Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Sum of All Fears: Book vs Movie

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-02, 12:11 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sum of All Fears: Book vs Movie

Please use spoiler tags, when applicable, as I am sure many people have not seen or read it. I haven't seen the movie, but the book was amazing. I am curious of others' thought about the book to movie conversion.

Last edited by MistisoMan; 08-01-02 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-27-02, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
they made a few changes (for the worse in my opinion) but it was still a good movie, just let the movie stand on it's own and don't think of it as part of a series
Spoiler:
because of the obvious and major time line differences
Old 07-27-02, 11:31 PM
Banned

Yeah, I thought that would interfere, I started with the previous Jack Ryan films, then read the book counterparts, when I read Sum Of All Fears I was all mixed up.
Old 07-28-02, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

When I heard that the terrorists were changed to skinhead-types, I knew I wouldn't watch this movie. I've read the book about 3-4 times and probably any movie version would pale in comparison.
Old 07-29-02, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Other than the title, the name of the main characters, and a nuclear bomb, nothing about the book is similar to the movie.

Dave
Old 08-01-02, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree with J-Dubya. This is my favorite Clancy book, but with all the changes that were widely publicized, I knew I would dislike the movie so I never went to see it.

And I'm not talking about the younger Ryan. I've always thought that Harrison Ford was too old and wimpy in the role in C&PD - and gone downhill from there.
Old 08-14-02, 03:35 AM

I was surprised they used this book for his next movie. It is easily his most boring, and by his own accounts Clancy wrote this book to highlight how easy it was to find bomb-making info on the web. It is one of his most technical, but I'm glad they deviated from the book for the movie. The book was not a good effort on his part... given "Without Remorse," "Rainbow Six," and others that are far more applicable for movies.
Old 08-14-02, 03:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If a movie comes out based on a book I haven't read, I see the movie first. If I like the movie enough to get the whole story, I'll devote some time to reading the book. I thought Sum of All Fears the movie was pretty good. Nothing exceptional, but definitely not bad. I plan on getting around to the book some day.
Old 08-15-02, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by sexy_overlord
If a movie comes out based on a book I haven't read, I see the movie first. If I like the movie enough to get the whole story, I'll devote some time to reading the book. I thought Sum of All Fears the movie was pretty good. Nothing exceptional, but definitely not bad. I plan on getting around to the book some day.
HERETIC!

Old 08-18-02, 09:11 PM

I can't see why they used the book title other than as a draw. The movie was totally different from the book. I would guess they had to buy the rights to the book and once the studio had them they had to make a film about terrorists with an atomic bomb even if it wasn't the ones in the book. My vote is for the book over the movie.
Greg