best?

I don't think there's a character around better for a battle than Lee Child's Jack Reacher, but what about the best all-around investigator?

If you had a crime that absolutely HAD to be solved, who would you want on the case?

Bosch?
Davenport?
Scarpetta?
Archer?
Cross?
twikoff?

Of all the series investigators, who do you think is the best?

:)