Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Help me come up with an author inscription question.

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-02, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I met Chuck Palahniuk last week. When I got my books signed, he asked what to write and I said, "whatever you want." And he did just that, signing it "Whatever I want. Chuck Palahniuk."

So that gave me an idea. Each time I go to a book signing, I'd like to ask a question or say something that will inspire the author to come up with something witty or funny, or at least original on the spot. I think it'll be cool to always ask/say the same thing, then years later compare the different responses by various authors.

Any ideas? I want something more deep than "write something witty," but not as deep as "what's the meaning of life."

Any ideas would be appreciated. A little brainstorming might help with this one.
Old 10-01-02, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I have a few autographed items (books, DVDs) and most of them have some quote relevant to the particular title. So, I guess it depends on what is being signed.

How about a generic:

-your name-
You have taught me everything I know
- author's name-
Old 10-01-02, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good one 12th...

I get lots of signed stuff that's relevant to the book, but it's usually something the author's write on all the inscriptions, so I'm trying this to get something original.
Old 10-02-02, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

david sedaris is brilliant at this. he talks to everyone who comes up, asks them about themselves or about the person the book is for. i had a couple books signed by him and this is what he did:

book 1--for a co-worker at a bookstore, "is he gay?" i was caught off guard and not being sure myself, i said no i didn't think so. sedaris wrote, "B--everyone thinks your gay" (i was almost scared to give it to him in case he'd get offended but he loved it!)

book 2 and 3--for me, can't remember he's questions but he inscribed them with inside jokes from 2 short stories he had read that night..."to H--from a rusted coinslot" and in his holiday's on ice book he asked if i was looking forward for xmas and he wrote..."h--i hope the 6-8 black men are good to you" (and if anyone's heard this unpublished story, you get the joke obviously but this was absolutely hilarious!)

oh, and this past weekend my b'friend had jonathan safran foer sign his book and when he asked his name, which is hilario
(pronounced 'e-la-di-o') he spelled it out for him. looking confused foer finally said "oh, it's like hilarious but not". his inscription read..."to hilario whose almost hilarious but not quite"

now that i've blabbed i guess it just depends on the writer, i don't think they want you to inspire them directly, only indirectly. which i think is the best way really, it makes for some funny reading.