Stephen King Books; Where to begin?

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Stephen King Books; Where to begin?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-03, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love the short story collections. They tend to be more impactful and jarring. They are the ones I spent the most time thinking about after reading. Skeleton Crew has some great ones in it. Others include: Different Seasons, Bachman Books, 4 past Midnight and Night Shift

The Dark Tower is a great series as well as Eyes of the Dragon.. Both are not "typical" King stories, but still some of his best in my opinion.

The Stand is a classic and a must read for Kings fans and so is "IT". I also highly recommend Salem's Lot, Tommy Knockers, The Dark Half and The Green Mile.
Old 01-28-03, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the first King I read was the novella "The Mist" in Skeleton Crew. I loved it, and it's still one of my favorites. That wouldn't be a bad place to start. Also, all the novellas in Different Seasons were really great. My favorite is "Apt Pupil", but they're all worth reading.
Old 02-04-03, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by Josh-da-man
When in doubt, go with publication order.

That's my preferred way of getting into authors with large bodies of work.

Even if the books go in a chronological order that doesn't match the release order (think Star Wars) I still find it best to watch the stories develop naturally, as well as watch the author hone his or her particular style.

King's best work is his earliest.

Carrie
'Salem's Lot
The Shining
The Stand
Night Shift
The Dead Zone
I'd agree with that.

My favorite, btw, is either the Shining or Talisman. All those early ones he lists above are good though (actually, I'm not as fond of Night Shift, since I prefer novels to short stories in general).
Old 02-11-03, 01:14 PM
Banned

I think hes highly overrated. Ive tried twice to get into his books and they are drawn out and ramble on.
Try Koontz instead.
Old 02-11-03, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
When in doubt, go with publication order.

That's my preferred way of getting into authors with large bodies of work.

Even if the books go in a chronological order that doesn't match the release order (think Star Wars) I still find it best to watch the stories develop naturally, as well as watch the author hone his or her particular style.
I wholeheartedly agree. The preferred order is definitely publication order. That's the only was to catch all of the nuances of his interconnected worlds and the intertwining of many stories and novels. The Dark Tower series is much better appreciated when you're aware of the references to (and in) his other books. I've read all of King except his most recent work (which I have but haven't gotten to because of huge backlogged reading list). I would recommend it all but also agree that some of the earliest writings are the most consistently strongest of the bunch. The graphic novel of Creepshow is probably one of the shortest reads.