Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Mystery/Suspense/Thriller Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-02, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mystery/Suspense/Thriller Discussion

Hello all, judging from the responses in the "What are you reading?" thread, it does seem that there is a fairly strong presence here of folks who enjoy reading Mystery/Suspense/Thriller fiction. Based on that, I figured I'd start this thread as a place for us to discuss the authors and books of the genre. I realize this thread is a mix of two separate genres (Mystery, and Suspense/Thrillers) but I thought they were close enough to be grouped together. So what are your favorite authors and/or books? Is there a particular sub-genre (hardboiled detective fiction, historical mysteries, cozies, techno-thrillers, legal thrillers, spy thrillers, etc.) that you prefer more than others?

I'll start things off by listing some of my favorite authors (though more than one of them are sliding down my favorites list):
Michael Connelly
Stephen Hunter (Swagger series)
Dennis Lehane (Patrick/Angie series)
Robert Crais (Elvis Cole series)
Harlan Coben (Myron Bolitar series)
Keith Ablow
James Patterson (Alex Cross series (though he is very close to falling off my Hardcover "buy list"))
Joe R. Lansdale (though I've only read one of the Hap Collins/Leonard Pine series, his book - The Bottoms - was terrific, can't wait for the next stand alone coming in Jan.)

Other authors I've enjoyed (though I've fallen behind in reading their works):
Thomas H. Cook (Breakheart Hill was terrific)
Stephen Frey
James Lee Burke (Billy Bob Holland series, haven't tried the Robicheaux series yet)
Lee Child (I really need to catch up on his Jack Reacher series)
John Connolly
Nelson DeMille
Robert Parker (only the Jesse Stone series for me)
T. Jefferson Parker (really liked Where Serpents Lie)
Jeffery Deaver
Steve Hamilton
Greg Iles
Robert Randisi
Max Allan Collins (Nate Heller series)
David Wiltse
Les Roberts
Craig Holden
John Sandford

Authors I'm eager to try (if I could find the time):
George Pelecanos (nice plug for him in Connelly's newest book)
Lawrence Block (Scudder series)
Don Winslow
Mo Hayder
William Kent Krueger
Keith Snyder
G.M. Ford
Stuart Kaminsky
Richard Barre
Bill Fitzhugh
Jerome Doolittle
Daniel Woodrell
Ross MacDonald

There are certainly more in addition to the above but that's all I could think of for now.

Anyone whose work I should read ahead of the others (sometimes, with so many choices, it's tough to decide on what to read next)?

What do you folks enjoy (any particular sub-genre, maybe I'll get some good ideas)? And finally I hope this thread is of interest as a general catch-all for all things related to the Mystery/Suspense/Thriller genre.

Last edited by flixtime; 12-05-02 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-05-02, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Patricia Cornwell's work was exceptional for a while, but I have not bothered to purchase her last 2 books. I was hooked on her Kay Scarpetta character for 4 or 5 books, but for some reason, I lost interest.

I highly recommend her older stuff though.
Old 12-06-02, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Mystery/Suspense/Thriller Discussion

[QUOTE]Originally posted by flixtime
[B]Joe R. Lansdale (though I've only read one of the Hap Collins/Leonard Pine series, his book - The Bottoms - was terrific, can't wait for the next stand alone coming in Jan.)

James Lee Burke (Billy Bob Holland series, haven't tried the Robicheaux series yet)

Joe Lansdale is one damn underappreciated author. I wish he sold as well as King, or, Koontz.

Cold In July is a great book, as is all of his work actually.

In one sentence he can send shivers up your spine, and the next make you laugh out loud.

Highly recommended.

And you have definitely got to read James Lee Burke's Robicheaux stuff. That man is an amazing writer. Jolie Blon's Bounce( the latest in the series) is absolutely superb.

Highly recommended.

May I suggest John Connolly's Charlie Parker series, Every Dead Thing, The Killing Kind, Dark Hollow, and The White Road. Connolly can write gruesome stuff, there's plenty of suspense. Very hard boiled novels. Actually sort of a combination noir/horror.

Also highly recommend Jack Ketchum, Michael Slade, John D MacDonald, Ed McBain, Stephen Hunter, and Lawrence Block(scudder)
Old 12-06-02, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hi Alien Redrum (nice to talk to you again) and smokedragon, thanks for your comments and suggestions.

I think part of the reason I have yet to try Cornwell, Burke's Robicheaux series, or Block's Scudder series is that there are so many books in the series. I'm sort of quirky in that I like to read entire series so I'd have ALOT of reading to do in order to catch up with their work (all 3 have over 10 books in the series if I recall correctly). I think that's part of the reason I went with Burke's Billy Bob Holland series instead since it is relatively new, and it would allow me to sample his work; I liked it (I also did the same with Robert Parker, opting for the new Jesse Stone series over the Spenser series). I've heard that Block's When the Sacred Ginmill Closes is a not to be missed classic of the genre, but before reading it I'd like to read the prior books in the series (about 3-4 if I'm right). Reading is a fairly new hobby for me (last 7 years or so), so given the choice I've been leaning towards up and coming writers versus going back to catch some of the better known (long established) authors.

Alien Redrum, I finished Connelly's Chasing the Dime just the other day. I enjoyed it; it was a very fast read. I liked the references to
Spoiler:
the Dollmaker case, the use once again of the lawyer Janet Langwiser, and the mention of the Bosch painting (it was a nice way to tie it in to the Bosch series). Did you catch Connelly's plug for George Pelecanos' Hell to Pay?

smokedragon, I've read John Connolly's Every Dead Thing. It was excellent (almost like two books for the price of one). I've got Dark Hollow on my shelf, I'll try and get to it sooner rather than later. I've read Stephen Hunter's Swagger series. The "trilogy" of Point of Impact, Dirty White Boys, and Black Light is outstanding. I've even mentioned the books over in the movie talk forum on occasion. I've also read Time to Hunt and Hot Springs.

I stared at my shelf last night for 5 minutes trying to decide what to read next: James Patterson's latest, Thomas H. Cook, George Pelecanos' Right as Rain, Lee Child, Robert Randisi. I finally decided to get a start on William Kent Krueger's "Cork O'Connor" series which is set in Minnesota. There are only 3 so far in the series. I read a bit last night and it's pretty good.
Old 12-06-02, 06:38 PM

Man, I did not catch that plug! I'm surprised I didn't too because I have read a few of George's books and enjoyed them immensly. Plus he's a local DC resident, so it's kind of cool when I know what street or town he is referring to in his books.

Chasing the Dime was very fast read for me as well. And I hate that because I never pace myself and get pissed when I'm done because I have to wait for another Connelly book to come out. I swear that guy gets better and better with each book.

I didn't notice Elmore Leornard on your list. Is that because he's kind of quircky. I love the beat of his books. They have their own unique style that is often imitated, but never duplicated.

Also, you should try out Stuard Woods. I've read two of his books and they were pretty good as well. Orchid Beach stands out, but I was somewhat disappointed in the ending. Too hokey.

I just got turned on to the James Lee Burke Billy Bob series by my dad. I am reading the first of many (Cimarron Rose) and man am I enjoying it.

I just recently read Chosen Prey by John Sandford and really enjoyed that one too. I am going to start with his first book of that particular detective and plow through them after Cimarron Rose. I just won 4 of them for 10 bucks off ebay.
Old 12-07-02, 01:28 AM

Throwing out a question here.....

How are the Sue Grafton books? The [b]A is for Arson[B], B is for Bashing the Brain with a Baseball Bat, etc.

I have seen these books a thousand times, but I have yet to read one.
Old 12-07-02, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts
Originally posted by Alien Redrum
[B]Throwing out a question here.....

How are the Sue Grafton books? The [b]A is for Arson, B is for Bashing the Brain with a Baseball Bat, etc.

I have seen these books a thousand times, but I have yet to read one.
My personal favorites were G if for Give it a Rest, Already, and I is for It's Not Cute Anymore.
Old 12-07-02, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Man, I did not catch that plug! I'm surprised I didn't too because I have read a few of George's books and enjoyed them immensly. Plus he's a local DC resident, so it's kind of cool when I know what street or town he is referring to in his books.
If you still have the book, the plug for Pelecanos' Hell to Pay is on page 289 (first page, first paragraph of Ch. 32)

Chasing the Dime was very fast read for me as well. And I hate that because I never pace myself and get pissed when I'm done because I have to wait for another Connelly book to come out. I swear that guy gets better and better with each book.
I used to feel the same upon finishing a Connelly book (i.e. now I've got a long wait 'till the next one) but as you can see from my initial list, I've found quite a few options to hold me over. I sort of feel that Connelly's earlier books (Black Echo, Black Ice (not as good as the others listed here), Concrete Blonde, Last Coyote, The Poet, Trunk Music) were his best work. But Connelly, even when not at his best, is still far superior to most others.

I didn't notice Elmore Leornard on your list. Is that because he's kind of quircky. I love the beat of his books. They have their own unique style that is often imitated, but never duplicated.
I've never read Elmore Leonard (I don't think that I even have one of his on my shelf to be read). He's one of those established writers that I've never gotten around to reading. What little I know of him for some reason just doesn't grab me enough to read his work. I've never read James Ellroy or Walter Mosely either, but I might prefer them to Leonard, though I'm sure he is a fine writer. I suppose that sometimes I like to go for the lesser known writers(like the one I'm reading now: William Kent Krueger) because to some degree I feel good about helping out the little guy (guys like Leonard, Mosely, etc. don't need my support).

Also, you should try out Stuard Woods. I've read two of his books and they were pretty good as well. Orchid Beach stands out, but I was somewhat disappointed in the ending. Too hokey.
I've read one of Woods' books (don't recall the title). It was pretty good. I've got another one on my shelf waiting to be read. But again he's another one with an extensive catalog of books that I feel would take me too long to wade through.

I just got turned on to the James Lee Burke Billy Bob series by my dad. I am reading the first of many (Cimarron Rose) and man am I enjoying it.

I just recently read Chosen Prey by John Sandford and really enjoyed that one too. I am going to start with his first book of that particular detective and plow through them after Cimarron Rose. I just won 4 of them for 10 bucks off ebay.
Your Dad's a smart man! Have him sign up here at DVDTalk, the more the merrier.
I've read some of Sandford's early Lucas Davenport books. With the way technology has changed so much since he wrote those books, to a small degree you almost have to read them as if you are reading some of the classic writers (Ross MacDonald, Raymond Chandler, etc.), meaning Davenport has this trick about letting a phone ring and if no one answers then it means they're not home and he can break-in. Reading it nowadays, it is a little strange because everyone has answering machines, etc. but when he wrote the books that wasn't the case. So you have to read it as if he is taking you back to another time and not as if you are reading it in the present.

And as a follow-up to Alien Redrum's question about Sue Grafton. Has anyone read Janet Evanovich's series (it the one with the numbers: One is for....., Two is for......, etc.).

Alien Redrum and/or everyone else, has anyone read Dennis Lehane? I'd rank his work with Connelly's. I'd heard a lot of great things about him so I decided to read his first Patrick/Angie book "A Drink Before the War" and found it to be a letdown. It's an average book but not worthy of the praise Lehane was receiving. His second book "Darkness, Take My Hand" sat on my shelf for awhile after that. After reading more great things about him, I decided to give him another shot and Wow! I can't believe it was written by the same guy. It was very good. The rest of the series - Sacred; Gone, Baby, Gone; and Prayers for Rain - is also very good. His most recent is a standalone "Mystic River". It's good but I prefer his Patrick/Angie series (they are PIs in Boston). Clint Eastwood will be directing the movie version of Mystic River. FWIW, Lehane was supposedly a favorite author of former President Clinton.

Any fans here of legal thrillers (Grishan, Turow, North Patterson, Grippando, etc.)? Has anyone read that CIA book "The Company" by Robert Littell? Or how about Clive Cussler, is there a good book with which to start reading him (without going all the way back to the beginning of the series)? How about Nelson Demille, I've read Plum Island and it's follow-up. Which of his earlier books are the best (Word of Honor, Gold Coast, etc.)?

If anyone here has decided to throw in the towel on James Patterson, I'd like to suggest Keith Ablow (3 books so far) or Robert Randisi (Joe Keough detective series, 4 books so far) as possible substitutes for Patterson.
Old 12-08-02, 09:57 AM

Evanovichs books are more humor based than any kind of serious crime solving. They are pretty hilarious, but just don't buy them with the thought you are reading a real whodunit. Like most series it is helpful to start at the beginning.

My favorite author of some of the ones listed is Nelson DeMille, though I don't think his work really qualifies as mystery/suspense. There are certainly those elements but it is also as much adventure as anything. I think his best works were Gold Coast and Plum Island.

I've finished reading Pattersons Four Blind Mice, and it is closer to his earlier work. His last couple books he seemed to be trying to become a horror novelist, so hopefully he is over that now and will return true to past form.

I feel for Flixtime, I usually do the same thing with a new author in that I feel the need to read everything they have done from the beginning. I hate picking up a book in the middle of a series and trying to figure out all the past book references that will get thrown in. I just read my first Harlan Coben book Tell No One, which wasn't part of his Myron Bolitar series and will probably go back and pick up the others. I've also thought about starting up Jonathon Kellermans Alex Delaware series as soon as I clear off my current backlog of unread books. I have alot of credit built up at the used book store so I may have to use it up soon !
Old 12-09-02, 01:14 PM

Any fans here of legal thrillers (Grishan, Turow, North Patterson, Grippando, etc.)?
I've read most of Grisham's work and I have always found it enjoyable fluff. A Time To Kill is his best IMO.

I have Presumed Innocent by Turow on the shelf waiting to be read. I have heard that is a pretty good book.

has anyone read Dennis Lehane?
Mental note.

Nancy Taylor Rosenberg is not bad either. I've read Trial by Fire and picked up Abuse of Power because of the former. Yet to read it though. I have so many damn_books on my shelf and I continue to buy more.

On a side note, do you find Deaver's character Lincoln Rhyme a little unbelievable sometimes. I mean, the books are terrific, but sometimes I forger that the guy has no feeling below his neck. Maybe that's the intention....
Old 12-09-02, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by flixtime

Any fans here of legal thrillers (Grishan, Turow, North Patterson, Grippando, etc.)?
My first book thread post! I used to be an AVID, AVID reader, but have not found the time to pick up a novel in about a year. (What with watching all my DVDs, TV programs, and computer-related what-not!)

However, my genres of choice were legal thrillers, cop procedurals, spies, other suspense novels.

flixtime, would encourage you to give the Scudder books a shot. Really love Lawrence Block, and Scudder is a very interesting protagonist. I also find Block's "humorous" novels dealing with Bernie Rhodenbarr very entertaining. Much like Donald E. Westlake, he can do the very hard-boiled stuff, as well as the lighter, Dortmunder gang-like fare. Speaking of Dortmunder, I really must read "Bad News"!!!!!!!

An author whose works I've particularly enjoyed who doesn't get much notice is Victor O'Reilly. "Games of the Hangman", "Rules of the Hunt" and "The Devil's Footprint" are slam-bang action thrillers/suspense novels. Would make terrific films.

For legal thrillers, I enjoy Steve Martini and J.F. Freedman. Freedman's "Against the Wind" is one of the finer legal novels I've read. Read most of Grisham's until "Runaway Jury", when I really felt a drop in quality as if he were forced to churn them out too fast. Enjoy Turow a lot, too.

For a pure suspense novel, I recommend Michael Weaver's "Impulse". Great, hard-to-put-down stuff!
Old 12-09-02, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Cedar
Evanovichs books are more humor based than any kind of serious crime solving. They are pretty hilarious, but just don't buy them with the thought you are reading a real whodunit. Like most series it is helpful to start at the beginning.
I'm tempted to give her a shot, maybe I'll pick the first one up next time I visit a bookstore. I try to vary my reading (within the mystery/suspense/thriller genre) by mixing in the light, quick-read, humorous stuff alongside the darker, more serious mysteries/suspense/thrillers.

My favorite author of some of the ones listed is Nelson DeMille, though I don't think his work really qualifies as mystery/suspense. There are certainly those elements but it is also as much adventure as anything. I think his best works were Gold Coast and Plum Island.
I've read Plum Island and its follow-up Lion's Game. Though they are both long (500+ pages), I found them to be rather quick reads and enjoyed them both. I've got Gold Coast on my to-be-read shelf so I'm glad to hear you give it a thumbs up.

I've finished reading Pattersons Four Blind Mice, and it is closer to his earlier work. His last couple books he seemed to be trying to become a horror novelist, so hopefully he is over that now and will return true to past form.
Hmmm, maybe I should move Four Blind Mice back up my to-read list (which given what I've been writing here is rather extensive).

I just read my first Harlan Coben book Tell No One, which wasn't part of his Myron Bolitar series and will probably go back and pick up the others.
I enjoyed Tell No One but I sort of miss Myron Bolitar and company (a few of my favorite authors - Coben, Crais, and Lehane - seem to be taking a break from their series characters and writing standalones; the standalones are good but I prefer the series characters). The first two (Deal Breaker and Dropshot) in the Bolitar series are pretty decent, however the mystery portion does take a backseat to the character development. The books suffer very slightly from some "leaps in logic" in getting the crime solved. But I enjoyed wise-cracking Bolitar and the other characters so much that it didn't really bother me. The mystery portion gets stronger with his third book - Fade Away. Myron Bolitar is very similar to the main character from Tell No One (that was a minor fault I found with Tell No One, in that the main character - especially in the first half of the book - was too much like Myron Bolitar). My enjoyment of Coben books lead me to read Robert Crais' Elvis Cole series which is basically the West Coast version of what Coben does. Coben, Crais, James Patterson, and Keith Ablow are cheif among my quick-read authors. And of course both series are somewhat of a copy (though with more humor) of Robert Parker's Spenser/Hawk tandem.

I have so many damn_books on my shelf and I continue to buy more.
As you might have guessed, you are not alone. Count me among the guilty.

On a side note, do you find Deaver's character Lincoln Rhyme a little unbelievable sometimes. I mean, the books are terrific, but sometimes I forger that the guy has no feeling below his neck. Maybe that's the intention....
I've only read the first Rhyme novel - The Bone Collector - and that was some time ago before the movie came out. I'm eager to read the second one though I've heard the series takes a bit of a dip in the more recent books. I did read a standalone of his - A Maiden's Grave - which I enjoyed a lot. I heard that they made a movie version of it (starring James Garner); I haven't seen the film; I think it was called Dead Silence.
Also, you mentioned Turow and Grisham. I might have read more of Grisham but they seem to make a movie out of every book he writes so I usually pass on him. I saw the film Presumed Innocent long before I was even aware it was based on a book so in a similar fashion I've tended to bypass Turow as well (even though not all his books are made into films).

Originally posted by rkndkn
My first book thread post! I used to be an AVID, AVID reader, but have not found the time to pick up a novel in about a year. (What with watching all my DVDs, TV programs, and computer-related what-not!)
Reading as a hobby for me was kicked off by my having a long mass-transit commute to work (that was some years ago, not any longer). I got bored just sitting there so I took up reading to pass the time. In those days and for a couple of years after I used to read a book a week. Due to many factors (movie-watching, posting long-winded responses on DVDTalk, and others), I don't maintain nearly that pace nowadays, though I wish I could. I've thought about speed-reading the books I read but I just don't seem to enjoy reading that way (it feels more like a job instead of something I do for pleasure). I know people who speed-read and while it is not for me, I do sometimes envy the number of books they get to read.

Originally posted by rkndkn
flixtime, would encourage you to give the Scudder books a shot. Really love Lawrence Block, and Scudder is a very interesting protagonist. I also find Block's "humorous" novels dealing with Bernie Rhodenbarr very entertaining. Much like Donald E. Westlake, he can do the very hard-boiled stuff, as well as the lighter, Dortmunder gang-like fare. Speaking of Dortmunder, I really must read "Bad News"!!!!!!!
I've got the first three Scudder books on-hand; I'll try and give him a shot sooner rather than later. I've read the first few Rhodenbarr books (found inexpensive hardcover remaindered copies) and enjoyed them but I later opted for guys like Coben and Crais over my continuing with the Rhodenbarr series. I've never read Westlake but I've got "The Ax" on my shelf (perhaps I should clarify with "shelves")
If you enjoy legal thrillers, I've heard very good things about D.W. Buffa (though I haven't read his books yet, nor do I have one waiting to be read.......yet). I think he has written 3-4 legal thrillers.

And finally, maybe starting this thread wasn't such a good idea as I seem to have succeeded only in compounding my existing problem . Seriously though, thanks guys for all your input and recommendations. I'm enjoying reading all your comments. I really wish I had that stopwatch from the Burgess Meredith Twilight Zone episode (the one where he is wishing for more time to read), maybe then I'd get my chance to make a dent in my to-be-read list (I don't wear glasses so that won't be an issue for me as it was for him).
Old 12-09-02, 09:34 PM

I like Deaver quite a bit Flixtime, Blue Nowhere is a good stand alone title, and I've enjoyed most of his Rhyme novels. Expect at least three plot twists with every Deaver book though, which is a bit of a pet peeve of mine.Certain authors feel they HAVE to have major plot twists in every book, and I would much rather be surprised by a plot twist than to be looking/expecting/waiting for it to happen.

I also really enjoy Robert K Tannenbaums books as well for legal thrillers. The first book is slow due to getting to know the characters, but after that it is just fine.
Old 12-10-02, 02:22 PM

I've never read Westlake but I've got "The Ax" on my shelf (perhaps I should clarify with "shelves")
I've easily read the most books by Westlake than any other author -- probably over 40. He's very versatile, and "The Ax" is not really indicative of his novels. He has also written under the names "Richard Stark" and "Tucker Coe". His Stark books are great, hard-boiled, gritty novels -- they've been made into films, including "Point Blank" with Lee Marvin as the anti-hero. The Dortmunder novels I mentioned earlier are fun rides -- an inept gang of thieves, basically. They've made films of them, too, like "The Hot Rock" with Robert Redford and "Bank Shot" with George C. Scott.
Old 12-10-02, 02:24 PM

And finally, maybe starting this thread wasn't such a good idea as I seem to have succeeded only in compounding my existing problem .
I know what you mean -- I have a hankering to get engrossed in a really good novel! I used to ride the bus a lot, which gave me time to read. Or even read at work if I was caught up on my work, but that is taboo now.
Old 12-10-02, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by Cedar
I like Deaver quite a bit Flixtime, Blue Nowhere is a good stand alone title, and I've enjoyed most of his Rhyme novels. Expect at least three plot twists with every Deaver book though, which is a bit of a pet peeve of mine.Certain authors feel they HAVE to have major plot twists in every book, and I would much rather be surprised by a plot twist than to be looking/expecting/waiting for it to happen.

I also really enjoy Robert K Tannenbaums books as well for legal thrillers. The first book is slow due to getting to know the characters, but after that it is just fine.
Blue Nowhere was a pretty good book. For the most part, the PC stuff wasn't too out there.

Oddly enough, I enjoy the plot twists in Deaver's books. Keeps me on my toes. On the other hand, he doesn't have to use them in every book.

I did read a standalone of his - A Maiden's Grave - which I enjoyed a lot. I heard that they made a movie version of it (starring James Garner); I haven't seen the film; I think it was called Dead Silence.
I really enjoyed A Maiden's Grave. I loved the way he came up with the title (what A Maiden's Grave really meant).

I did not know there was a movie about it. Looks like I will be stopping at my local Blockbuster tonight to check it out (and then come back and post a complaint on how much it sucked compared to the book ).

And finally, maybe starting this thread wasn't such a good idea as I seem to have succeeded only in compounding my existing problem .
Right! I'm half tempted not to come back in here because it's going to hurt my wallet and my bookshelves even more then the christmas season is.
Old 12-13-02, 03:00 PM

Any Stuart Woods fans?

I just started Worst Fears Realized and I'm getting into it.

I've read his Dead in the Water and it was pretty enjoyable.
Old 12-13-02, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I, of course, love my buddy Michael Connelly.
I believe his last couple of books prior to City of Bones were not up to snuff, but he has since gotten a new editor and I think he's back on track.

BTW: Mike was just elected President of the Mystery Writers of America.

I read Every Dead Thing by John Connolly and thought it was really weak. I do not think he understands writing. He might have a decent story, even a compelling one, but imo, he doesn't know how to write very well.

James Patterson is dead to me. This guy is such a sellout and by that I mean that he seems only interested in the marketing of his books over the past few years. I think he has been phoning it in ever since Pop Goes the Weasel.

I love the Lee Child Reacher series. Lots of fun.

As others have said I highly recommend Lawrence Block. Not only the Scudder series but his HIT series is great. I wish there were more.

James Lee Burke - genius. I love his DR series, though I felt that his last book missed the mark.

Ridley Pearson is a name that hasn't been mentioned. He has a detective series set in Seattle with the same ensemble. Some are quite good, imo.

Ed McBain is the king of the procedural. His 87th precinct series is wonderful and on what, like the 40th book now?

Scott Turow is a MUCH better writer than John Grisham, but I will admit that I find JG's books more entertaining.

As for Lehane, Mystic River blew me away.

I would also like to mention a couple of new authors who any fan of this genre should check out:

David Corbett's debut novel "The Devil's Redhead" is terrific. I'm trying to option the film rights as I write this.

Also Jan Burke author of the Irene Kelly series - check out "Bones". Jan is not a new author at all, but she's not that well known and imho her stuff is as good as anyone on this list.
Old 12-13-02, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Mystery/Suspense/Thriller Discussion

Keith Ablow
My boss is writing a pilot for CBS with this guy.
Old 12-18-02, 07:00 PM

I almost forgot, as far as legal thrillers, I've really enjoyed William Bernhardt's Justice books. The character Ben Kincaid and the rest of the staff in the book make for enjoyable times.

Another to Bones. I tore threw that back in a couple days.

And gee Boatdrinks, you were a Connelly fan, who would have thought?
Old 12-23-02, 08:24 AM

John D. McDonald ?

I read Every Dead Thing by John Connolly and thought it was really weak.
I second that
James Patterson is dead to me.
Ditto. But, to add some good names to the list. Has anyone mentioned the Travis McGee series by John D. McDonald? Furthermore, what about John Katzenbach - prior to 'Hart's War', that is. I think 'The Shadow Man' was excellent.
Old 01-14-03, 04:47 PM

Just finished Winter Prey and I am about half way through Mind Prey. I am becoming quite a Lucas Davenport fan.

So what do you guys prefer? Do you prefer reading numerous books of the same detective (i.e. Cross, Davenport, Reacher, Bosch), or do you prefer the author mix it up and use different detectives in each book?

I personally prefer the author stick with one detective and let said detective grow.

Please don't let this thread die.
Old 01-15-03, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

To throw out just a few names:

Lawrence Block - particularly the Matt Scudder series. His latest book (Small Town) is a wonderful, erotic, multiple-viewpoint thriller about the city of New York.

Ross Thomas - probably my favorite writer, every book he wrote was a gem. Thankfully his books are coming back into print!

Michael Connelly - the Bosch books in particular are superb. Dark, moody, and extremely well-written. The new one (Lost Light) is coming out in April.

George Pelecanos - one of the finest writers in the genre. I'm readng his new one (Soul Circus) right now and it's off to a great start.

Thomas Perry - the Jane Whitefield series is terrific. His last book (Dead Aim) was a bit of a disappointment, but everything else is great.

John Sandford - The Lucas Davenport series is very well done and highly recommended.

There are so many more....don't you just love books?
Old 01-15-03, 05:20 PM

I love George Pelecanos's work. I have read 3 or 4 of his novels and I really need to get back into his stuff.

Thanks for the heads up on Connelly's new one! Man, I can't wait for that. Hopefully he'll come down to the DC area again for his publicity tour.
Old 01-15-03, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mike will be doing a reading and signing at the Borders at Bailey's Crossroads on April 4 at 7:30 PM.

Larry Block is going to be there next Wednesday. I'm going to try to make it for that one, too. LB is great in person.

(I'm in Fairfax, by the way.)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.