Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Star Wars Novels: news, questions & discussion thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-08, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Bump because book #5 "Sacrifice" of the Legacy of the Force series will be out on paperback on Tues. I'm midway through book #4 "Exile." I think the series has been pretty good so far. Last book #9 "Invincible" will be out May 13 in hardcover, paperback about a year away.

I finished reading all the Zahn books a while back, I hesitated to read Outbound Flight but it was pretty good, a must-read for Thrawn fans. Survivor's Quest goes along nicely with it, too. I thought the Thrawn duology was good.
Old 04-24-08, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The new Darth Bane book ("Rule of Two") is pretty good. I got burned out on reading the PT/OT books so this ones right up my alley.
Old 05-25-08, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also like the Darth Bane storyline. Just finished reading "Invincible" (the final episode of the Legacy of the Force series) and was very satisfied with the nine-book series. It's great to be able to go back and re-live these characters in new and refreshing ways...
Old 07-23-10, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Star Wars Novels: news, questions & discussion thread [merged]

And another bump since some Star Wars chatter came up in the HD forum.

Interest in the EU had faded in the last two years, but I'm still reading something now and then. DO plan to give the X-Wings books a try someday.
Last few I read:
Death Star - good.
Jedi Academy Trilogy - good.
First two Lost Tribe of Sith ebooks: not good.
Dark Nest Trilogy: eh.

Looking back at the LOTF series, it seems to be a disappointment. Haven't read the new Fate of the Jedi series, but people don't seem too happy with it so far. New comics look interesting.
Old 07-23-10, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ranger
And another bump since some Star Wars chatter came up in the HD forum.

Interest in the EU had faded in the last two years, but I'm still reading something now and then. DO plan to give the X-Wings books a try someday.
Last few I read:
Death Star - good.
Jedi Academy Trilogy - good.
First two Lost Tribe of Sith ebooks: not good.
Dark Nest Trilogy: eh.

Looking back at the LOTF series, it seems to be a disappointment. Haven't read the new Fate of the Jedi series, but people don't seem too happy with it so far. New comics look interesting.
I highly recommend the X-Wing series. I loved it. I, Jedi is also one of my favs. I thought LOTF was just okay, and was kind of pissed with the events that unfolded. I haven't started up Fate of the Jedi yet, but plan to at some point.
Old 06-24-11, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

http://starwars.com/vault/books/star...nts/index.html

Looks pretty cool besides the price tag. :P
Old 06-28-11, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, $500 is a lot.

Today was the day a bunch of SW books went digital like the other thread said.

I am pretty excited to see how many books were added. Every title from Del Rey and Bantam, both are subsidiaries of Random House.

BN SW nook

Amazon SW kindle - amazon is still a bit flaky so not all books were showing up in a search so this shows SW books added in last 30 days.

Looks like everything is there except the JJK and YJK which were published by Boulevard/Berkley Jam.
Old 06-29-11, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ranger
Yeah, $500 is a lot.

Today was the day a bunch of SW books went digital like the other thread said.

I am pretty excited to see how many books were added. Every title from Del Rey and Bantam, both are subsidiaries of Random House.

BN SW nook

Amazon SW kindle - amazon is still a bit flaky so not all books were showing up in a search so this shows SW books added in last 30 days.

Looks like everything is there except the JJK and YJK which were published by Boulevard/Berkley Jam.

Thanks for the reminder. Not too happy with the prices, but I jumped on the collection of Brian Daley's Han Solo books for $8. I read those when I was a kid, checking each one out from the library. Hope they're as fun as I remember.
Old 07-15-11, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

First Look: Darth Plagueis Novel

In Revenge of the Sith, while attending a ballet, Supreme Chancellor Palpatine casually mentions to Anakin Skywalker the tale of Darth Plagueis. Plagueis was a Sith Lord so wise and powerful, that he could even manipulate the Force to create life or stop death in others. Ironically, such a powerful being could not prevent his own death, for in the way of the Sith, Plagueis was killed in his sleep by his apprentice.

Palpatine told the captivating tale to start certain wheels spinning in the Chosen One's head. Ever since then, Star Wars fans have been clamoring to know more about Plagueis. Author James Luceno delves into the secrets of the dark side to find out more about Darth Sidious and Darth Plagueis in a new hardcover novel, Star Wars: Darth Plagueis, due out this winter.
Old 01-17-12, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really? Fans were "clamoring" for this story?

"Please feed us more pablum. nom nom nom"
Old 01-17-12, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did you read it?
Old 01-18-12, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't read a Star Wars book in years but I'm kinda interested in the Darth Plagueis novel. That section in Revenge of the Sith where Palpatine mentioned Plagueis always interested me and this is the first I've heard of the book...gonna add it to my reading list.
Old 01-19-12, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Darth Plagueis will be coming to me eventually from sfbc
probably take me a while to read it, as I have a back log of books and magazines. I haven't been reading much lately
Old 01-26-12, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

First 50 pages of Plagueis.
http://sf-fantasy.suvudu.com/2012/01...es-luceno.html

Think I will skip Plagueis, though I am interested in the X-Wing Mercy Kill book (out on HC and ebook August 2012).
Old 01-27-12, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.

a new X-Wing book
awesome
Old 01-27-12, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by mikehunt
a new X-Wing book
awesome
If it didn't have "X-Wing" in the title, I doubt I would bother. I gave up on the Fate of the Jedi series, Revan was horrible, and, about 100 pages in, Darth Plageus is not any better. SW books have always been my guilty pleasure, and for a long, long time, I bought and read every one. But, almost everything since the end of the New Jedi Order has been terrible, including titles from normally reliable writers. I'll give this new X-Wing a shot, but I'm pretty much done at this point.
Old 01-29-12, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rmorgan
If it didn't have "X-Wing" in the title, I doubt I would bother. I gave up on the Fate of the Jedi series, Revan was horrible, and, about 100 pages in, Darth Plageus is not any better. SW books have always been my guilty pleasure, and for a long, long time, I bought and read every one. But, almost everything since the end of the New Jedi Order has been terrible, including titles from normally reliable writers. I'll give this new X-Wing a shot, but I'm pretty much done at this point.
I used to buy all the books as they came out
not sure exactly when I stopped but it was around the new jedi order time frame. Was there a break of a few years with the books?
some of what I read about happening in the new jedi order and later books kept me from bothering with them although I have read a few of the books since the prequels including Dark Lord and Allegiance. My brother gave me the 3-1 edition of Labyrinth of Evil, ROTS and Dark Lord. I'm going to read ROTS and then read Darth Plageus as it came this week

Part of my problem is that I don't read books as much as I used to.I still have a few of S. M. Stirling's emberverse books to finish.
In high school and college I used to go through books left and right even with school work to do, and that was the prime SW EU novel time frame IMO
Old 02-01-12, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I haven't kept up in years and I've considered drastically downsizing my novel collection, but one thing I always wanted to read was Luke and Leia (finally) discovering info about their parents. Are there maybe a select few novels that deal with this?

tks
Old 02-01-12, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I'm not the hugest Star Wars fan anymore, however I have been kind of curious to read Shadows of the Empire. I know it's been out for a long time already but just wondering is it actually worth picking up and reading or not so much?
Old 02-01-12, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

re: Leia and Luke's parents: I think the closest would be Leia in Tatooine Ghost and Luke in The Dark Nest Trilogy. It's just brief stuff, and I wouldn't really recommend either.

re: Shadows of the Empire: Sure, go for it. It has some cringe moments with Leia, but the rest is quite enjoyable.

I really liked the Corellian Trilogy and recommend it.

Last edited by Ranger; 02-01-12 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-02-12, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks Ranger. I've read Ghost, and I might try to find the Dark Nest books at the library.

Also a fan of Shadows, would love to see it as an animated feature.
Old 02-06-12, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I seem to remember the stuff in Dark Nest was so minor it could have not even been there and the plot wouldn't have changed a bit. More of an after thought.

I always wanted a novel that directly dealt with Luke & Leia finding out about their parents. Set it between other novels so they aren't in their 60's. Have them go to Naboo & meet relatives.

One thing have noticed is that there still seems to be the OT & PT split in the novels. They are still written as ep4-6 are separate from 1-3. Tatooine Ghost probably is one of the few that did mix elements of both trilogies together. More mixing is needed. How about a novel for the OT characters where someone has found a huge army of the Separetists technology. See how Han & Luke deal with Battle Droids & stuff from the Clone Wars. Now that all 6 movies are out, no reason they can't use elements of the whole saga.
Old 02-09-12, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by resinrats
I seem to remember the stuff in Dark Nest was so minor it could have not even been there and the plot wouldn't have changed a bit. More of an after thought.

I always wanted a novel that directly dealt with Luke & Leia finding out about their parents. Set it between other novels so they aren't in their 60's. Have them go to Naboo & meet relatives.

One thing have noticed is that there still seems to be the OT & PT split in the novels. They are still written as ep4-6 are separate from 1-3. Tatooine Ghost probably is one of the few that did mix elements of both trilogies together. More mixing is needed. How about a novel for the OT characters where someone has found a huge army of the Separetists technology. See how Han & Luke deal with Battle Droids & stuff from the Clone Wars. Now that all 6 movies are out, no reason they can't use elements of the whole saga.
That might actually get me back into SW novels. There's a few Trek novels that have done that and I love having such a big sandbox for authors to play in like that.
Old 02-09-12, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

R.A. Salvatore (Vector Prime author) said the LFL editors made him do that to Chewie, calls it "only thing I've ever regretted.'
http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/s...wie_143570.asp
I think the NJO worked out fine, though.
Old 02-09-12, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Something had to be done about the character shield. As bad as Kirk's death was handled in Generations, it still meant that he was mortal. The Star Wars books were kinda repetitive with regards to how nobody ever really got hurt.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.