DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/book-talk-18/)
-   -   Help finding [cheap online] book outlet (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/book-talk/177180-help-finding-%5Bcheap-online%5D-book-outlet.html)

El-Kabong 01-23-02 07:49 PM

Help finding a new book outlet

Bah - I'm bitter. The Waldenbooks nearby work is closing in a day or so, cutting me off from my convenient book seller. Suddenly my 10 percent discount card wont cover the 15 or so miles I have to go out of my way to the next nearest store (not to mention the parking).

Then it occurred to me - I buy everything else online, DVD's, toys, video games - why the heck am I still buying books the old way. Going to a B&M is so 20th century.

So, I'll ask this of the knowledgeable and intelligent DVDtalkers - do you know of any good on-line book dealers? Folks who can cut a really good deal on stuff? (BTW - Amazon is right out. I live in Washington state, so getting hit with tax AND shipping is simply unacceptable. There has to be a cheaper alternative).

is there a search engine like dvdpricesearch.com, but for books? That would be the sweet way to go.

renaldow 01-23-02 09:29 PM

There's always www.bn.com, and if there's an actual Barnes & Nobel in your area I believe they were affiliated with Walden and can take your discount card. Or someone can, maybe it was someone else, don't listen to me I'm rambling.

For online check out www.powells.com They'll have/get whatever you want and are located in Oregon, so no tax to anyone.

Blade 01-23-02 10:03 PM

www.mysimon.com has a book search.

Also, check out DVDTalk's list of stores as there is at least one discount book seller in there.

And then ebay and half.com can be good places to find new books fairly cheap.

-David

JAA 01-24-02 06:57 AM

I have ordered from www.alldirect.com many times. They offer some very competitive prices. You may also want to do a price search here www.pricescan.com.

Josh-da-man 01-24-02 12:31 PM

Don't count Amazon out just yet.

Not long ago, they've made their free shipping for orders over $99 a permanent fixture. Considering they have a 30% discount on most higher-priced trade paperbacks and hardcovers, it works out to a good deal if you can order in bulk -- even if you have to pay sales tax.

Geoff H 01-24-02 01:37 PM

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Don't count Amazon out just yet.

Not long ago, they've made their free shipping for orders over $99 a permanent fixture. Considering they have a 30% discount on most higher-priced trade paperbacks and hardcovers, it works out to a good deal if you can order in bulk -- even if you have to pay sales tax.

This is good news.
Also considering that Amazon.com made their first profit ever this last quarter, perhaps Amazon my decide to try and reclaim the price-leadership position it once held.

sinned 01-25-02 03:03 AM

Re: Help finding a new book outlet

Originally posted by El-Kabong
is there a search engine like dvdpricesearch.com, but for books? That would be the sweet way to go.
Try www.bookfinder.com

J-Dubya 01-25-02 12:07 PM

www.allbooks4less.com is running buy2 get 1 free sale right now(used about 5 times)

www.doublediscount.com is good for newer releases(used once)

www.hamiltonbook.com (ordering from catalog is flat $2.95 for whole shipment)

www.bestbookbuys.com will list coupons/deals

BoatDrinks 01-25-02 04:24 PM

Originally posted by renaldow
There's always www.bn.com, and if there's an actual Barnes & Nobel in your area I believe they were affiliated with Walden and can take your discount card.
Yes, bn.com!

You caan use your discount card online, saving a few more pennies and they seem (imho) to have more books available for that sacred "ship in 24 hrs" than does Amazon.

benedict 01-26-02 12:52 PM

Various recommendations, some mirroring those above, were made on <A HREF="http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=105265" target="_blank">this</a> thread.