Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

New Stephanie Plum book(s) [updated]

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

New Stephanie Plum book(s) [updated]

Old 09-12-02, 05:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Stephanie Plum book

I was trawling through amazon, looking for yet another series about a gutsy, witty woman with balls in the detective/horror genres, when I came across adverts for a new Steph Plum book!

Amazing, Janet Evanovich usually writes only one a year and I had my fix in July, but there is another book due out in November called "Visions of Sugar Plums".
Old 09-12-02, 11:12 AM
Registered

Yeah I saw that too. I still have to read Hard Eight (as I bought it in paperback) but Hot Six was good.

Have you ever ready any Laurel K Hamilton, equally addicitve
Old 09-12-02, 11:53 AM

Not sure Hard Eight is a good as Hot Six or Seven UP, although it does move more into Ranger territory, which is good news for me.

I'm a 3 year fan of Anita Blake so "You're preaching to the choir".
Although is it maddening that we won't get "Cerulean Sins" until spring because of a publishing error. aarghh!

Just re-read Narscissus in Chains for about the fifth time, (hi, my name is Kay and I'm an Anita Blake addict).
I love all the twists that book takes, it was so brave of Laurell K Hamilton to brake and re-assemble the triumvirate of her plot IMO.
She took a big chance, in essence replacing one of her main characters, but for me it paid off.

I don't know whether she's going to follow the steamy side of Anita, or take her back to her Zombie raising roots with the new one, but like everyone else, where Anita goes I'll follow.

Oh in case I've whetted your appetite you can read the first chapter of Cerulean Sins from a link on her website. I know I should wait for the whole book, but it's so good just to read something new of her's, even if it is only one chapter.
Old 09-18-02, 11:55 PM
Registered

I think reading the first chapter of Cerulean Sins would be tourcher considering it's not out till spring!

I've read Hamilton's 'new' Meredith Gentry series (the 2 books out so far). I liked it, but didn't LOVE it as much as the Anita Blake series.

If I make my way through the pile of books I have to read I may just go back an re-read Narscissus in Chains (I rarely re-read books, but will make an acception for this series)
Old 09-19-02, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Synopsis for Sugar Plums:

It's Christmas in Jersey and Stephanie Plum has bigger problems than the usual thugs, robbers, thieves, and hoodlums. This time, there's someone in her apartment who just won't leave. Sure, this kind of thing has happened to Stephanie before... but in the past, she has been able to talk her way out of trouble. This time, fast talking, stun guns, and pepper spray won't remove the intruder. Visions of Sugar Plums takes Stephanie Plum on a holiday adventure and introduces a new character that readers will flip for! He's as mysterious as Ranger, as sexy as Morelli, and... well, we won't say any more. Visions of Sugar Plums is a holiday treat that will leave readers begging for more.
Old 09-25-02, 01:48 AM

I will pick this up because I love Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. The $19.95 price seems disappointingly steep for such a short book, and 160 pages (according to Amazon) doesn't seem to leave much space for story development.
Old 09-26-02, 09:55 AM

Just have to hope it's a good plot, or she's written a lot but it's in a very small font.

Anyway it's slightly cheaper for me from amazon.co.uk, but I have to wait until December to get it. grrr
Old 07-14-03, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To The Nines - the new Stephanie Plum novel comes out tomorrow

So who is gonna be buying it asap? I will be waiting for the library to get it processed, but I should have it by the weekend. I wish they would do it like they did Harry Potter so I would have it tomorrow, but I guess I can wait a few more days.
Old 07-15-03, 04:46 AM

Sugar Plums was pretty awful, but Evanovich has redeemed herself to some extent in "to the nines ", although it did feel like the plot was a tad more fantastical than her earlier books.

It's a hard line to tread, being funny without going so far over the top that your characters become ludicrus.

Still a very funny book, but it feels like she's treading water. Unlike Laurell K Hamilton's books where the characters undergo some times extreme changes through their experiences, Stephanie and all her friends & family are all roughly in the same situations they started out with.
Old 07-15-03, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree about Sugar Plums. It was pretty clearly just thrown together to separate more of us from our money. I am sure there is a great deal of pressure from the publishers to capitalize on anything since book sales are continuing to fall overall.

I think it is hard to keep any character series alive and fresh. If you do anything to alter the "formula" the fans will revolt. I definately think it is even more of a challenge for Evanovich due to the extreme personalities of the characters here. Despite all that, I have found all of the full length books fun and worthwhile reads.

I have been meaning to read Hamilton's books, but would like to start at the first book which my library doesn't have. I guess it is time to hit some used bookstores and garage sales.
Old 07-16-03, 07:32 AM

If you do fancy giving Laurell k Hamilton a try, you could easily skip to book 3 "Circus of the Damned". Believe me you won't be missing much from the first two books, because although the the whole series is a continuous arc, the first two books have little bearing on the future storyline and honestly aren't very good .

Book 3 is where she really gets into her style, and where she finds the golden characters, around which she models the rest of the series.
Old 07-16-03, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the heads up on skipping the first two books. I just checked my library and they have a copy of Circus of the Damned on order and I requested it. Hopefully they will get it in soon.