Reload this Page >

What should I read?

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

What should I read?

Old 06-03-02, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What should I read?

okay, i dont read much. last summer I read a few books cuz i had nothing better to do. This summer i have nothing better to do either so I went to the library and I couldnt figure out what to get.

These are the books I read last summer:

Timeline
Eaters of the Dead
I like Crichton and have read most of his stuff...atleast his scifi/fantasy stuff. I got airframe from the library but i heard its not that good. what i like about crichton is that he goes into alot of details about the subject. Any other authors like that?

A Brief History of Time
Billions and Billions
brief history was good, billions and billions wasn't as good. I like science stuff so i was looking for more books by sagan or hawking and didnt find any that looked that interesting at the library. anyone know of any good ones?

Brave New World
both are great. any others like this?

Genome: An Autobiography of a Species in 23 Chapters
i wanted to read on genetics and asked my cousin. she recommended a book her friend read called "genome". apparently, she meant a fiction book, the one i read was non-fiction, but i enjoyed it alot. i was looking up other books by the same author but there werent any at my library. other books in this field would interest me as well. probably good non-fiction books.

Martian Chronicles
decent. read it cuz it was recommended by a friend who is all into bradbury. it was good but i didnt like it as much as the other stuff.

The Brethren
long, but really good. it is on the supreme court. politics is another interest of mine so i was lookign for books like this as well. i was actually looking at books on the founding fathers or the federalist papers and stuff like that but almost all of em looked like biographies. i want books that are more on their politics. anyone have any good recomendations? i know there was a recent best seller on Adam, anyone read it?

I was also thinking about reading some Clancy, specifically Debt of Honor. but Clancy is long, not a big problem, but is it good? its really popular so i'm assuming its easy reading.

while at the library i also got "farewell to arms." i really enjoyed sun also rises when i read that in high school so i thought i might check out another hemingway book.
Old 06-03-02, 05:58 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[Dystopian fiction]

<small>
Originally posted by Venusian
okay, i dont read much. last summer I read a few books cuz i had nothing better to do. This summer i have nothing better to do either so I went to the library and I couldnt figure out what to get. These are the books I read last summer: [....]
Brave New World
both are great. any others like this? [....]
</small>A few first thoughts:Not to mention (d'oh) this excellent thread: Some good "end of the world" novels?
Old 06-07-02, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

well i finished reading Airframe...its not that bad. I actually enjoyed it, not as much as his other books but still good.
Old 06-07-02, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you have not yet read Catch 22, it is imperitive that you do so.

Edit: "imperative," too.

Last edited by Aghama; 06-09-02 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-07-02, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm reading a Richard Dawkins book now "The Blind Watchmaker" Its about evolution. If you like science stuff - non-fiction that is - then this is a good book.

You're Indian right? If you haven't read Salman Rushdie, you should.
Old 06-08-02, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

rushdie is the guy that wrote the satanic verses or whatever, right?

i aint muslim so i dont know if i'd be into that
Old 06-08-02, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

rushdie is the guy that wrote the satanic verses or whatever, right?

i aint muslim so i dont know if i'd be into that
i aint muslim either

It wouldn't hurt to know a little about Islam before hand, but it isn't necessary. And in his books, he seems to speak about the hindu religion (what do you call that, Hindu?) as much as he does about Islam.

He's coming from an Islamic POV, but it isn't necessary to have one to enjoy his writing. He's become one of my favorite writers lately. But its just a suggestion.

I actually got a strict methodist to read "The Satanic Verses" and she said she liked it (though she wasn't exstatic about it).
Old 06-09-02, 01:44 AM
Suspended

while at the library i also got "farewell to arms."
Hemingway is probably my fav. writer and that is by far my fav. book of his. Let me know what you think of this book.

Also, you said you like Clancy; if you haven't read WITHOUT REMORSE, I advise you to do so. Not thick on enourmous plot such as a bomb at the superbowl but an intro to a one badass named John Clark. Great book.
Old 06-09-02, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

its called Hinduism.

I'm not an hindu either but i do know a lot more about that religion, maybe i'll check it out.

I havent read any of Tom Clancy's stuff but i like the movies and i like that type of story (political), so i might check that out as well
Old 06-09-02, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

its called Hinduism.

I wonder what I was smoking when I wrote that dumn question....oh yeah.
Old 06-10-02, 02:56 PM

Venusian:

Reading through what you have read and your comments I think I am a lot like you. I have a book that I PROMISE you will love ... and when you do there are a couple other that go with it that are great as well. I never read sci-fi..first books I read and loved were all Crighton books...I've read and love them all. Sphere and Congo (despite poor movie adaptions) are great. Sphere especially you will like. Both are pretty small reads that I'm sure you would enjoy.

The book I am writing about though is Enders Game, by Orson Scott Card. This is a sci-fi book, which I had never read anything in that genre at all (with the exception of Crigtons which aren't really hard core sci-fi to me). I was tired of my political and legal thrillers (Clancy, Grisham, Greg Iles, Stephen Hunter ...great books from all, although I think some of Grisham's aren't all the best, but some were great).

Sorry I'm off on so many tangents. My point was I wanted something different and my brother recommended Enders Game. It is really good, and it isn't too long like a Clancy or anything. You need to read this one, and then after that look at Enders Shadow, which is also fabulous. Shadow of the Hegemon is good too, and there are others in the series that don't get quite as much universal praise. Check this book out though and send me an email or respond here about what you thought!
Old 06-15-02, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i've read sphere and congo...and jp, lost world, andromeda strain, eaters of the dead...

that's really weird you should mention that book. i've never read scifi, but today at work one of the guys had left his book on the desk it i think it was a book in that series. i forgot the title but i remember the name enders. it might have been the shadow of the hegemon one.

thanks for the suggestions
Old 06-16-02, 07:30 AM
Mod Emeritus

[definitions]

<small>
[....] i've never read scifi [....]
</small>Well I've only read three of those four I cited earlier but, for the main part, they are a similar kind of SF to 1984 and Brave New World that you already mentioned as having appreciated; "literary" sci-fi/speculative-fiction I guess.
Old 06-16-02, 11:16 PM

If you like Crichton, you really should read Jurassic Park. There's a reason why it's his best selling book.

If you want something really interesting to read, check out Mark Z. Danielewski's "House of Leaves". But be prepared for a mind-bending expierence. Whoa.
Old 06-16-02, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i've read sphere and congo...and jp, lost world, andromeda strain, eaters of the dead...
jp = jurassic park

i've already read it and liked it
Old 06-16-02, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by zooroaster

Hemingway is probably my fav. writer and that is by far my fav. book of his. Let me know what you think of this book.

finished it today. took me a while cuz i've worked alot lately and havent read much.

it was good, but i liked the sun also rises better (from what i remember of it). i guess the end of Farewell to Arms kinda threw me
Old 06-17-02, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i went to the library and got a couple more books:
Alas, Babylon - it was widely suggested in the thread you linked benedict

Catcher in the Rye - i remember someone posted a thread about this a while back and almost everyone in the thread said it was something you must read.
Old 07-17-02, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by ziggy
You're Indian right? If you haven't read Salman Rushdie, you should.

just picked this up and after reading just the first page i've noticed he uses many Indian words...wonder if others picked up on their meanings