Reload this Page >

Visualizing movie characters while reading a book

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 07-15-02, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If there is one thing I hate, its when you read a book that has been adapted into a film and you can't get the movie characters' face and voice out of your head. I'm going through that with "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" right now. Even though I saw the movie somewhere between 3 and 5 years ago, I still can't get Jack Nicholson and the rest of the cast seperated from the book. I even had Kevin Spacey stuck in my head when I read "The Shipping News," and I hadn't even seen that yet! I just knew that he was in it.

Does anyone else hate that, or am I crazy?
Old 07-15-02, 11:11 PM

Yup. Happens to me all the time. Or else I will read a book and imagine what the characters will look like and when I see the movie I will be disapointed.
Old 07-15-02, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Nighthawk
Yup. Happens to me all the time. Or else I will read a book and imagine what the characters will look like and when I see the movie I will be disapointed.
Yeah, but for me, the look of the character is the least of my disappointment. By the way, anyone have trouble visualizing Jack Ryan in The Sum of All Fears now? Do you choose Ford, Affleck, Baldwin, or your own creation?
Old 07-16-02, 12:49 AM

Affleck, IMHO, is a grossly inadequate representation of Ryan. I don't usually create a solid visual detail in my mind of a characters physical appearance unless they are very keenly described (In fiction works where they describe animals, monsters, aliens, or different species, I have a very strong image though). A good author will, however, develop a strong sense of character and personality for me; allow me to know the character from the inside. This is where I find Affleck way off the mark. I think Ford is a great actor, but he is/was too old to be Ryan. I think that Baldwin was very close to what I imagined Ryan to be like.

Here's one that I have considered on a slightly different note for a different movie: I think Hugh Jackman did a good job as Wolverine, but what do you think about Russell Crowe for that role?

I was also extremely disappointed in the choices for Aragorn/Strider and Frodo in Lord of the Rings. Aragorn is described as being bigger and Frodo older.