Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

First stop in a bookstore, or at a sidewalk vendor

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-02, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First stop in a bookstore, or at a sidewalk vendor

When you walk into a bookstore, do you tend to look up certain authors automatically, and if so, who? Or, with a street/sidewalk vendor (common in NYC) who's books do you look for?

Mine:
Wilbur Smith
Robert Ludlum

If you don't, and you're just a general scanner, what are you scanning for? What catches your eye?
Old 05-29-02, 12:43 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It depends on the shop!

In one I always go and look at the children's section because it is a short walk from the entrance.

In another I tend to visit the crime section first.

Although the majority of my lifetime purchases have been speculative fiction of one kind or another I visit those two sections just to see what is going on in each category and in order to make/research gift purchases.

[In a "remainder" shop I frequent, I usually visit the cookery and computer sections: no point paying full retail price for eithe rof those two ]
Old 05-29-02, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

First stop is always the Tolkien books.
Old 05-29-02, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For years my first stop was the horror section. Then most bookstores did away with that particular section and started putting horror novels in with mainstream. So I guess I usually look in the mainstream fiction department first (not just for horror; I've probably read more mainstream fiction than horror simply because there's more to choose from, and because the quality of horror fiction, in my opinion, has gone WAY downhill in the last ten years). Although lately I've been buying more science fiction than anything else, so that's been my first stop.
Old 05-29-02, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I always go to see if they have Joyce's Finnegan's Wake because its weird how some stores just don't carry it, and some have never heard of it! After that, I go look to see if they have Plath's The Bell Jar because that is going to be my next read, and I'm comparing prices.
Old 05-29-02, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just wander around the bookstores until something catches my eye. If nothing stands out I usually will check out the new book, history, and sports sections. The problem I have is that I love to read so many different types of books, and I just don't have the cash to support my book habit.

Speaking of NYC, I went there around five years ago and I stumbled upon one of the greatest bookstores that I had ever seen. The place was called "The Stand." Has anyone heard of it? There were endless stacks of books, and the walls were lined with bookcases that reached to the ceiling. It was so cool. I found so many books at such low prices that I bought around 20 of them and I had to lug them 3000 miles back home. Great place, I would love to return there someday!
Old 05-30-02, 07:42 AM

I think you mean 'The Strand', and yes, its very popular. Broadway and 12th, or one on Fulton St. Here's the site link:
http://www.strandbooks.com/index.php

Great place to find a bargain, but sometimes hard to find what you're looking for.
Old 05-30-02, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

New releases every time. I have my corral of authors that I follow and get goosebumps when there is something new from one of them that I wasn't expecting: Like the new Douglas Adams book. woo-hoo!
Old 05-30-02, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Usually, I head for the clearence section. You can usually find amazing books for really cheap.