Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

if it's popular, can it be good???

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-02, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if it's popular, can it be good???

today on NPR there was a discussion on how elitists view books on the bestseller lists. they feel that if it's there then it must be fluff. i disagree, however, it made me wonder...which books in the last 10-20 years have been bestsellers yet can also be viewed as literary gems or worthy of becoming classics?

the first book that popped up in my mind is the beautifully poetic Memoirs of a Geisha. what are your thoughts?
Old 08-21-02, 03:44 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
When the first Harry Potter book came out, I bought it on a lark. I thought it was a delightful tale. However, once all the hysteria and media attention the series got broke out I began to have second thoughts. I finally realized that it sucked when they announced the movie deal.
Old 08-21-02, 04:21 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very droll....

.... but I think your humo(u)r is too dry/oblique for some, Groucho!
Old 08-21-02, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A heartbreaking work of staggering genius comes to mind.
Old 08-21-02, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think it could be argued either way - but the works of Stephen King (especially the early 70's stuff) will most likely stand the test of time. And as he's progressed through the years, his writing has become much denser and more complex. His novels were never just a straight-forward plot, where you can pretty much skim the page and skip to the next (like *gag* Koontz). There is definitely some meat there, some deeper symbolism and craftmanlike wordplay that often gets overlooked because King writes "pop" horror novels.
Old 08-21-02, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

These days, it's increasingly true I feel. The quality of popular fiction has really declined heavily. I think that readers' attention spans and comprehension has declined, and not to get into a chicken-and-egg argument, but this has fueled a shift away from books that have a lot of depth and detail.

As an experiment, I went into a chain-mall-type bookstore and picked up each of the top 10 bestsellers from the shelf, reading a few pages of each at the beginning. What I read was more often than not horrifically pedestrian. It read 'professionally,' but there was no feeling beyond the superficial need to keep the pages turning. A new novel like Lolita, Ulysses or even a Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance today would never sell in any appreciable number.
Old 08-22-02, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Proulx's The Shipping News was well-crafted, and it had one of the most bizarre endings i've ever read. Toni Morrison and Gabriel Garcia Marquez's stuff is also up there, but have they published anything lately?
Old 08-22-02, 08:58 AM

today on NPR there was a discussion on how elitists view books on the bestseller lists. they feel that if it's there then it must be fluff.
The word "elitist" is thrown around a great deal on forums like this, and it's usually aimed at people who argue, say, that Godard is a better director than George Lucas. The quote above is one of the few instances I've encountered that, I think, properly uses the term. To have refined tastes and higher standards is not elitist; to claim, in a broad generalization, that the masses are incapable of recognizing and enjoying such quality most certainly is.

I think it's fair to say that most book critics are, first and foremost, lovers of language. They gauge the quality of a book on its formal excellence, its stylistic innovations, and its relevance (does it have something to say). I'll admit that I tend to fall into this camp. I'd much rather read a novel that is formally interesting by an author capable of dazzling me with his or her language than a book with a simple style and a good plot.

Notes of elitism begin to emerge, though, when a particular novel blends those formal and social/political elements with a compelling story, especially when said novel is lucky enough to get the power of a publisher's marketing machine behind it. Suddenly the stodgy book critic is forced to accept that the "common man" might also enjoy that little novel that he had "discovered" months earlier.

The best example I can think of right now is Jonathon Franzen's The Corrections. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I've enjoyed following the news coverage. When the novel was picked by Oprah for her Book Club (thereby guaranteeing tens of thousands of copies sold), Franzen balked, making some unfortunate public comments about his opinion of Oprah and her impact on the publishing industry. Several reviews, written by those same stodgy critics who I so admire, have almost reluctantly admitted that Oprah made a good choice this time, that The Corrections really is a darn good book.

Again, though, I think it's impossible to discuss this issue without considering the "business" of publishing. There have been several amazing novels that have sold well in recent years. Some have succeeded because of awards: Chabon's Kavalier and Clay, DeLillo's Underworld, Roth's American Pastoral. Others have benefitted from film adaptations. Ondaatje's The English Patient is a brilliant and incredibly complex novel that has surely been helped by having Ralph Fiennes's face on its cover. Toni Morrison's Beloved is perhaps the best American novel of the last twenty years, and it has also sold well.
Old 08-22-02, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cold Mountain.

A note on Darren H's post:
IMHO, this is one of the most intelligent and sensible posts I've read on this forum (other "rooms" included) in a long time. It is refreshing.

I will say, though, that The English Patient was not a "best" seller when first published. The printing you speak of is the reissue after the movie which sold incredibly well. This happens quite often. A successful movie (or even a well hyped one) can turn a book with even lackluster sales into a best seller.

I, too, love the story of Oprah and The Corrections. While helping to bring reading back as an activity in this country, I think her book club was a complete joke. How many of the novels had female victims at the center? How many were written by friends of her? I'm glad it's over because it was just so silly by the end. I just wish that Franzen hadn't caved and stood up for what so many of us believe in. But who's to say I wouldn't have done the same thing under such pressure from agents and publishers?
Old 08-22-02, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Darren H said it well.

Let me add that I think the critics have to claim this because they rarely give bestsellers good reviews, and often give rave reviews to stuff that only sells 5,000 copies. The ultimate review (not critique) is probably how well it sells, and for how long.

A crappy movie may make a lot of money but will do so mainly in the first few weeks (Jurassic Park 3 or Planet of the Apes, for example), however a crappy book will never make it anywhere except in a critics column to tell us why we should embrace it.
Old 08-22-02, 05:11 PM
Mod Emeritus

In his own time Dickens wrote for the masses.

His work has been deemed to be of enduring merit.

It still sells today and is studied in school.
Old 08-23-02, 07:57 AM

A crappy movie may make a lot of money but will do so mainly in the first few weeks (Jurassic Park 3 or Planet of the Apes, for example), however a crappy book will never make it anywhere except in a critics column to tell us why we should embrace it.
I can't decide if this analogy works or not. Crappy movies often make buckets of money in their opening weeks despite being lambasted by critics, especially when studios are willing to pump as much as 30% of the film's total cost into the marketing campaign. A certain portion of the population will see every action-packed blockbuster on opening night, regardless of negative buzz.

I'd imagine that the same thing occurs in the publishing industry. I don't mean to step on any toes here, but every new novel by Clancy, Grisham, and Cornwell will sell well despite what reviewers have to say about them.

I guess the one part of your post, krdave, that I would object to is your assumption that those poorly selling novels championed by critics are necessarily "crappy." Pynchon's Mason & Dixon, for instance, was unanimously praised in literary circles, but, because of its style, had no chance of being a bestseller. To continue your film analogy, we might compare it to the films of people like Abbas Kiarostami and Hou Hsiao-Hsien, who are (deservedly) lauded by critics, but who have little chance of ever finding a large audience in America.

re: Cold Mountain. Anyone else looking forward to this film adaptation? After making a wonderful film out of The English Patient (which I thought was unfilmable), I'll go see anything directed by Anthony Minghella.

Last edited by Darren H; 08-23-02 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-23-02, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

twain also garnered quite a popular following. in my original post i was also thinking about the corrections but, i too, haven't had a chance to read it. oh, i almost forgot...all over but the shoutin'...this is a terrific, heartwarming, gracious work and was on the bestseller list for a while.

Last edited by hgar78; 08-23-02 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-23-02, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Darren H

I guess the one part of your post, krdave, that I would object to is your assumption that those poorly selling novels championed by critics are necessarily "crappy." Pynchon's Mason & Dixon, for instance, was unanimously praised in literary circles, but, because of its style, had no chance of being a bestseller. To continue your film analogy, we might compare it to the films of people like Abbas Kiarostami and Hou Hsiao-Hsien, who are (deservedly) lauded by critics, but who have little chance of ever finding a large audience in America.
I agree that they aren't all "crappy", but had a hard time trying to think how to word it.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...well,...not have way, I suppose.
Old 08-26-02, 05:16 PM
Mod Emeritus

I thought I throw into the mix something I quoted in this earlier thread: What makes a book a 'classic'?

Can a great novel also be a bestseller?
ES: Yes, and all seven of the books we are reading have been bestsellers as well as critically successful. For example, we're reading Don DeLillo's "White Noise." DeLillo has written a number of novels, and some of them are more highly regarded by academics and critics than this one. But "White Noise" is the one that I think everybody agrees is his breakout book -- it was the book that first reached a really wide audience and remains the book that is the most popular with general readers. At the same time, it breaks new ground aesthetically and thematically, and influenced many younger writers.

Is it harder to write a classic novel today?
ES: I don't know if it is harder to write a classic novel than it ever was, but I certainly think it's harder for a novelist to get attention. The extraordinary changes in publishing, in marketing and distributing books made the novel's fate much more complicated than it was a century ago. We're actually living in a golden age of fiction, but the novel today has to compete with so many other forms of entertainment for people's time.

Does this mean we are more likely to miss the truly great novel in the flood?
ES: Yes, if we depend only on bestsellers. Bestseller lists are dominated internationally by five or six writers. Those books are like brands -- Nike or the Gap -- because they have a huge amount of publicity and money behind them, and a dependable record for delivering a good read. They're familiar brands and they have a loyal audience. That doesn't mean they're not entertaining. But for a serious novel that is trying to do something new also to reach a mass readership is very, very difficult.

Do those trends disappoint or discourage you as a literary critic?
ES: I think that it's wonderful that there are so many novels being published, and it's wonderful that we have so many choices. Along with that, I think readers need and want more recommendations, advice and guidelines. They're filling that need in a variety of ways, such as by joining book clubs, which are proliferating everywhere. Readers like to talk about what they're reading, but they also want guidance and recommenda-tions they trust about what to read next. I think there is a tremendous need for that kind of opinion, and academic literary critics have an opportunity to speak to a large audience beyond the university. We don't have to leave it all to Oprah Winfrey.
Old 08-27-02, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
The latest critically acclaimed novel to make the best-seller lists is Alice Sebold's The Lovely Bones. I haven't read it, but two friends, one of them a soon to be published author, both loved it. I'll probably wait for the paperback next year as I try not to buy hardcover fiction.

At the same time, I highly doubt the new Umberto Eco novel, Baudolino, will make any bestseller lists. But I don't care, I love his writing. I actually read Foucault's Pendulum, didn't just buy it to look erudite. My pleasure reading tends to bounce back and forth from populist stuff like King, Grisham, Clancy to more literary work like Pynchon and more obscure stuff like Ligotti.
Old 08-28-02, 03:05 AM

Alice Sebold's The Lovely Bones is a truly incredible book. The narrative structure she uses is remarkably well-crafted. I was astonished to see how many copies of it are selling, as usually I find that the bestseller list is always dominated by the likes of Danielle Steel, James Patterson and Tom Clancy. But spiritual books tend to develop a rabid following, (a la Richard Paul Evans' The Christmas Box) so maybe that accounts for some of it.
Still, it's definitely worth reading. As a professional editor, (in newspapers, rather than books) I'm positive that it's destined to become a classic.
Old 05-14-07, 12:40 PM
Mod Emeritus

Nearly five years on, I wonder if anyone now reading in Book Talk has anything to add?
Old 05-14-07, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A great example of a bestselling book that I believe will be considered a classic is the winner of the 2006 Pulitzer prize for fiction, Cormac McCarthy's The Road. However, it only became a bestseller after Oprah made it the latest selection for her book club.
Old 05-14-07, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cold Mountain, the movie, was god-awful.
Old 05-14-07, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Hasn't some of T.C. Boyle's stuff been on best-seller lists?

But I think most "literary" people would say that stuff by Grafton, King, Crichton, Steele, etc. is not that good.
Old 05-15-07, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The notion that simply because people like something it must be of low quality is absurd.

Instead I would ask: If a piece of supposedly great literature (for example), is not popular with readers, what does that say about our conception of literature?
Old 05-15-07, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
When the first Harry Potter book came out, I bought it on a lark. I thought it was a delightful tale. However, once all the hysteria and media attention the series got broke out I began to have second thoughts. I finally realized that it sucked when they announced the movie deal.
I understand the humor, but I actually know people that think like this about books and movies.
Old 05-15-07, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,462 Likes on 930 Posts
I worked in bookstores for several years. The new book by significant authors like John Updike or William Styron always made the bestseller list.

A lot of people in this thread were bagging on Tom Clancy. He made himself a success by sheer storytelling merit. The Hunt for Red October was published in 1985 by Naval Institute Press, a small publisher with almost no money for promotion. He didn't do the author tour. There were no ads in trade magazines for his book next to the ads for Danielle Steel and Stephen King. There was no internet. The sales were generated by people talking face to face: genuine word-of-mouth.
Old 05-15-07, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hgar78
today on NPR there was a discussion on how elitists view books on the bestseller lists. they feel that if it's there then it must be fluff. i disagree, however, it made me wonder...which books in the last 10-20 years have been bestsellers yet can also be viewed as literary gems or worthy of becoming classics?

the first book that popped up in my mind is the beautifully poetic Memoirs of a Geisha. what are your thoughts?

Shannara series by Terry Brooks
Wheel of time Series by Robert Jordan.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.