Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Any word on Book 5 in the Harry Potter series?

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Any word on Book 5 in the Harry Potter series?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-01, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harry Potter 5 scheduled for July 2002

Stumbled across this item on a Harry Potter web site. (Does Rowling only publish when Lucas puts out a Star Wars movie now? ) My daughter will be looking forward to it!

Did a quick search and didn't see this listed anywhere. Apologies if it was.
Old 08-03-01, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's two years after the last one, quite a long wait if you ask me.
Old 08-03-01, 01:52 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn.. last I heard the book was coming out a month after the movie. just in time for christmas.

july 2002 is a long time to wait.

at least I have the George R R Martin books to read.
Old 08-03-01, 05:56 PM

waiting for the next harry potter book is nothing like waiting for the next dark tower book
Old 08-03-01, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by phantom_azazel
waiting for the next harry potter book is nothing like waiting for the next dark tower book
Amen to that!
Old 08-05-01, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
I think that's just a guesstimate. July 2k1 was the estimated release for a long time and then it looks as if the sites just bumped it an extra year. HP-4 came out in July I believe. In her interviews and chats she's always said it will come out when it's finished. I'm sure it's harder to get time to write now that there's so much other stuff to take part in and oversee.

I look foward to the movie and hope the book is out early next year. I did read somewhere (an interview with someone from scholastic or something) and they said no HP-5 this year
Old 08-06-01, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the marketing for HP is becoming self-destructive by turning itself into a fad, and every little kid will be going to school with a Harry Potter backpack and notebook with a binder with a Harry Potter pencil and whatnot, and then next year, it'll be on the nasty side of a "Hot or Not?" list.

Too bad.
Old 08-06-01, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by freedexter
I think the marketing for HP is becoming self-destructive by turning itself into a fad, and every little kid will be going to school with a Harry Potter backpack and notebook with a binder with a Harry Potter pencil and whatnot, and then next year, it'll be on the nasty side of a "Hot or Not?" list.

Too bad.
Unless the movie hits it big.
Old 08-06-01, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I gotta agree with freedexter. It's nice to have some collectibles and such. But I hate to see the saturation like is happening. I think the merchandising overkill has a negative effect, too. Saw the same thing with SW: EP1. I hope it's controlled more with the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
Old 08-12-01, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It is unfortunate that Rowling had to give up some of her strict control over merchandise when she sold the movie rights to Warner Bros, but I guess that is the price she paid in order to get paid. I don't think that the merchandizing is completely awful right now, but as the movie looms closer, who knows. I don't think Harry Potter is anywhere close to being as big of a merchandizing whore as Star Wars, though.

As for Harry Potter 5
Spoiler:
(is it still officially called Order of the Pheonix?)
I don't care how long it takes Rowling to write the book, just as long as it is good. Everyone will be more disappoined with a book that comes out early and is subpar than with a book that comes out late but is excellent.
Old 08-13-01, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by silentbob007

As for Harry Potter 5
Spoiler:
(is it still officially called Order of the Pheonix?)
I don't care how long it takes Rowling to write the book, just as long as it is good. Everyone will be more disappoined with a book that comes out early and is subpar than with a book that comes out late but is excellent.

Absolutely.

And, yes, that is still the official title.
Old 08-16-01, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was hoping to see it published sometime this year... I'll definitely see the movie though. As for the book title, there's no need to hide it, the title was printed in the preview on the inside of the last book's jacket.
Old 08-17-01, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Rowling is too busy counting her MONEY to write....
I bet the next one is crap.
mini
Old 08-18-01, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Hmmm, I knew the next Harry Potter wouldn't be until July 2002 since Christmas... She put out that History of Quidditch and the other piece of crap to tide us over until then...
Old 03-17-02, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

any word on harry potter book 5?

i'm about to read the 4th book and from what i've heard.. i'll be dying for the fifth when i'm finished.. any news on this yet? (did a search on the forum, came up empty handed)
Old 03-17-02, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I heard she was writing it now, which means you'll probably be able to get to read it in 2 years or so. Personally, if I was the author I'd stop writing and spend my time lighting cigars with $1000 bills, but what do I know?
Old 03-17-02, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Apparently it's called Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. And, spoiler warning....

Spoiler:
Apparently one of the following characters will die... Hagrid, Ginny, Colin Creevey, Dumbledore, Sirius, or one of the Weasleys. But that could just be speculation. Better not be Hagrid!

Here's some stuff on a website that they claim Rowling has told in various interviews. Again, spoiler warning... I ain't even reading the next bit so I apologize for any typos.

Spoiler:
In book five, we go into a whole new area, physically, an area you've never seen before, a magical world
Book five will be scary. Harry finds out a lot of things he hasn't stumbled across so far.
In book five (Harry) has to examine exactly what death means, in even closer ways.
The Dursleys are in the next book, and there's stuff coming with them that people might not expect.
The "Arabella Figg" Dumbledore refers to at the end of book four is indeed the same Mrs. Figg that takes care of Harry for the Dursleys in book one.
You'll be seeing Mrs. (Arabella) Figg in book five, and you'll find out all about her.
Harry will see the real 'Mad-Eye' Moody in book five.
We will find out why Voldemort killed Lily and James Potter.
Something HUGE will be revealed about Lily Potter.
There will be a female Defense Against The Dark Arts teacher.
You see Lupin in Book Five. Yes, you will see a lot of old characters in Book Five.
Ginny Weasley will play more of a role in book five.
One of the main characters, one of Harry's "fans" will die.

~Scheherazade
Old 03-17-02, 09:35 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
I think the president of the Coca-Cola Co. has a big role in this title. Dentists all around the country are jumping for joy!
Old 03-18-02, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: any word on harry potter book 5?

Originally posted by pixyboi
any news on this yet? (did a search on the forum, came up empty handed)
I've seen both July and late 2002/early 2003 as dates, not sure what's right although I hope it's July.
Old 03-18-02, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The long-running rumor is July 2002. I would guess if that month is correct we will start hearing stuff in April or May. If not July I would guess by Christmas. I think Rowling may have burnt herself out with Book 4. It will be the longest of the 7 (so she says).
Old 03-19-02, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i dont understand the whole harry potter craze. i read book 3 just to see what all the hype was about.. and while it was a decent story i don't see anything that sets it apart from any other book. i wouldn't go out of my way to read any of the others.
Old 03-19-02, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by moorehed
i dont understand the whole harry potter craze. i read book 3 just to see what all the hype was about.. and while it was a decent story i don't see anything that sets it apart from any other book. i wouldn't go out of my way to read any of the others.
They are actually very good books both for children and adults, but that is just my opinion. You started with the wrong book. Starting from book 1 the next books have been progressively better. I do not know if she can top book 4 though, that would be tough.

The big thing about Harry Potter is that you give into your imagination. When I saw the movie I was shocked by how images in my mind while reading Sorcerer's Stone actually came to life in front of me.
Old 03-19-02, 11:23 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
These are fantastic books and funny, but book 3 (The Prisoner of Azkaban) was my very favorite of all of them!

AgtFox: I loved your description of the film. I have yet to see it as I will be waiting for the DVD release. But I sure hope that I am echoing those same sentiments when I do.
Old 03-19-02, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by JAA
AgtFox: I loved your description of the film. I have yet to see it as I will be waiting for the DVD release. But I sure hope that I am echoing those same sentiments when I do.
Thank you. I hope Geoff sends me the DVD when it comes out, I'm pretty excited about it.

The 3rd and 4th book are very hard to choose between, that's for sure.
Old 03-22-02, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Somehow I seriously doubt we'll see Book 5 this summer. Were the next book set to be released in June or July, you'd think the review copies would have leaked to various entertainment publications by this point and the contents of the novel would be front-page news. (Well ok - the lead "teaser" on Entertainment Tonight.)

I suspect they'll hold off releasing the novel until hype for the next film begins to build.

Personally - while I loved the Harry Potter books when the phenomenon was limited solely to the written word, nowadays I'm sort of "over" the whole business. The bland uniform look to all the toy, clothing and souvenir tie-ins, plus the made-for-tv quality of the feature film, pretty much soured me on the whole franchise.

I'll read future Harry adventures. But I don't see myself heading to the theater to see any more of these book-to-film translations. And I certainly won't wait in any line on the day the book's are set to arrive in bookstores to grab my copy early.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.