Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

The Stand - book vs movie

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-11, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Re: The Stand - book vs movie

Darabont... also Fincher... Aranofsky...

There was a time, back in the late 70s and early 80s, when King's movies were directed by cats like De Palma, Kubrick, and Cronenberg. Hell, even Carpenter did Christine.

Then his adaptions moved to cheap-looking miniseries and direct-to-video/cable crud, with the exception of Darabont-helmerd projects.

I know that King was displeased with Kubrick's Shining; is it possible that he gained enough to pull to keep auteur directors away from his adaptions?

I'd love to see what David Lynch would do with a King story.
Old 02-09-11, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
Mick Garris is the absolute worst director - I never liked a single thing the man ever did. Why King likes him is beyond me.
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I know that King was displeased with Kubrick's Shining; is it possible that he gained enough to pull to keep auteur directors away from his adaptions?
Auteurs - heck, any director with talent and vision - have their own voice and will add their own spin to an adaptation. This pisses off King and a lot of his fans. Garris, on the other hand, hews pretty close to the source material and his lack of substance and style is seen as a feature and not a bug.

I never understood this point of view. If the movie needs to be exactly the same as the book, why bother? You're better off just reading the damn book.
Old 02-09-11, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Preterite
I never understood this point of view. If the movie needs to be exactly the same as the book, why bother? You're better off just reading the damn book.
Amen! I've gotten into this argument with other readers. Apparently, many think it's an absolute travesty when a film or television adaptation isn't perfectly faithful to the source book. And I just don't get it. Different mediums need different approaches. Sure, there are some shorter books that are written in a very cinematic fashion that don't need much changing - but those are exceptions, not the rule. And even then, any filmmaker worth a damn will want to bring something new to the project.
Old 02-09-11, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

What I find odd is that... I'm using "The Shining" as an example here...

Kubrick's movie is fucking terrifying. Even when nothing is happening there's this palpable sense of isolation and dread that permeates the whole thing. Jack Nicholson gives you the willies whenever he's onscreen, Shelley Duvall always looks like she's at the end of her hope, and even the little kid is like that one creepy kid on the playground that nobody wants to hand out with.

Then, you look at the King-approved miniseries, and it's this overlong, bloated, plodding, monstrosity that is more mundane than scary. It looks and feels more like a daytime soap opera than a horror movie. And it has that guy from Wings in the Jack Nicholson role.

Is this really how King sees his novels in his own head?
Old 02-11-11, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
What I find odd is that... I'm using "The Shining" as an example here...

Kubrick's movie is fucking terrifying. Even when nothing is happening there's this palpable sense of isolation and dread that permeates the whole thing. Jack Nicholson gives you the willies whenever he's onscreen, Shelley Duvall always looks like she's at the end of her hope, and even the little kid is like that one creepy kid on the playground that nobody wants to hand out with.

Then, you look at the King-approved miniseries, and it's this overlong, bloated, plodding, monstrosity that is more mundane than scary. It looks and feels more like a daytime soap opera than a horror movie. And it has that guy from Wings in the Jack Nicholson role.

Is this really how King sees his novels in his own head?
King pictured Ron Howard as Jack when writing the book. Clint Eastwood as Stu Redman.
Old 02-11-11, 06:39 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
King pictured Ron Howard as Jack when writing the book. Clint Eastwood as Stu Redman.
Interesting . . . I would have imagined Clint Eastwood as his creative image for Roland Tower.