Reload this Page >

"PLAGIARISM" and Harry Potter

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

"PLAGIARISM" and Harry Potter

Old 07-28-09, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: "PLAGIARISM" and Harry Potter

I have a friend who wrote a bestselling novel and was later accused by a woman of plagiarizing her work. Fortunately it never made it to a lawsuit -- when confronted by the evidence disproving her claim, she backed down. (As it turns out, their ideas weren't even remotely similar.) So this kind of thing happens all the time. It's tempting to say that the plaintiffs are just looking for money, but I think a lot of times they honestly believe they've been aggrieved.
Old 07-28-09, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by starman9000
The Dan Brown thing had more merit than this, and wasn't that laughed out of court?
The authors of Holy Blood, Holy Grail had spent the last thirty years insisting that their book was non-fiction, which means Brown is free to take "facts" from it, the same as if he wrote a Western and used a biography of Jesse James as a source.
Old 07-28-09, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: YHBT/judging "art"

Originally Posted by benedict
Let's try to neutralise the, er, contentious post before anyone bites:
Unfortunatly, you focused on the wrong word. The important one as it relates to this discussion is: derivative.
Old 07-28-09, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: YHBT/judging "art"

Originally Posted by mgbfan
Unfortunatly, you focused on the wrong word. The important one as it relates to this discussion is: derivative.
Exactly, the word "derivative" is relevant to the discussion while the word "garbage" was flamebait. He was just trying to head off a side argument over the actual quality of Rowling's work, which has nothing to do with the topic at hand.
Old 07-28-09, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Originally Posted by mikehunt
I'm sure Lucas got ideas from somewhere, but some of the scenes in Potter were just too close to SW scenes for me to not comment
The visuals in the movies are not the books

Someone mentioned the quiddich games, but book quiddich is about characters and whats going on in the stands and in Harry's head