Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Humanoids Publishing (Metabarons, etc).

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 11-25-02, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good gravy. Just finished the first TP of Metabarons. Absolutely incredible. This is the kind of Scifi epic I love. Awesome artwork, great writing (I assume the translation came through as it was supposed to). Only disappointing thing is that some of the art was censored so they could reach a wider market here in the US (got that off the messageboards at their site). www.humanoidspublishing.com

Definitely inspired by Frank Herbert -- almost too many references to count. Kinda like the Dune Universe -- if you crossed it with the sadism of Goodkind in his first few "Wizards Rule" books and the creature design of Farscape. Very, very good.

I've read a few other books by these guys as well, but never got around to posting about them till now. They've got a sweet line of Oversize Hardcovers (52 pages) for about $14.95. A little pricey, but you can't beat the quality. So far I've picked up "Sanctum" book 1 (of 3), "Ante Genesem" book 1 (of 3 I think), and "The Hunting Party" -- awesome take on Communism in the 20th century. I've also got the 4 issues of "Negative Exposure" - another nifty little story. -- edit -- it looks like NE is being collected as a TPB for January so you may want to hold off till then.

Aiming for some more MetaBarons next and I have another HC -- "The Black Order Brigade" on order, but I have no clue when that'll come in. Looking at picking up "Torinth" book 1 as well sometime and Incal sounds like it may be interesting -- in a Frank Miller/Geoff Darrow Hardboiled kinda way, but none of the individual issues I've glanced through have ever really grabbed me.

Highly recommend checking these out. If nothing else, the MetaBarons TPBs are only $14.95 for 5 issues worth of well drawn, well colored, well written, scifi epic entertainment.

Tuan Jim
Old 11-25-02, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,818 Likes on 1,937 Posts
Yeah, Humanoids does some nice work, but damn, their censorship is irritating.

I have the original French METABARONS albums -- very nice, over-sized. The artwork looks incredible in the larger format. (They are in French, though, so if you can't speak French it's a good idea to have the American versions, too.)

The censorship is particularly maddening. In pretty much all cases of the METABARONS, the nudity isn't that big of a deal. It's far less graphic than anything seen in HEAVY METAL magazine, and it's nothing that DC-Vertigo or Epic wouldn't have published.

It'll be interesting to see what they do when they start reprinting Moebius' INCAL stories. Those had some nudity in them, and damn, it would just be criminal to alter Moebius' artwork. Hell Marvel, under their Epic imprint, published the same material fifteen years ago with the nudity intact.
Old 11-28-02, 09:30 PM

I've read the three published Metabarons tpbs and I love them. Definitly great scifi stories. Both the stories and artwork are just amazing. Out of curiosity, how much of the series is censored? Is it just a little bit of nudity? I can't wait for the fourth tpb to be released in early 2003.

I've wanted to branch out into some of the other Humanoids Publishing books, but I've always been a bit intimidated by the price of the HCs that they have. I'd love to get any info or opinions about some of their original graphic novel content. I've been considering buying the first volume of Technopriest for some time now.

Great to see that others are ready these underappreciated books!
Old 12-04-02, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just picked up Metabarons vol 3 and ordered Vol 4. Can't wait. This is good stuff.

Also Lama, I started by picking up a few of the HC's before I even looked at metabarons. Some good entry books would be the new "Ante Genesem" and "Sanctum" series. Awesome stories and artwork, unfortunately they're each 1 of 3. The next Sanctum is due out in March or so (US translation), dunno about Ante.

There are plenty of one shots out there as well, such as some of Enki Bilal's good stuff -- "The Hunting Party", "Cruise of Lost Souls", "Exterminator 17" and others. They're a little more expensive, but the quality is definitely there -- both in paper/setup and the art/story.

Tuan Jim
Old 12-05-02, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I went through my French METABARONS hardcover albums and the English editions, compared the two, and cataloged the instances of censorship.

Here's the complete list (I only have the first two english TPBs, so I'll only do those, but it should give you a good idea of what's missing.) The page/panel numbers are for the English TPBs. I've noted any changes to the English Editions in italics.

The two English TPBs cover roughly the first four and a half hardcover French albums.

None of the nude scenes have been removed, but instead any nudity has been painted over or otherwise obscured. I've indicated where and how the changes were made, so you may follow along in your own English TPBs.

None of the violence has been removed or altered in any way. I guess it's okay to see a baby get it's head blown off, but it's a no-no for a woman's nipple to make an appearance.

The only sequence I can find that has been removed for the English editions is a short sequence in the first French album that seems to have been edited out for pacing or story purposes, and not censorship of any kind. I also think this sequence will be reprinted in the forthcoming "Alpah and Omega" TPB.

On a side note, I highly recommend the French albums if you love the series. They're over-sized at about 9"x12" and the art looks incredible at the larger size. Pick them up if you can find them and have the cash. Even if you can't read the French dialog, the artwork is still uncensored and looks fantastic at the larger size.

PATH OF THE WARRIOR

Page 52, panel 4. Left woman's breast is partially exposed, right woman's bare buttocks are shown. English Edition - nudity is painted over, by a sheet it looks like

Page 68, panel 4. Woman is nude. Breasts are shown, in addition to hip/crotch area, with the man's hand blocking any lower nudity. EE - a blue sheet is draped over her nude body

Page 69, panel 2. The two women's bare buttocks are shown. EE - clothing is painted over their nude bodies

Page 86-90. White-haired woman is nude, save for the black veil that extends from her face to below her crotch. Only breasts are seen. EE - a white neglige or tunic is painted to cover her nudity

Page 87, panel 6. The two women in the background are fully nude, with nipples shown, but no pubic hair. EE - clothes are painted on

Page 89, panel 1. Veil is removed with breasts seen, in addition to obscured lower frontal nudity.

Page 89, panel 4. Full nude with breasts and obscured frontal nudity from the side. Bald woman's breasts are also seen.

Page 90. All women are nude. EE - dresses and clothing have been painted onto their bodies

Page 91, panel 4. The woman is nude from a distance, with bare breasts and no nipples shown. EE - clothing has been painted onto them

Page 91, panel 6. Full female nudity, with nipples and pubic hair seen from a distance. EE - dress has been painted onto her body and the door has been widened to obscure her lower-front

BLOOD AND STEEL

Pages 44-61. The woman is nude throughout the entire sequence. EE - a dress has been painted onto her body for the duration of her nudity

Page 44, panel 5. Woman's breasts are seen.

Page 44, panel 6. Woman's breasts are seen, as well as a lower-frontal nudity obscured by hands.

Page 45, panels 2 and 4. Woman is fully nude from a distance. Breasts and pubic hair are seen, but no genitalia despite her spread-eagled position.

Page 46, panel 1. Bare breast. EE - clumsily painted over, IMHO

Page 46, panel 2. She's nude, but her pubis is obscured by tentacles. EE - dress has been added

Page 46, panel 6. Full female nudity with pubis obscured by dialog caption. EE -dress has been added

Page 49, panel 1. Creature's bare butt (with tail) and woman's bare breasts are shown. EE - dress added to woman, and "jockstrap" added to creature

Page 54, panel 7. Woman is seen fully nude, but no naughty bits are shown. EE - dress painted on

Page 70, panel 4. Woman is in see-through gown. EE - no changes, belive it or not

Page 71, panels 3 and 5. Bare breasts are shown. EE - extra "tendrils" have been added to cover her breasts

Page 72, panel 1. Bare breasts shown. EE - tunic painted on

Page 73, panel 6. Bare breasts shown as baby breast-feeds. EE - tunic has been painted over the woman's body

Page 76, panel 7. Woman's bare buttocks are seen as her tunic flies up. EE - tunic has been extended to cover her butt

Page 77, panels 2 and 6. EE - diaper has been added to baby.

Page 80, panel 6. Woman is topless. EE - the bottom of her breast under her arm has been painted over

Page 95, panel 2. Bare breasts are seen. EE - bare breasts are obscured by bubbles

Page 115, panels 12 and 13. Bare breasts are seen. EE - torn black tank top has been added

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 12-05-02 at 01:32 AM.
Old 12-05-02, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is this written by the infamous Jodorowsky?

Now I really want to get this...
Old 12-05-02, 04:44 PM

Thanks for the info Tuan Jim. I'll definitly have to check out some of their HC's. It's too bad that there aren't more people checking out the Humanoid Line. They have some amazing stuff out there.
Old 12-06-02, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I was surprised to hear that this is the same Jodorowsky who did "El Topo". He's also done a few more projects recently like "Son of the Gun" and others. Haven't had a chance to read any of the other ones though.

Here's one of the threads from the Humanoids forum -- there're others -- arguing about the censorship.

http://www.humanoids-publishing.com/...ic=8&forum=3&9

edit -- another link with book info and censorship stuff.

http://www.humanoids-publishing.com/...c=7&forum=5&13

Tuan Jim

Last edited by Tuan Jim; 12-06-02 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-27-03, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Since my last post, I've gotten a few more hardcovers:

Exterminator 17 -- Enki Bilal and Dionnet
The Black Order Brigade -- Bilal and Christin
Sanctum #2 -- Dorison and Bec

All these are really great. There's supposed to be a series for Exterminator 17 following the release of the HC but they haven't formally announced anything yet.

Both "The Hunting Party" and "The Black Order Brigade" are really great historically relevant stories -- history of 20th century communism and legacy of the Spanish civil war respectively. Very well done. We need more US comics like these.

I have the first Incal TPB on order with my local store right now, but most of the rest of the HC's will probably be bought through buy.com -- 37% off + free shipping (got BOB and Ex 17 from them). Getting the Nikopol Trilogy (39.95 MSRP) for $25 + change is a pretty sweet deal.

Anyone else read any of these lately? I'll probably check out Deicide pretty soon as well.

Incidentally, the Metabarons Alpha/Omega book is decent, but far too expensive for the price IMO. You basically have two identical stories -- one with art by Jimenez and one version by Moebius (or was the Moebius one a different story?) and a third story that is also very similar -- Charest's art is incredible but the story isn't really that different IMO.

Also, has anyone checked out the new Metal Hurlant mags yet? I'll probably pick one up just to check it out, but I really think I prefer TPBs. Feel free to weigh in on their message boards: http://www.humanoids-publishing.com/...=75&forum=8&19

Last edited by Tuan Jim; 03-27-03 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-28-03, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Metabarons Alpha/Omega was a colossal rip-off.

The content consisted of odds and ends -- a scrap ("deleted scene" if you will), an excerpt, and a preview.

And all wrapped up in a 48-page "prestige" book priced at ten dollars, when the going rate is $5.95. They could've at least doubled the page count and given a lot of extras like interviews, text pieces, sketches and artwork.

I was quite pissed about the book, myself.
Old 03-30-03, 06:30 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jepthah
Is this written by the infamous Jodorowsky?

Hence all the Dune references - as it says in a previous post, too numerous to point out all of them, but the pain-threshold thing that happens early on is an easy one to see.

I've read all the Metabarons trades (love 'em)- I'm waiting for the release of all the Incal stuff so I can read them in a relatively short period of time. Last I heard they were going to be finished in trade (or was it HC) format but I wish they'd hurry up.
Old 03-30-03, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by MrN
Hence all the Dune references - as it says in a previous post, too numerous to point out all of them, but the pain-threshold thing that happens early on is an easy one to see.

I've read all the Metabarons trades (love 'em)- I'm waiting for the release of all the Incal stuff so I can read them in a relatively short period of time. Last I heard they were going to be finished in trade (or was it HC) format but I wish they'd hurry up.
They just released the second Incal TPB. Looks like after this one or the next one, there won't be any new single issues, but all the old stuff -- including Moebius stories -- will just be released in TPB form. Not sure on dates though.
Old 03-30-03, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think the third Incal book, The Epic Conspiracy, (with Moebius art) will come out in July.

Amazon has it listed, with a release date of July 2003.
Old 08-11-03, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Big deals at Humanoids Publishing

For any of you guys wanting to get into some Euro comic HCs, Humanoids has some sweet deals going on right now. Shoulda posted this earlier, but just forgot. I already picked up the Bouncer 1&2 pack and the Technopriests 1&2 pack. I'll probably pick up the Mystery Pack pretty soon too. It's a killer deal with speedy shipping to boot -- especially since you can pay with paypal.

$12 for two $15 books (uncensored) with free shipping -- unbeatable. I also highly recommend the Enki Bilal set -- I haven't read "Memories of Outer Space" but $12 is still cheaper than what "The Hunting Party" (incredible) normally retails for. "Thorinth" is really cool too, but it's a shame that they're not going to translate any further volumes because of poor sales.

http://www.humanoids-publishing.com/news/news.php?id=89

"Warehouse Special Offers

Special Deals on Humanoids albums, only on the Humaniods Website! Not sure about Humanoids books and you need something to sway you? Have a hole in your collection? We'll help you out with albums in 2-packs and 3-packs for over 50% off the cover price directly from Humanoids Publishing.

OVERVIEW

All packages included shipping with the price depending on whether you want the books shipped to a U.S. or non-U.S. address. (When sending your payment, be sure to pick the right one - you don't want to pay too much, and we won't ship your books if it's too little.)

We'll also toss in a comic book (our choice) into your box for even more Humanoids pleasure!

All books are nonreturnable and they are sold as-is (in Very Fine to Mint condition).

THE BOOKS

** Ship any of these three-book packs for US$18.00 (per pack) to a U.S. address or for US$40.00 (per pack) to a non-U.S. address.

!! Jodo Sampler (item #115166291): TechnoPriests 1, White Lama 1, Bouncer 1

!! Science Fiction Super Sampler (item #115283267): TechnoPriests 1, Thorinth: The Fool with No Name, and Memories of Outer Space

** Ship any of these two-book packs for US$12.00 (per pack) to a U.S. address or for US$27.00 (per pack) to a non-U.S. address.

!! Future-History and Fantasy Jodo Sampler (item #115166): TechnoPriests 1 and White Lama 1

!! Future-History and Western Jodo Sampler (item #115275): TechnoPriests 1 and Bouncer 1

!! Western and Fantasy Jodo Sampler (item #275166): Bouncer 1 and White Lama 1

!! White Lama Starter (item #166062):White Lama 1 and 2

!! TechnoPriests Starter (item #115291): TechnoPriests 1 and 2

!! Bouncer Starter (item #275496): Bouncer 1 and 2

!! Bilal Sampler (item #174267): The Hunting Party and Memories of Outer Space

!! Mystery Sampler (item #194305): Book of Jack and Dusk: Poor Tom

!! Science Fiction Sampler (item #364283): The Fourth Power and Thorinth: The Fool with No Name

You can get the other titles in each series from your favorite local or internet comic book shop or bookstore."
Old 08-11-03, 08:38 PM

wow! That's awesome. If only they extended the deal for some of the later volumes, I'd buy whole sets.
Old 08-11-03, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Great find!
Old 08-12-03, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They actually started this in July -- but that was Jodorowsky only. Now they've added several packs. I think they're basically trying to clear out inventory of stuff that hasn't sold as well -- ie. Thorinth. That said, it's all great stuff. Excellent quality, and at that price point (unlike the normal one for some people), you can't say no.
Old 10-02-03, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This deal is still alive and kicking -- looks like they're just wanting to clear out old stock. Just ordered the Mystery Sampler.

Highly recommend the Techno Priests and Bouncer set. I'd also order the Science Fiction sampler, but I already have Thorinth (excellent -- but due to low sales they won't be translating the sequels ).

For the price, you can't beat it anywhere.