Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Have you ever read The Anarchist's Cookbook?

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-02, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember when I was a kid, they had this book called the Anarchist's Cookbook, it had all different kind of recipes for nasty devices and all different kind of stuff.

Does anyone remember this?
Old 10-31-02, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I read online versions of it. I've never see a printed copy though. I've heard that most of the stuff in there is fake though.
Old 10-31-02, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've read it. I also liked "The poor man's James Bond" books.
Old 10-31-02, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I once tried to make a 'tennis ball bomb' when I was a kid by stuffing the cut off heads of light anywhere matches into it. Didn't work.

I'm not much of an anarchist.
Old 10-31-02, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
yes and I was in chemistry at the time in highschool and my limited knowledge made me think most of the stuff in it would result in spontaneous reaction as it was being mixed
Old 10-31-02, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup, back in high school. Downloaded it off a BBS.
Old 10-31-02, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by CharlesC
I once tried to make a 'tennis ball bomb' when I was a kid by stuffing the cut off heads of light anywhere matches into it. Didn't work.
Huh?
Old 10-31-02, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by CharlesC

I'm not much of an anarchist.
Next time, try stuffing them into a used CO2 cartridge. It takes off like a rocket.
Old 10-31-02, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i remember that, cut off the heads of "strike-anywhere" matches and stuff them into a tennis ball. throw tennis ball at wall ---> kaboom!
Old 10-31-02, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

lmao

I remember I took all the gun powder out my fireworks and stuffed into a clay ball hollowed out and stuck a fuse in it. Boy that thing caught on fire, caught my backyard on fire, and the fence. Geeze. The plastic was melting on my fence, then I tried to stomp out the fire and burnt the hair off my legs permantly I still cannot grow hair on my legs.

Except for underneath my socks.
Old 10-31-02, 02:26 PM
Banned

I still have a printed copy.

And most of it's not fake, just impractical or stupid or obvious.
Old 10-31-02, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I owned a printed copy when I was high school. It was cool then, but you'd be surprised at how unprofessional it was. Things were just kind of thrown in there, with no real organization. Things relating to other things might have been 100 pages apart.

A lot of the information was indeed fake, though I did not find this out until much later. Almost all of the "recipes" are fake and potentially dangerous to the person making them. The rest of the information is either outdated, inaccurate, impractical, or otherwise unworkable.
Old 10-31-02, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

on amazon.com:

I have recently been made aware of several websites that focus on The Anarchist Cookbook. As the author of the original publication some 30 plus years ago, it is appropriate for me to comment.
The Anarchist Cookbook was written during 1968 and part of 1969 soon after I graduated from high school. At the time, I was 19 years old and the Vietnam War and the so-called \223counter culture movement\224 were at their height. I was involved in the anti-war movement and attended numerous peace rallies and demonstrations. The book, in many respects, was a misguided product of my adolescent anger at the prospect of being drafted and sent to Vietnam to fight in a war that I did not believe in.

I conducted the research for the manuscript on my own, primarily at the New York City Public Library. Most of the contents were gleaned from Military and Special Forces Manuals. I was not member of any radical group of either a left or right wing persuasion.

I submitted the manuscript directly to a number of publishers without the help or advice of an agent. Ultimately, it was accepted by Lyle Stuart Inc. and was published verbatim \226 without editing \226 in early 1970. Contrary to what is the normal custom, the copyright for the book was taken out in the name of the publisher rather than the author. I did not appreciate the significance of this at the time and would only come to understand it some years later when I requested that the book be taken out of print.

The central idea to the book was that violence is an acceptable means to bring about political change. I no longer agree with this.

Apparently in recent years, The Anarchist Cookbook has seen a number of \221copy cat' type publications, some with remarkably similar titles (Anarchist Cookbook II, IIIetc). I am not familiar with these publications and cannot comment upon them. I can say that the original Anarchist Cookbook has not been revised or updated in any way by me since it was first published.

During the years that followed its publication, I went to university, married, became a father and a teacher of adolescents. These developments had a profound moral and spiritual effect on me. I found that I no longer agreed with what I had written earlier and I was becoming increasingly uncomfortable with the ideas that I had put my name to. In 1976 I became a confirmed Anglican Christian and shortly thereafter I wrote to Lyle Stuart Inc. explaining that I no longer held the views that were expressed in the book and requested that The Anarchist Cookbook be taken out of print. The response from the publisher was that the copyright was in his name and therefore such a decision was his to make \226 not the author's. In the early 1980's, the rights for the book were sold to another publisher. I have had no contact with that publisher (other than to request that the book be taken out of print) and I receive no royalties.

Unfortunately, the book continues to be in print and with the advent of the Internet several websites dealing with it have emerged. I want to state categorically that I am not in agreement with the contents of The Anarchist Cookbook and I would be very pleased (and relieved) to see its publication discontinued. I consider it to be a misguided and potentially dangerous publication which should be taken out of print.

William Powell
Old 11-02-02, 12:32 AM

It's interesting that this is being posted right now. This particular book is mentioned in Michael Moore's Bowling for Columbine. One of the guys he interviews had a copy.
Old 11-04-02, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
If you buy that book, doesn't your name get added to the FBI database.
Old 11-04-02, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by einTier
Things were just kind of thrown in there, with no real organization. Things relating to other things might have been 100 pages apart.
Out of curiousity, what exactly were you expecting from a book for anarchists?
Old 11-09-02, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
All I really remember about that book is that smoking banana peel doesn't really do squat.
Old 11-09-02, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Most people i know in the radical community consider it to be so polluted with wrong recipes and mixtures that would be very dangerous to the users that the book almost comes across as disinformation. Interesting theory in my opinion, have a government body create a "recipe book" for people who might cause the government problems.... if all the recipes end up blowing up in the users face then the book acts like a nifty preventive measure. Who knows though. Either way, yes, i do have it and have read it and several of the recipes are very dangerous and would never work. There are also many other books out there that will get you the information you want (in this vein) that aren't full of disinformation.

ALF Primer for one... and many other books in the "Eco-Warrior" category.