Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time, Book 10) By Robert Jordan [review/discussion]

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time, Book 10) By Robert Jordan [review/discussion]

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-03, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time, Book 10) By Robert Jordan

Summary: Wait for the paperback if you're a fan of the series.

I just finished this book today and was disappointed by it. It's 680 pages and while that might seem a lot most books, CoT seems to be the shortest WoT book and really suffers for it. Actually, that 680 number is a little deceiving as the prologue is 94 pages, I kid you not! So there's only 586 pages of meaningful storytelling.

Okay, the heart of the matter is that this book sucks as a hardback investment. It's been over two years since his previous book was released and I was eager to read the next one. I'm done with it and am pissed because there is absolutely no conflict in the book, not even a sense of accomplishment!

SPOILER WARNING

Here's what happens
Spoiler:
Mat: He's my favorite character of the series and it wouldn't bother me at all if they'd kill off all the other characters and just over him. I liked reading his part in CoT the best so please don't be discouraged when I summarize what happens in his part of the story.
He leaves the Ebou Dar by traveling with the circus and getting to know Tuon, the DotNM, during the trip. That's it. No getting caught by Seanchen, fighting the gholem, or getting back to the Band of the Red Hand. Not even any gambling. But it's still good reading for Mat fans, especially his nickname. The only thing that I hated was how a minor memorable character was casually killed off in a few paragraphs.

Perrin: He's probably my next favorite character after Mat just because of the interesting things that happen to him.
He catches up with the Shaido who have Faile after a month, but can't do anything about it because there's too many damn Aiel. That's it. Oh, and he finds a town where people see dead people.

Elayne and Aviendha: Elayne's on the campaign trail trying to get support for her claim the the Lion throne and we get to meet a few of them. Oh, and we get to learn how saidar affects pregnant women. BFD!

Egwene: She's the character that irritates me the most. From simple farm girl to the Amrylin of the rebel Aes Sedai who's outsmarting the rest of the rebel Aes Sedai who try to control her.
Yeah, very realistic. The same could be said of Rand of course, but Rand at least got training and help from Morraine before she disappeared. Plus he's the Dragon Reborn and can channel, so by very nature he's intimidating to others.
Egwene's laying seige the the White Tower by closing off ground access to Tar Valon. She's having Aes Sedai make cuuldadar and Traveling to coastal cities to sell it to support Gareth Bryne's army. Oh, and she hopes the price of it doesn't drop because she's flooding the market for it. Let's see, she doesn't want to use Gareth's army to take the tower. I guess the only important thing she does is decide to send an embassy to Black Tower.

Rand: He's in hiding on the advice of Cadsuane. That's about it. I think there was one paragraph that mentioned that the Taint was gone, but absolutely nothing talking about how this change would affect the men who can channel's attitude nor Aes Sedai. Rand's section of the book was maybe 50 pages and most of that was taken by Cadsuane. Nothing accomplished here.

Elaida gets a few pages, while Alvarin, the Black Ajah who is the Keeper for her gets maybe 20.

And that's it for the book. CoT seems like a filler and a bad one at that. Only Mat's part is interesting but it's still not worth buying the book.[s/poiler]

Old 01-13-03, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Simply amazing... I quit around the 7th book... I'll read them all in paperback once the series is completely finished-- if any of us are still alive then...

Jordan can take more words to accomplish nothing than nearly any writer in history.
Old 01-13-03, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm doing something I never thought I would do. I've officially shelved the Wheel of Time. I bought CoT the day it came out, but every time I walk by it, I get tired just looking at it. Far gone is the excitement of reading each new installment. Really far gone are the late night conversations with friends discussing what we thought would happen and various theories surrounding the series' admittedly deep world and alluring mysteries. After Crown of Swords, the most prevalent theory now is that Jordan will not be able to finish the series.

I have not read CoT, and I will not until the series is complete. From nearly every review I've read, nothing happens in this book, other than the usual overdeveloped character traits repeated ad nauseum. Tug that braid all you want Nynaeve. Curse your blood and bloody ashes, Mat, while you simmer at something the females did to you. Fret over how to deal with the women, Rand, and don't bother actually preparing anyone for the Last Battle. You've all been doing the same things for the last three books, and light, how well you do them. I leave these once beloved characters to the now questionable ability of their Creator.

I'm off to read Storm of Swords.

stoolie
Old 01-13-03, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So, the consesus is to wait for paperback? I haven't bought it yet and since money is tight, I'm not sure I want to risk it... books 7 and 8 were BS but book 9 was very good imo, which of those does this one come close too?
Old 01-13-03, 08:46 PM

Wait for the hardcover to reach the bargain section of B&N or Waldenbooks. There's no doubt that they'll show up there eventually.

Oh, and here's a major spoiler about the Chosen's background.
Spoiler:
They're British. Before the world was destroyed, they used 'lifts' that apparently took them up and down buildings instead of having to climb stairs. I always knew the Brits were the source of all evil
Old 01-17-03, 06:18 AM

I agree with most of the previous statements posted. I started both the Wheel of Time & the Sword of Truth series back in college. Gave up on WOT's after book 8. Got tired of books that left you where u started after hundreds of pages. I purchased book 9, but have never even read it. I might read them when he's finally done with the series.
Old 02-17-03, 04:40 PM

The Books are a lot shorter now

If anyone is interested, take a look at the font size between this book and one of the earlier ones. It's a huge increase. THe earlier books had about 50 plus chapters. The new one has around 30 chapters, in about the same number of pages.

Jordan has either completely lost his way, or he doesn't care. Check out the 400 - 600 customer reviews at Amazon to get a good idea for how this book was recieved.
Old 02-20-03, 02:07 AM

Ha Ha, Stoolie, your post was hilarious!! I too used to have many a strange conversation regarding Jordan, but alas, no more. Hell, I even played thru "The Wheel Of Time" PC game and now I'm rewarded with this crap of a book.

At this point I kinda feel that I am in a long-term relationship that is just getting worse. Sweet Pete, I've been reading this series for 11 Years! And yet I will still buy the books in hopes that the magic can be rekindled. Oh, and I'm off to read Storm of Swords; Thank you George RR Martin for getting it right.
Old 02-24-03, 06:00 AM

your predictions

How many books do you reckon it'll be? I say 14.