Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Andy McNab - Action Thriller God

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-01, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Andy McNab - Action Thriller God

I just read Crisis Four, and immediately started his new one - Firewall.

Combine the best of the military/government/assassin/thriller/action genres.

WOW!
Old 12-21-01, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have anything to add. It's just that your post seemed really lonely.

I'm glad you like your book!

Old 12-23-01, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree!! I've had him on my list to read for sometime now and finally started his books. There was an article in Enterainment Weekly a few weeks back, and that fueled me even more. He is an interesting guy for sure. He worked as an consultant on the movie Heat, to make sure the Bank Hiest scene was accurate. He still has a contract on his head for the work he did against Columbian drug cartels, so he cannot show his face in public. On most novels you'll see the authors mug on the jacket but not him. In that EW article he was wearing a ski mask with eye slits and thats it. He will not hold book signings at stores because of bomb and death threats. Very intriguing. I just got done reading Remote Control the first book that introduces us to Nick Stone. Good character. Great read.
Old 12-23-01, 03:33 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not really my scene but....

.... I thought one or two might be interested:
The film rights to British writer and former SAS officer Andy McNab's book Crisis Four have been bought by Miramax and according to the books publishers Corgi, "The process is already several stages down the line."
Spoiler:
The book tells the story of a "steel-willed" British woman who is recruited by bin Laden to work her way into American security, blow up the White House and kill the president. The book's hero Nick Stone, a former SAS man who McNab says is "partly autobiographical" has the task of hunting down the woman.
McNab is aware that the film will attract criticism when so many studios are avoiding any mention of terrorism or the World Trade Centre but insists he is not jumping on the bandwagon as the book was first published in 1999. "Many people have bought the book since September 11 because of the coincidences," he told the Daily Telegraph. "It shows that you don't have to have a beard and a turban to be working for bin Laden."

Mystery surrounds the identity of the real Andy McNab as he writes under a pseudonym and there are no photographs of him although his books which lift the lid on the secret world of the SAS have been hugely successful worldwide. His 1994 novel Bravo Two Zero about his unit's experiences in Iraq during the Gulf war sold over a million copies in the UK alone.
The men of the SAS have known hardship before they ever join. The selection process is, as one might expect, gruelling. Probably the most testing element is the Long Drag.

It is a 40-mile trek over the Brecon Beacons, carrying a 55-pound backpack, that does not include the required food and water. Only about one in every 12 soldiers passes the course.
Old 12-27-01, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you read Bravo Two Zero? It's the best military book I've ever read, I couldn't put it down.