Reload this Page >

Richard Matheson fans? [Updated for R.I.P.]

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 06-08-02, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just blew through 2 of his books and now I'm starting a 3rd. Stephen King credits this guy as motivating him to write.

And (may the gods forgive me when I type this) Matheson blows King away. Well at least Kings newer stuff any way.

So far I've read I Am Legend and the short stories within and the Nightmare at 20,000 Feet short story collection.

I'm currently reading Stir of Echoes.

You may be unfamiliar with his name, but you know his work. Some of which includes...

Stir of Echoes (as mentioned above )
What Dreams May Come
The Legend of Hell House
I Am Legend (Omega Man was based on this, as well as the Vincent Price movie of the same name).
Nightmare at 20,000 Feet was the first tale in Twilight Zone - The Movie.

Matheson ties his short stories up very well. It's almost as if you don't know what the hell is going to happen until the last paragraph. Sometimes the last line.

Carry on.
Old 06-08-02, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Yeah, I've been a RM fan for quite a while.

"I Am Legend" is one of those watershed horror novels. Superb twist in the end -- best kind, too -- one that's so obvious that you entirely miss it while you're reading it.

Also thought "What Dreams May Come" was pretty good, too. I'd been wanting to read it for years, but was never able to find a copy until the movie came out.
Old 06-08-02, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

'The Incredible Shrinking Man' is another good one. Maybe not quite as great as 'I Am Legend', but pretty close.
Old 06-09-02, 12:32 AM
Registered

I just happen to be reading I am Legend right now. I'm only a few chapters in to it but I am really enjoying it.
Old 06-09-02, 12:20 PM

Dress of White Silk from Nightmare at 20,000 Feet is without a doubt one of the creepiest short stories I have ever read.

The last 2 words freaked me out. I was find up until I read those 2 words. Ug.

-Steve
Old 06-10-02, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
I've read I am Legend and The Incredible Shrinking Man. I am Legend was definitely the better of the two.

The Vincent Price movie based on I am Legend was called The Last Man on Earth (1964) in the US. I saw Richard Matheson and Joe Dante several years ago and they discussed this movie. They both agreed that it heavily influenced George Romero's Night of the Living Dead (1968).

Matheson also wrote the screenplays for The Night Stalker (1972) and The Night Strangler (1973) based on Jeff Rice's novels, several of Roger Corman's Poe adaptations, and Somewhere in Time (1980) based on his own novel, Bid Time Return.
Old 06-10-02, 09:04 PM
Registered

I am Legend is also the basis for the film Omega Man: http://us.imdb.com/Title?0067525
Old 06-14-02, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
I read 4 or 5 of his books in college. The one that stuck with me the most was Hell House. For me it's a toss up between it and the Shining for best haunted house story.
Old 07-04-02, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I read I Am Legend as a kid. A great and very evocative book.
Old 07-10-02, 08:59 PM
Registered

I think I am Legened was overhyped for me. I Liked it but didn't love it. Guess I've just read too many damn vampire books
Old 07-10-02, 11:24 PM

I liked I am Legend, but it's definitely not one of my favorites of his.

An interesting twist on the vampire theme though.
Old 11-22-03, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Alien Redrum
Dress of White Silk from Nightmare at 20,000 Feet is without a doubt one of the creepiest short stories I have ever read.

The last 2 words freaked me out. I was find up until I read those 2 words. Ug.

-Steve
You wanna help me with that? I read the stroy, and didn't understand what was going on at the end.
Spoiler:
"I'm full." I'm full of what, eh?
Old 11-24-03, 11:52 AM

I have an original hardback copy of Bid Time Return, which was given to me as a gift. Great book, but the movie (Somewhere in Time) makes changes that actually improve the story.

In case you guys weren't aware, Senator Matheson in The X-Files (Fox's congressional contact and sponsor) was named after Richard Matheson.
Old 11-24-03, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
You wanna help me with that? I read the stroy, and didn't understand what was going on at the end.
Spoiler:
"I'm full." I'm full of what, eh?

Spoiler:
She ate him (the friend)

That's the way I took it.
Old 12-05-03, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He wrote 16 Twilight Zone episodes (including the classic The Invaders), Spielberg's Duel (again, adapting one of his own stories), the classic episode The Enemy Within from Star Trek. He also wrote an amazing story called The Traveler, about a time traveler who goes back to witness the Crucifixion (Michael Moorcock did a similar story called Behold the Man.) I recommend both
Old 11-18-05, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,073 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by Spooky
I have an original hardback copy of Bid Time Return, which was given to me as a gift. Great book, but the movie (Somewhere in Time) makes changes that actually improve the story.
Do tell. I am a huge fan fan of the movie but I felt the book was more realistic and explained his time travelling so much better.
Spoiler:
brain tumor
Old 11-20-05, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All I've read by him is I Am Legend, but it's great.
Old 11-20-05, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So no-one can help me out with "Dress Of White Silk"?

Originally Posted by Alien Redrum
Spoiler:
She ate him (the friend)

That's the way I took it.
I assume you mean her, as in Mary Jane.

Now, the dress is pretty to the girl, but "smells of garbage", is "all red and has a hole in it" to Mary Jane.

But I still don't get the story. It's an interesting discussion piece, but I've looked online and you know who seem to be the only people discussing it? Us.
Old 06-25-13, 05:59 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Richard Matheson fans? [Updated for R.I.P.]

From the BBC's site:
US sci-fi and fantasy writer Richard Matheson, who wrote the 1954 vampire novel I Am Legend, has died aged 87.

A spokesman for the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Films said Matheson died on Sunday in Los Angeles, but no other details were provided.

In a career spanning some 60 years, many of the author's works were adapted for both the big and small screens.

I Am Legend was his most successful, inspiring three film adaptations - most recently in 2007 starring Will Smith.

The novel was considered a landmark work in the genre, ushering in zombies and apocalyptic themes to post-WWII America.

Vincent Price starred in the first adaptation in 1964, titled as The Last Man on Earth.

Charlton Heston later starred the 1971 adaptation, Omega Man.

Born in Allendale, New Jersey, in 1926 and raised in Brooklyn, New York, Matheson first began publishing science-fiction and horror stories in the 1950s.

His earlier works adapted into films included 1953 novel Hell House, 1956's The Shrinking Man and 1958's A Stir of Echoes.

The 1978 novel What Dreams May Come was also adapted into a big screen version in 1998 starring Robin Williams, which won an Oscar for best visual effects.

Steven Spielberg's first feature-length film, Duel, was also based on Matheson's short story of the same name.

"Richard Matheson's ironic and iconic imagination created seminal science-fiction stories and gave me my first break when he wrote the short story and screenplay for Duel," Spielberg said in a statement.

"His Twilight Zones were among my favourites, and he recently worked with us on Real Steel. For me, he is in the same category as [Ray] Bradbury and [Isaac] Asimov."

Matheson also worked as a writer for numerous TV shows including The Twilight Zone, The Alfred Hitchcock Hour, The Martian Chronicles and Amazing Stories.

He penned the teleplay Nightmare at 20,000 Feet in 1963 for The Twilight Zone, which starred William Shatner and featured the famous shot of a gremlin peering into the window of an aeroplane from its wing.

He was also responsible for writing The Twilight Zone episode Steel, which inspired the 2011 Hugh Jackman film, Reel Steel.

Will Smith starred in the 2007 film version of I Am Legend Matheson is credited with influencing several generations of storytellers including Stephen King, who dedicated his 2006 novel, Cell, to him.

Matheson had been due to receive the visionary award at the Academy of Science Fiction, Horror and Fantasy Films' Saturn Awards on Wednesday.

The organisation said the award would be presented posthumously and ceremony would be dedicated to the author.
There is already a thread for this acclaimed novelist and screen/teleplay writer in Movie Talk.
Old 07-24-13, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Rest in Peace.

I've been meaning to get his short story collections. I only know of his work through adaptations but even the ideas alone are fascinating.
Old 09-10-13, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if Richard Matheson will get the Barnes & Noble Leather-bound treatment - he certainly deserves it, considering you have H.P. Lovecraft and Edgar Allan Poe as getting the treatment.