Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Could someone post the chronological order for Tom Clancy's series with Jack Ryan?

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Could someone post the chronological order for Tom Clancy's series with Jack Ryan?

Old 03-03-02, 10:59 PM
CSM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks!
Old 03-04-02, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From http://www.clancyfaq.com

Storyline Order (from first to last):

-Without Remorse
-Patriot Games
-The Hunt for Red October
-The Cardinal of the Kremlin
-Clear and Present Danger
-The Sum of All Fears
-Debt of Honor
-Executive Orders
-Rainbow Six
-The Bear and the Dragon
-"The Red Rabbit" (08/2002)
-"HITS" (08/2004)

-Brian
Old 03-04-02, 06:12 PM

Enjoy CSM,all the books are great.Cardinal of the Kremlin is a little slow and Sum of All Fears has some dull passages,but most of the books are excellant.
Old 03-04-02, 06:21 PM

Also CSM,a website called the bookworm bungalo will list authors of many books and when you click on each author they will show you their books in the correct order.
Old 03-04-02, 09:17 PM
CSM

Excellent!

Thanks for all the great information and the website. I finished HFRO first since I was under the assumption it was chronologically first and was a little confused by the fact that the storyline mentioned that Ryan had been in an altercation in England. This clears up a lot of my confusion.

CSM
Old 03-04-02, 10:33 PM

HFRO was the first published. It depends on whether you want to read them in chronological order or publishing order. I usually prefer publishing order.

The publishing order is (from the same FAQ):
The Hunt for Red October
Red Storm Rising
Patriot Games
The Cardinal of the Kremlin
Clear and Present Danger
The Sum of All Fears
Without Remorse
Submarine (non-fiction)
Debt of Honor
Armored Cav (non-fiction)
Fighter Wing (non-fiction)
Executive Orders
Marine (non-fiction)
SSN
Into the Storm with General Fred Franks (non-fiction)
Airborne (non-fiction)
Rainbow Six
Carrier (non-fiction)
Every Man a Tiger with General Chuck Horner (non-fiction)
The Bear and the Dragon (expected August, 2000)
Old 03-05-02, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

To confuse things more, the movie Sum of All Fears will now take place before all the "Ryan" novels with the exception of Without Remorse.

Also in the movie universe, Patriot Games occurs after Red October.

Also, I heard a rumor that the next Jack Ryan novel will be a throwback one (i.e. it happens sometime after Cardinal but before Sum) , but I am unsure about this

Last edited by chanster; 03-05-02 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-05-02, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
that'll explain Harrison Ford->Ben Affleck
too bad they couldn't get Harrison to come back

Originally posted by chanster
To confuse things more, the movie Sum of All Fears will now take place before all the "Ryan" novels with the exception of Without Remorse.

Also in the movie universe, Patriot Games occurs after Red October.

Also, I heard a rumor that the next Jack Ryan novel will be a throwback one (i.e. it happens sometime after Cardinal but before Sum) , but I am unsure about this
Old 03-05-02, 05:09 PM

I'd like a throwback novel.Having Jack as President really limits what he can do himself.I preferred it when he was more actively involved instead of the leader handing out assignments.Both Ryan and Clark are getting long in the tooth,maybe a spinoff series of books with Chavez going on some assignments would be worth a try.Or introduce a young protege for Ryan to mold much like he was molded by Greer,and hand it off to him after a couple books.
Old 03-15-02, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Excellent!

Originally posted by CSM
Thanks for all the great information and the website. I finished HFRO first since I was under the assumption it was chronologically first and was a little confused by the fact that the storyline mentioned that Ryan had been in an altercation in England. This clears up a lot of my confusion.

CSM
You're in for a real treat because The Hunt for Red October is by far the weakest of the series. I think it's better to read that before Patriot Games just because it would be harder to get through. And it's not like it causes any confusion or anything, it's just a "background" story.

And Without Remorse and Rainbow Six don't really have anything to do with Jack Ryan himself, but they involve some of the other characters in the "Ryanverse."

Last edited by Matt925; 03-15-02 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-16-02, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,375 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally posted by mikehunt
that'll explain Harrison Ford->Ben Affleck
too bad they couldn't get Harrison to come back

from what I hear, it's not that they couldn't get him back, it's that they didn't ask him. I seem to remember Tom Clancy saying something to the effect when he was on Conan O'Brien a year ago or so. I think the issue was his large salary.
Old 03-27-02, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cedar-

I think you may have your books confused. Its been awhile since I read Red Ocotber, but I think the "altercation in England" statement was in Cardinal of the Kremlin, not Hunt for Red October.
Old 03-27-02, 07:18 PM

Chanster-

You are confused,it was CSM who mentioned the altercation
Old 03-27-02, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What is CSM?
Old 03-27-02, 11:25 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by chanster
What is CSM?
Not "what," "who."

Look up about 10 posts.
Old 03-28-02, 12:27 PM

Here is a link to the Sum Of All Fears trailer:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramo...oaf_large.html

(I hope it gets linkified, if not just cut and paste)
Old 04-07-02, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
According to the book's summary at Amazon, the new Clancy novel, Red Rabbit, takes place after Patriot Games but before The Hunt for Red October:

Long before he was President or head of the CIA, before he fought terrorist attacks on the Super Bowl or the White House, even before a submarine named Red October made its perilous way across the Atlantic, Jack Ryan was an historian, teacher, and recent ex-Marine temporarily living in England while researching a book. A series of deadly encounters with an IRA splinter group had brought him to the attention of the CIA's Deputy Director, Vice Admiral James Greer-as well as his counterpart with the British SIS, Sir Basil Charleston-and when Greer asked him if he wanted to come aboard as a freelance analyst, Jack was quick to accept. The opportunity was irresistible, and he was sure he could fit it in with the rest of his work.

And then Jack forgot all about the rest of his work, because one of his first assignments was to help debrief a high-level Soviet defector, and the defector told an amazing tale: Top Soviet officials, including Yuri Andropov, were planning to assassinate the Pope, John Paul II.

Could it be true? As the days and weeks go by, Ryan must battle, first to try to confirm the plot, and then to prevent it, but this is a brave new world, and nothing he has done up to now has prepared him for the lethal game of cat-and-mouse that is the Soviet Union versus the United States. In the end, it will be not just the Pope's life but the stability of the Western world that is at stake. . . and it may already be too late for a novice CIA analyst to do anything about it.
Old 06-15-10, 09:33 AM

Re: Could someone post the chronological order for Tom Clancy's series with Jack Ryan

Without Remorse
Patriot Games (Based on a reference to Ryan’s age, which is 31 at the beginning of the novel. This roughly fits with a reference to the Princess of Wales expecting a baby – in reality, Prince William was born in summer 1982)
Red Rabbit (circa spring of 1983)
The Hunt for the Red October
The Cardinal of the Kremlin (1987)
Clear and Present Danger (1988)
The Sum of All Fears (1991–92)
Debt of Honor (1995–96)
Executive Orders (1996)
Rainbow Six
The Bear and the Dragon (2000)
The Teeth of the Tiger (2005, based on the age of Jack Ryan Jr.)
Old 06-15-10, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Could someone post the chronological order for Tom Clancy's series with Jack Ryan

You really needed to resurrect this thread for that?
Old 06-15-10, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't even realize I was reading a 2002 thread... I was like "wow a link to Sum of All Fears Trailer, they're remaking it already?!?"